Took the new bike out for a spin

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I did a 109km round trip yesterday in 5hr 34 min. Not my best time but I specifically took it easy as this was my first long distance trip for the year without building up to it. Lots of fallen trees and debris littered spots on the path. I only stopped to take pics of the bigger trees. Some I could walk the bike around, the other I had to walk under..

IMG_6757.jpg
IMG_6758.jpg

I met up with this beautiful specimen
IMG_6760.jpg

IMG_6761.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hey that's a healthy distance for an early season ride! So where's the pic of the new bike?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I've been tempted to drive down and suggest doing a ride together for fun. I'm not so sure that I could keep up. :D

We returned last weekend from 19 days in Portugal. Part of the trip was hiking the Fisherman's Trail (Rota Vicentina) with another couple that are also into hiking. 4 days of hiking over 5 days, about 20km each day. Lots of sandy dunes and 30 degree weather which was tough going, but proud that we managed it just the same. Scenery was incredible with many of the May flowers in bloom. We met many people from all over Europe and NA including some other Canadians along the way. Great experience.
PXL_20220508_150545191_copy_1612x907.jpg

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Got out for a ride today myself, just before another session of rain and snow up at higher elevations hits us (and super welcome, helluva lot better than fire danger)
052622 alpine.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah the ass doesn't always agree with that first big ride, eh?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I posted the pic of the new bike back in October of 2021. My ass is still telling me it happened.
So, you're gonna make us work for it?

Worst. Day. Ever.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Pics are here. I can't take new pics as I had to bring it back into the shop yesterday as the dam thing needs its shifting adjusted. It started to continuously hunts between adjacent gears.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pics are here. I can't take new pics as I had to bring it back into the shop yesterday as the dam thing needs its shifting adjusted. It started to continuously hunts between adjacent gears.

That should be a simple thing to do for yourself...probably just a bit of adjustment for cable housing settling in with the barrel adjuster...but then again many shops will do it for free on a new bike....

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

That's a good looking bike. I bought a cheap, used MTB last year for my knee therapy because my old Trek road bike has become too tall for me- not sure why......

If I have to stop quickly, landing on my bad leg would be a problem on the Trek, so the lower step-over height of the MTB works better. Of course, I couldn't leave it as-is, so I changed the brake pads, tore it apart for a good clean & lube (it REALLY needed lube), took the straight bar/brake levers off of the Trek (had converted it to hybrid a long time ago), replaced the cables/housings & grip shifters, then realized that the chainrings were very worn, so I replaced the crankset/bottom bracket. It's a Giant Sedona from about 2001-2004 and had vinyl decal stripes and I'm not a fan of those, so they came off, too.

Is the angle of the saddle wrong, or was it just one of the first rides of the season?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Seat angle is correct but one thing I did learn yesterday at the shop is not to be wearing any underwear while wearing padded bicycle shorts. At least thats what one of the sales people who bikes a lot told me. He asked me what brand of shorts I was wearing and I told him stuff from Amazon.

He kinda rolled his eyes and gave me the "no wonder your ass hurts" look. He showed me a couple of shorts that Bushtukah (store from which I bought the bike) and they were listing at $156 Cdn and the padding wasnt anywhere near as extensive nor as thick as the Amazon brand.

Its my 1st over 56km ride which I do a couple of times a week. My ass is ok for these shorter stretches.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thick padding isn't necessarily a good thing, it's also about wicking moisture. At least they've advanced these days away from actual chamois ;). Like saddles with excessive padding, causes more issues than it solves especially over the long run (or just long rides). Look at Garneau perhaps, a Canadian brand. Good shorts will cost some bucks, tho if you want some of the best look at Assos (serious name, very expensive and well made). Definitely do not wear underwear with cycling shorts.....even if an unpadded short (many mountain bike shorts are unpadded) better to get a proper liner for cycling purposes. Those Amazon shorts I'd pass on.

ps Looking at highfigh's post and your saddle it did look cocked off to the side in one photo....but the angle of the saddle horizontally looks fine.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Thick padding isn't necessarily a good thing, it's also about wicking moisture. At least they've advanced these days away from actual chamois ;). Like saddles with excessive padding, causes more issues than it solves especially over the long run (or just long rides). Look at Garneau perhaps, a Canadian brand. Good shorts will cost some bucks, tho if you want some of the best look at Assos (serious name, very expensive and well made). Definitely do not wear underwear with cycling shorts.....even if an unpadded short (many mountain bike shorts are unpadded) better to get a proper liner for cycling purposes. Those Amazon shorts I'd pass on.

ps Looking at highfigh's post and your saddle it did look cocked off to the side in one photo....but the angle of the saddle horizontally looks fine.
I fixed that cocked off to the side issue

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis