too tight of a fit for my Onkyo TX-SR507?

R

robodoc

Audiophyte
I had a custom stereo cabinet built before I bought my components. Maybe that was bass ackwards but so be it.

Turns out I have 1/16" clearance for the height of my receiver, an Onkyo TX-SR507. Am I asking for trouble, i.e. premature failure of the receiver from heat build up by putting it in such a tight spot?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Onkyo receivers tend to run hotter than many others and even if it was another brand, 1/16" would never allow it to cool.

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
Agree with the above. You would want at least 4" of clearance; even than a fan would be a good idea.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
1/16" isn't enough clearance for any receiver. Shoot for at least a few inches.

P

popotoys

Audioholic
Like ParkerAudio says, can you drill a few holes in the shelf it sits on as well as the shelf above it?

H

Highbar

Senior Audioholic
My next entertainment rack will be an open design so there's plenty of room around my equipment. With your situation you're going to need some air flow around it. If I were you I would be looking at ways to put intake and exhaust fans around the receiver. Just one or the other with such tight clearances could starve the unit of any air at all.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Can the shelving be moved or replaced?

If you do go with the plan to vent through the upper shelf. You'd have to make sure the hot air has somewhere to go.
You want hot are to go up, and out; to take advantage of the laws of physics, and heats' ability to naturally rise.

I'd cut one hole, large enough to accommodate a fan, and pull the hot air out, along with venting below to allow cool air in.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I had a custom stereo cabinet built before I bought my components. Maybe that was bass ackwards but so be it.

Turns out I have 1/16" clearance for the height of my receiver, an Onkyo TX-SR507. Am I asking for trouble, i.e. premature failure of the receiver from heat build up by putting it in such a tight spot?
Just remodify your custom stereo cabinet. That will make it a Super Custom one. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis