Too small room: Floorstanding ou Bookshelf speakers?

remomoreira

remomoreira

Audioholic Intern
I intend to build a modest home theater in a room of only 10.58 square meters (4.15m x 2.55m; height: 2.60m).
Given the small size of the space, is it totally unfeasible to use Floorstanding Speakers, and is it mandatory to use bookshelve speakers, or is there any flexibility regarding this option?
My intention would be to buy the Pioneer AV VSX-534 5.2 Channels Receiver.
What do friends think?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I intend to build a modest home theater in a room of only 10.58 square meters (4.15m x 2.55m; height: 2.60m).
Given the small size of the space, is it totally unfeasible to use Floorstanding Speakers, and is it mandatory to use bookshelve speakers, or is there any flexibility regarding this option?
My intention would be to buy the Pioneer AV VSX-534 5.2 Channels Receiver.
What do friends think?
Do you have room for a subwoofer? You won't be missing anything using bookshelf speakers if they are accompanied by a subwoofer. But it depends on the subwoofer, bookshelf speakers, and towers speakers being considered here.

remomoreira

remomoreira

Audioholic Intern
Do you have room for a subwoofer? You won't be missing anything using bookshelf speakers if they are accompanied by a subwoofer. But it depends on the subwoofer, bookshelf speakers, and towers speakers being considered here.
Yes ShadyJ, I intendo to use subwoofers.
I already have 04 of them, Sony, with this spec:

Subwoofers (SA-WP16)
Speaker System: Active, Magnetically Shielded Subwoofer
Speaker unit: 250 mm cone type
Enclosure Type: Acoustic Volume-loaded Bass Reflex
RMS output: 165 W (6 ohms, 100 Hz, 10% THD)
Input: LINE IN (input jacks)
Power: 127 V / 220 V AC, 60 Hz
Consumption: 80 W
Dimensions (W x H x D) (approx.): 335 × 410 × 412 mm including front panel
Weight (approx.) 10.6 kg

Are they fitting?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, you could certainly do better as far as subs go performance-wise; having four of these is not a space concern? Just think of many tower speakers as simply being a bookshelf speaker with a built-in stand and little advantage when using subs. Just depends how much of the speakers/subs you want to replace after your avr from the HTIB set died.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yes ShadyJ, I intendo to use subwoofers.
I already have 04 of them, Sony, with this spec:

Subwoofers (SA-WP16)
Speaker System: Active, Magnetically Shielded Subwoofer
Speaker unit: 250 mm cone type
Enclosure Type: Acoustic Volume-loaded Bass Reflex
RMS output: 165 W (6 ohms, 100 Hz, 10% THD)
Input: LINE IN (input jacks)
Power: 127 V / 220 V AC, 60 Hz
Consumption: 80 W
Dimensions (W x H x D) (approx.): 335 × 410 × 412 mm including front panel
Weight (approx.) 10.6 kg

Are they fitting?
You should be set in the sub department. I think you can use bookshelf speakers just fine. Don't worry about missing anything from not going with tower speakers. Tower speakers are better in larger rooms anyway.

remomoreira

remomoreira

Audioholic Intern
You should be set in the sub department. I think you can use bookshelf speakers just fine. Don't worry about missing anything from not going with tower speakers. Tower speakers are better in larger rooms anyway.
Ok ShadyJ, thanks a lot! :)

remomoreira

remomoreira

Audioholic Intern
Well, you could certainly do better as far as subs go performance-wise; having four of these is not a space concern? Just think of many tower speakers as simply being a bookshelf speaker with a built-in stand and little advantage when using subs. Just depends how much of the speakers/subs you want to replace after your avr from the HTIB set died.
I got it. It actually makes sense.
Thank you lovinthehd.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Four subs, even very modest ones like you have, should help you achieve smooth bass response. Choose mains that work in the near-field (this doesn't necessarily limit you to bookshelf speakers, e.g. KEF towers, which by virtue of their coaxial drivers work well in the near field). And choose speakers with uniform, smooth off-axis response (which is advisable in any case, but particularly for smaller rooms which exhibit a lower ratio of direct to reflected sound hitting your ears).

remomoreira

remomoreira

Audioholic Intern
Four subs, even very modest ones like you have, should help you achieve smooth bass response. Choose mains that work in the near-field (this doesn't necessarily limit you to bookshelf speakers, e.g. KEF towers, which by virtue of their coaxial drivers work well in the near field). And choose speakers with uniform, smooth off-axis response (which is advisable in any case, but particularly for smaller rooms which exhibit a lower ratio of direct to reflected sound hitting your ears).
Thank you ski2xblac!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with HD. 4 subs will help smooth for sure, but they’re not gonna dig very deep. I would also consider upgrading them. In fact I would rather have 2 great subs than 4 mediocre ones. Im mainly concerned about 1 or 2 seats though.

remomoreira

remomoreira

Audioholic Intern
I agree with HD. 4 subs will help smooth for sure, but they’re not gonna dig very deep. I would also consider upgrading them. In fact I would rather have 2 great subs than 4 mediocre ones. Im mainly concerned about 1 or 2 seats though.
You´re right.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis