To upgrade Blu Ray or not

J

Jeff5347

Audioholic
I'm just throwing this out curious on responses. I have an old Vizio Blu Ray player vbr 120a. It works fine ...slow but fine. PQ seems good as well but being almost 10 yrs old. I have 1080p TV right now and an older Onkyo reciever w no HDMI ports but have it running 7.1. Would getting a 4k player add any color, detail, quality upgrades vs this Vizio. I know I would be able to play 4k but obviously they would get scaled down to the 1080. I'm just curious if newer tech may make my current Blu rays have a bit better picture?
Thanks for any responses

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
Probably not in any meaningful way, but you did mention it was slow. A new 4k player would be quite a bit faster and at least you will have one less device to replace when you switch your other components for 4k/hdr.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You will likely get a slightly better picture because the firmware will be up to date on a newer player, but it will obviously not give you the full benefits of 4K without the rest of the gear as well.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd keep using it myself, at least until when you change other gear for hdmi/4k.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't think you would get any benefit. You should be able to firmware update your player.
You would not get better color unless your TV was also capable to play iot back. 1080P Tvs are not as best I know. An 4k player will have HDMI that could go to your older TV for sure but the audio still needs to go to the receiver via a standard digital cable, optical or coax.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Updating the firmware may help, but the only reason I'd get a new player is if the slowness is bugging you. Unless you plan to move to 4k as stated above.

J

Jeff5347

Audioholic
It is slow, not painfully slow but slow. I do plan to upgrade the receiver hopefully in a few months. My current receiver , ts xr503 , has coax and opt for audio. I would take audio to the receiver and video on HDMI to the TV. I've tried updating but a can't for the life of me find any links. I've looked on Vizio and any player support has since been removed. I know since I'm only on a 1080 TV 4k is mute just didn't know if 2010 Blu-ray tech has evolved over the 8 yrs to give a bit of a better pic

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
My son had given me a new LG UP875 for Christmas because I have a 4K TV and a couple months before upgraded my AVR to handle 4K. I noticed a HUGE difference in how fast the new player can access a disk and start playing over the previous Sony BDP-S480. And I would be surprised if he paid more than $99.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I would wait for 8K, 2nd thought scratch that
by the time 8K is affordable they will be releasing 16k.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
8k will never provide any benefit whatsoever over 4k without greatly exceeding the THX and SMPTE recommended viewing angles.
https://referencehometheater.com/2013/commentary/4k-calculator/

I like this calculator because it allows you to adjust for better than 20/20 vision. If you wear glasses like I do, chances are you may have better than 20/20. Last I tested I had about 20/12 vision. According to this calculator, I'm just at the point 4k becomes visible on a 55" screen seated 9.4' away, and this can be confirmed by the fact I notice an increase in detail between 2k and 4k content (even without hdr).

At a 66" screen, I get the full benefit of 4k. At 70", I reach the maximum viewing angle for cinema (40 degrees). At that point, I still wouldn't be able to resolve the pixels at 4k.

8k would be nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

J

Jeff5347

Audioholic
I bought the Sony bdp6700. It's not 4k but upscales to 4k. I don't have a 4k just a 1080p Vizio. I can say the PQ between this Blu Ray and my pevious 2010 Vizio Blu Ray is night and day. Honestly feel like sound as well. It will be a while before a 4k sits in my LR plus I get Blu Ray from 5- 10 bucks vs 40 dollar 4k movies and honestly I'm real happy with the player. I'm sure 4k looks way better but right now I'd rather spend the extra money on a new avr. I'm 15 yrs behind right now lol

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
why bother? Hollywood will still be making crappy movies not worth the expense of 8, 16, 32K and beyond. :p

TechHDS

Audioholic General
8k will never provide any benefit whatsoever over 4k without greatly exceeding the THX and SMPTE recommended viewing angles.
https://referencehometheater.com/2013/commentary/4k-calculator/

I like this calculator because it allows you to adjust for better than 20/20 vision. If you wear glasses like I do, chances are you may have better than 20/20. Last I tested I had about 20/12 vision. According to this calculator, I'm just at the point 4k becomes visible on a 55" screen seated 9.4' away, and this can be confirmed by the fact I notice an increase in detail between 2k and 4k content (even without hdr).

At a 66" screen, I get the full benefit of 4k. At 70", I reach the maximum viewing angle for cinema (40 degrees). At that point, I still wouldn't be able to resolve the pixels at 4k.

8k would be nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk
My Son has a Samsung 65" curved, when He first told me he was getting it I told him the "curved" thing was a gimmick. It wasn't untill I was watching a NFL game on his set that it made a believer out of me. When sitting in the sweet spot it makes a huge difference. It adds to sweeping motion to the point of almost being in the action live, it definitely enhances your peripheral vision when the camera is panning from left to right.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
My Son has a Samsung 65" curved, when He first told me he was getting it I told him the "curved" thing was a gimmick. It wasn't untill I was watching a NFL game on his set that it made a believer out of me. When sitting in the sweet spot it makes a huge difference. It adds to sweeping motion to the point of almost being in the action live, it definitely enhances your peripheral vision when the camera is panning from left to right.
That's really good information. I had wondered "what were they thinking" with those curved screens and your experience is what I can't ever get in a store looking at them. Makes perfect sense.

Thanks for sharing that useful tidbit.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
That's really good information. I had wondered "what were they thinking" with those curved screens and your experience is what I can't ever get in a store looking at them. Makes perfect sense.

Thanks for sharing that useful tidbit.
Thank you for the kind words, I am old school with this hobby and with that said meaning sometimes you just got to see with your own eyes or hear it with your own ears to make a believer out of you. The unit he has it's about 3 years old now but it has Samsung's best processor in it. He told me he wanted their 85" but it was 3 g's more, he paid umm...6,500 hundred for that unit. To rich for my blood but since the prices have come down on the Samsung curved units, Yes indeed one is in my near future. A note and thought when setting up the unit you can't have it too high..also you have to be sitting in the 'sweet spot' meaning to far away you lose that enhancement of the 'curved'.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis