Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
TopTier Gas

Union 76, Arco, Chevron, Shell....etc

1570815342206.jpeg

Is it real? Or is it marketing BS?

Does anyone have any scientific proof that TopTier fuel actually exists?

If more additives are added at the refinery per the retail customer order, does anyone have any proof it's really done?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Most cars I've seen, they tell you to use regular unleaded. I've also seen a couple tricked out trucks that need a higher octane rating to run better. But towards the efficacy of what you are asking?
Good luck.
I wouldn't buy it. :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Really, you can put additives in your tank that'll do pretty much the same thing. I used Sea Foam in my older truck and it seemed to work quite well.

What I look for is fuel without ethanol added. Really only useful if you store fuel, but it's worth noting.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I admit I use it. I read their list of gasoline brand names and I make sure I'm filling up from one of them. But I still can't help but wonder if this is just a scam, 'audiophile' gasoline if you will. More scientific testing is needed here.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've never seen it, but will be on the lookout now....

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I admit I use it. I read their list of gasoline brand names and I make sure I'm filling up from one of them. But I still can't help but wonder if this is just a scam, 'audiophile' gasoline if you will. More scientific testing is needed here.
Did you read the Consumer Reports article? They actually disassembled engines to determine the difference. I doubt anyone is going to invest more than that to test what amounts to a marketing campaign. If you smell a scam, just don't use it. Most non-name brand stations aren't Top Tier. Costco is in Top Tier, for example, and at least in my area they're the cheapest gas available, especially for premium. Where I live premium is often 60-80 cents per gallon higher than "regular unleaded".

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I remember when Quick Trip was running some adds about being a top tier. I usually fill up at one of these stations but have on occasion used Kroger (with points) or RaceTrac. I would guess there is some truth in this and I try to avoid any no name stations with no name gasoline.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Did you read the Consumer Reports article? They actually disassembled engines to determine the difference. I doubt anyone is going to invest more than that to test what amounts to a marketing campaign. If you smell a scam, just don't use it. Most non-name brand stations aren't Top Tier. Costco is in Top Tier, for example, and at least in my area they're the cheapest gas available, especially for premium. Where I live premium is often 60-80 cents per gallon higher than "regular unleaded".
Yes, I read it. Have you read testimony from refinery fuel truck drivers? Many claim that they have never added anything to the fuel tank in all the years they delivered fuel products to various customers.

I just want the truth that's all.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I just want the truth that's all.
You can't handle the truth!

https://www.exxon.com/en/fuel-journey
From the refinery, gasoline and diesel fuels are transported via pipelines, ships and railways to terminals. It is at the terminals that ExxonMobil adds detergents and additives to formulate our own unique, high quality blends.
https://chevroncorp.gcs-web.com/news-releases/news-release-details/chevrontexaco-meets-new-top-tier-detergent-gasoline
All gasoline sold at Chevron-branded stations use ChevronTexaco's proprietary gasoline additive Techron. The patented Techron additive is added to gasoline at marketing terminals strategically located around the country. This special blend of gasoline is trucked to Chevron-branded gasoline stations for exclusive sale to ChevronTexaco customers.
In those cases I could quickly get a Google hit for, seems like the fuel truck drivers wouldn't have anything to do with adding detergents.

R

RandomBri

Enthusiast
TopTier Gas

Union 76, Arco, Chevron, Shell....etc

View attachment 31790

Is it real? Or is it marketing BS?

Does anyone have any scientific proof that TopTier fuel actually exists?

If more additives are added at the refinery per the retail customer order, does anyone have any proof it's really done?
I like to think it is. Research says as long as you use Top Tier you should never need an engine flush, let alone sea foam or Techron additive.

As I understand it all members agree to self report and they do as they want to keep it exclusive. I believe it’s hand blended in, when a trucker fills his tanker at a refinery for delivery it’s added there or by him and is stired in. Possibly it’s done in the ground once delivered. Can’t say it would be very uniform but they have shown it works.

For me I either always fill at Costco or Shell with fuel rewards as they seem safe. Both are top tier so no harm done.

I have used crappy local citigas and had a car loose power with it before. But it could of been a thousand things.

I say buy cheap Costco and you get it anyway. Can’t hurt.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Top Tier simply means when people buy a lot of it, someone in the Marketing Dept. at ARCO, Shell, Exxon/Mobil, etc, get a raise and a 'TOP TIER' management position :p:p

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I believe it’s hand blended in, when a trucker fills his tanker at a refinery for delivery it’s added there or by him and is stired in.
There is testimony from drivers who dispute that.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Oh I can handle the truth. It's blind faith in oil companies I have a hard time with. ;)
I don't understand threads like this, OOP. You started it with a hidden agenda, by hidden I mean that you made it look like you were open-minded yet you're ignoring the evidence. And all you have to do if you don't believe the marketing message is to avoid using such gas. What is your objective?

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Then ignore threads like this Irv. We'll let others contribute their input.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Okay, I can sleep now.
I'm so relieved that you finally read the Consumer Reports article, which quotes the AAA article that finally convinces you. I'm not sure it should convince you though, so just make it a nap. If you actually read the AAA article, they use an older Ford port-injected engine for the testing. Port-injected engines are largely obsolete now, having been replaced by direct-injection engines. Port-injected engines are more susceptible to intake valve build-up because the air-fuel mixture is created at the cylinder head port, and the mixture is then sucked past the intake valve, wetting the top side of the valve. That's where the build-up occurs. In a direct-injected engine clogging can still occur, but it's at the injector not the intake valves, and it takes a lot longer to build up. So the photos in the article and the test results are only applicable to older port-injected vehicles. Are detergents in gasoline still a good thing? Yes. But using a periodic cleaner like Techron or one of its many competitors still looks like a good idea.

Nonetheless, apparently the Top Tier marketing program has some substance to it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis