Tom Cochrane & Red Rider DVD-A

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
The Americans on this forum probably don't know much of Tom Cochrane, with the possible exception of the song "Life is a Highway", but we Canadians remember other hits such as "Big League", "Boy Inside the Man", and maybe even "Young Thing, Wild Dreams (Rock Me)". I certainly remember them, and out of curiousity to hear more, I picked up the DVD-A of Tom Cochrane & Red Rider's "Trapeze: The Collection", a sort of "best of" of Tom's band. The songs span 25 years, from 9 of his albums.

The energy and enthusiasm permeating the tracks on this album is infectious. The songs are almost hypnotic, and I find myself humming the tunes long after the album is over. In fact, for each of these 21 songs, I was honestly disappointed it was over; I wanted the songs to keep going! Just as I was disappointed that the album was over. Even though it clocks in at 96 minutes!

The surround effects are done wonderfully. In the same way that Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" used surround for various instruments and sounds was absolutely perfect for such a "prog rock" album, the surround sound in this album is absolutely perfect for rock 'n' roll. And they're aggressive surrounds as well -- not used just for the odd backing vocal. Strong guitar lines, cool percussion -- these are absolutely stellar remixes, very very enveloping. And incredibly well recorded. The DVD-A is in 96/24, while the DTS and DD are in 48/24. I haven't listened to the lower resolution portion of the disc, and don't need to: the 96/24 DVD-A portion is stunning, and absolutely crystal clear.

I just finished listening to this album, and I can't recommend it enough. I'm so glad I picked "Trapeze" up, and am looking forward to playing some of these songs for my friends, just to show them how good 5.1 music is. This is without a doubt one of the finest surround albums I've heard (not that I've heard a huge amount). And one damn fine rock record.

Anyone else heard it?

cheers,
supervij

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
Thanks supervij.

I have considered this album. I have Trapeze on good ol' CD and didn't think this title was worth double dipping but I may check it out. Lunatic Fringe would sound nice in surround I bet. I like the older stuff, absoulutely hate Life is A Highway (can you say overplayed???) and anything newer.

Too bad the "Symphony Sessions" wasn't available in hi rez hey?

JC

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Johnny, "Trapeze" is worth the double dip. Without a doubt. I just finished listening to it, and I'm thinking of putting it on again!

Yeah, "Life is a Highway" was way overplayed, but remember, that was Tom's first hit in the States as well, which meant we in Canada were gonna hear it on our radio and TV as well as their TV stations. I think it was his only hit in the States cos I remember seeing the video on an episode of VH1's "One-Hit Wonders", which made me laugh, cos we've heard so much of Tom's stuff.

His old stuff is awesome, especially on this surround disc. I thought maybe it would sound dated, but it doesn't. To be honest, when I saw this disc in the shops, I could only remember those four songs I mentioned in the first post. And they're mostly from his older period. Even "White Hot", which was recorded in '79, is a great song that stands the test of time. They all do, really.

This is my first Tom Cochrane album. I haven't heard "Symphony Sessions". Is that one of those orchestral-versions-of-popular-songs CDs? If so, not my cup of tea, but I'll reserve judgement till I hear some of it.

Johnny, you'll LOVE this DVD-A!

cheers,
supervij

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis