To Mod or Not to Mod? - That is the Question

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
New to Turntables and Vinyl. After a lot of research reading and watching Videos. I've determined Rega will be the Turntable I purchase.
I've never owned a Turntable so this is the Question.
Purchase a Rega Planar 3 and Upgrade (Sub-Platter, Platter, Power Supply, Feet). Or just Purchase the Rega Planar 6 since it already comes with an Upgraded Sub Platter, Platter, Power Supply, and Feet?

Wondering which will give me better Sound Quality

Your Thoughts, Guidance, and Knowledge would be Greatly Appreciated.
[IMG]

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Both are great tables - what is your budget? The P6 is roughly double the price of an unmodified P3, depending on what cartridge you buy. I own a P3 with a groovetracer sub-platter and upgraded mat and upgraded dynavector cartridge, and am extremely happy. I don’t see any sonic benefit to replacing the feet on the TT and haven’t yet had any issue with the power supply. Given that this is your first TT, why not start with a P3 with a good cartridge and just listen for a few weeks before deciding if you need to make any upgrades at all? Also, what phono stage are you using?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
what is your budget?
groovetracer
Also, what phono stage are you using?
1) I started out thinking spending under $1000. Loved what I was reading about the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. But the more I research and learn the more I don't want a basic Turntable. Which has lead me to the Planar series. Whatever Planar I get I'm going to go with the Best Cartridge recommended. So I really don't have a Budget. But I'm not going past the Planar 6.
2) Will a 3 with upgrades from companies like Groovetracer or Tangospinner sound better then a Stock 6? Or is there no amount of Mods to a 3 that can achieve 6 Sound Qualities
3) Nothing in mind yet. Starting from scratch. Only thing I have is speakers. Polk LSi9's

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I think you can go with the planar 3. I think that will be fine. Then upgrade the cartridge to an Ortofon Black. The cartridge is really crucial and will improve SQ much more than the other tweaks.

You might want to take a look at the U Turn line, especially their top line Orbit. Then up grade the cartridge to an Ortofon Black and you would have a superb set up.

I'm particularly attracted to the U Turn because of the arm design. These turntables have an excellent reputation.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
1) I started out thinking spending under $1000. Loved what I was reading about the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. But the more I research and learn the more I don't want a basic Turntable. Which has lead me to the Planar series. Whatever Planar I get I'm going to go with the Best Cartridge recommended. So I really don't have a Budget. But I'm not going past the Planar 6.
2) Will a 3 with upgrades from companies like Groovetracer or Tangospinner sound better then a Stock 6? Or is there no amount of Mods to a 3 that can achieve 6 Sound Qualities
3) Nothing in mind yet. Starting from scratch. Only thing I have is speakers. Polk LSi9's
If you don’t have any other components, I would assess your total budget before committing to anything. A P6 is a fantastic table, a P3 is an excellent table as well (so is the Pro-Ject, btw). You don’t have bad choices here. For my money, I’d do the P3 with the dynavector cartridge, a good phono stage and integrated amp and put any additional money into albums. Listen for a while and if you aren't in love, you have a choice to either mod the table or exchange it for a P6, If you think you’ll always be looking at the P6 with buyers regret, that obv changes things, but only you can know that

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis