To Oppo or not to Oppo?

E

egreen1976

Junior Audioholic
Here's my delimna... I'm totally revamping my main system. I had the last Oppo blu ray player and it was outstanding. The only problem was I rarely watched blu rays and infrequently listen to SACD or CD. My habits are 70% Computer Audio, 15% Vinyl, 10% blu ray, 15% CD & SACD. Given my habits it seems to make sense for me to invest more heavily in an outboard DAC that can process my computer audio as well as my CD listening. I was thinking of not taking the $500 Oppo plunge again and instead buying a cheaper blu ray/sacd player that can be used more of an audio transport with the decoding done by the same DAC used for computer audio. I do understand that you can't send the SACD signal to an outboard DAC and this would just have to be sacrificed. So my questions are 1) Does it make sense for me to go with the oppo 95 knowing that 85% of my listening will be computer audio and vinyl? and 2) Why can't Oppo make a version of the 95 that also acts as an outboard DAC for computer audio. This would certainly be a KILLER product!??

Keep in mind that I am trying to be more budget conscious this time but I have already decided on 2 XPA-1 monoblocks, a Prima Luna pre amp, and an outboard DAC (currently using the Peachtree Nova but selling it)

Please help!

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Get Lexicon instead, it's THX certified.

...to answer your question... don't bother. Why not get a digital-out SACD transport and a DAC that works with both computer and other digital inputs.

Maybe an Emotiva XDA-1?

Last edited by a moderator:
A

aarond

Full Audioholic
Minus the SACD the LG BD590 seems to be a pretty good fit. It has a 250GB hard drive and
The BD590 is also DLNA compliant and capable of streaming video, audio, and photo files from a network-connected PC.
They are around $200 now and I'm buying one for my dad for Chirstmas.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis