Too Loud Commercials

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
It has probably been asked and answered before, but does anyone have a solution for automatic volume leveling or muting overly loud TV commercials?

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Check your receivers manual for "Dynamic Volume" or something along those lines.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
dynamic manual volume control via supplied remote control and index finger or thumb. :p

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Dolby Volume will be included on new cable boxes and apparently many existing ones can be updated to incorporate it as well simply via firmware.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Dolby Volume will be included on new cable boxes and apparently many existing ones can be updated to incorporate it as well simply via firmware.
I highly doubt that, considering commercials are loud on purpose and cable companies will never make a feature in their cable boxes. Maybe TiVo will do it, but not the boxes your rent from cable/dish company.

Can you provide source for this info?

Last edited:
fightinkraut

fightinkraut

Full Audioholic
I highly doubt that. Can I get source for this info?
I remember reading that Motorola was putting it in their set top boxes...here's the link.

I think it can be incorporated into any set top box, but I don't know of any other companies that have stated they are using it for sure.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I highly doubt that, considering commercials are loud on purpose and cable companies will never make a feature in their cable boxes. Maybe TiVo will do it, but not the boxes your rent from cable/dish company.

Can you provide source for this info?
See the link I posted above. It already exists. Motorolla worked with Dolby to come up with it. It is already out on some AVRs this year, on Motorolla's new boxes and Motorolla said some existing boxes could be updated with it since it is simply a new Dolby codec.

s162216

s162216

Full Audioholic
Some Panasonic LCD TV's have been released that feature Dolby Volume.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for all the information. We currently watch the TV without the HT on most of the time, because we need to keep the volume down while the kids are studying. Thats why the loud commercials are such a hassle - we have to adjust the volume to the loudest commercials, then you can barely hear the dialog on the TV. I will look for these sound leveling features on the next TV purchase, or maybe a new receiver, or at present one of the electronic boxes pointed out. (I would have to read all the comments to see whats up first).

I am not fast enough with the mute button, because I unually watch TV and go on the internet at the same time.

D

dropsonde

Audioholic Intern
Loud commercials are a tactic used by shitty marketers

G

gkaste

Junior Audioholic
Has anyone tried the cheap boxes you put inline with your audio output from the cable box that claim to adjust the volume to quiet down louder content such as commercials? I would definitally get one if they work.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis