To THX or *hrmm* not to THX (Mode)

S

Syxix

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hello! &nbsp;

I have a room that's about 2500 cubic feet, and I have a problem. &nbsp;My Marantz SR8200 receiver has a THX Select mode (optimised for smaller rooms, around 2000 cubic feet) to watch movies which attenuates the too bright highs from soundtracks optimised for huge theater spaces and makes dipole surround speakers even more subtle... &nbsp;I used to watch movies on that mode because I thought, heck, it's THX.

But all this has a negative aspect to it; I have a reference set of Boston Acoustics VR-M speakers (except my sub which is a a PV800) which means that my two main front speakers are low-frequency capable, but with the THX mode on, they can't shoot frequencies lower than 80 hertz which is, well, sad to the ear...

Therefor, I'd like to know what you think about the THX mode in general based on your experience and also based on my situation... &nbsp;With my room size, which is bigger than the 2000 cubic feet that THX Select is optimised for, and my loss of cool stereo bass (which I can compensate a little by boosting my sub volume up a little though, but it' sjsut not the same), do you still think I should use it? &nbsp;Or should I simply watch movies in regular DTS or Dolby and reduce the treble slightly to attenuate the sometimes irritating too bright high frequencies in soundtracks?

I'd appreciate any feedback on this THX vs The Other Modes issue.

Thanks!

Mat &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Syxix,

I have Boston VR965 mains that I use for HT and run them through a Yamaha RX-V1400 that is THX certified. &nbsp;I have always found THX to seem a little &quot;flat&quot; and &quot;dull&quot;. &nbsp;I also find that the bass is not as strong. &nbsp;I just don't prefer it. &nbsp; I usually will choose DTS or DD depending on the movie. &nbsp;I get more impact with these formats over THX. &nbsp;

One thing, the Bostons are far from a bright speaker. &nbsp;Couple that with THX and you should get a very warm, non bright sound. &nbsp;

I really like DTS and DD formats for most listening and I rarely use THX. &nbsp;

Shinerman.</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>In most THX receivers, you can disable the default 80Hz crossover and all speakers set &quot;small&quot; mode. &nbsp;Check the bass management section in the manual of your receiver to find out.</font>

R

RX-V2400

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>As I think you have discovered, THX is hype. Prologic2, DTS etc are better for sure.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Rage against the THX machine! &nbsp;Just having a little fun. &nbsp;Personally I would rather use DD, DTS, or variations/enhancements of the two vs. THX. &nbsp;THX is basically just another DSP mode, not a requirement or necessity in modern HT applications.</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have a room that's about 2500 cubic feet, and I have a problem.</td></tr></table>

I'd like to have your &quot;problem&quot;! &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RX-V2400

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>My room is asymetrical both in width and lenght and with asymetrical cathedral ceilings and wall too far away to mount souround speakers and 9000 cubic fet to boot and to cap all the mains need be up against the wall. Sometimes I wonder why I bothered.</font>

A

almostleo

Audiophyte
My 2 cents

A THX system will require a set of THX speakers as well to perform like George Lucas intended.... ie speakers that generate most of their output over 80Hz. Boston Acoustics does not make THX speakers and for a good reason too... THX speakers only drive your cost higher as well as make your system perform below its potential. I think BA make the most uncolored and true to life speaker sets and if I were you I would let the audio signal be untouched by THX processing. Stick with DTS/DD and you will be fine

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
As I think you have discovered, THX is hype. Prologic2, DTS etc are better for sure.
THX is more than processing and crossover settings
Have you ever seen the report on a product that THX certifies? It’s huge
They often find flaws in a product that the manufacture did not know existed. I have talked with engineers from various manufactures that were grateful that their products were tested at the THX lab.

I have run into few installation problems with products that carry the THX certified label the same cannot be said for the ones that don’t
How about the THX room set up manual? I have one sitting here in front of me it fills 3 binders some may not like the RE-Q or THX post processing for
Their systems that fine but the THX standard for set up, calibration, room acoustical properties, construction and Testing are not hype and are a great asset to many manufactures and Installation professional’s ;)

20to20K

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Rage against the THX machine! &nbsp;Just having a little fun. &nbsp;Personally I would rather use DD, DTS, or variations/enhancements of the two vs. THX. &nbsp;THX is basically just another DSP mode, not a requirement or necessity in modern HT applications.</font>
I always thought THX was short hand for "THanX....for the extra money!!"

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis