To mod or not to mod - Paradigm Titan V2's? Looking for help?

RTRoberts

RTRoberts

Enthusiast
I have a nice set of Titan V2's - no complaints. I've started looking into the DIY world..

Would you modify these, leave them as is?

If yes, recommendations? What kind of gains would you expect to get? Best bang for $ ?

Thanks
RTR

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I have a nice set of Titan V2's - no complaints. I've started looking into the DIY world..

Would you modify these, leave them as is?

If yes, recommendations? What kind of gains would you expect to get? Best bang for $ ?

Thanks
RTR
I could not find sufficient 3rd party measurements, but an old Stereo Review article described the response of the original Titan. Since I have nothing to go on really, I'll just ask what it is you hope to improve? If the tonal balance as it is, is satisfactory, but you want more resolution/detail in the lower midrange, then you can modify the cabinet and internal acoustic dampening material to achieve this objective. But if you have a tonal response issue that you don't like, this type of modification is not going to help. You need a new crossover circuit, or at least a revised one, in order to fix basic tonal issues. If the problem is not detail or tonal, then it may be the off axis response is not suitable to your preference/purpose, and there is very little you can do about this from the speaker itself. In that case, try some acoustical room treatments as a first line approach.

-Chris

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No, I would not spend the time to modify these. A crossover to noticeably improve them would cost more than the speakers themselves.

RTRoberts

RTRoberts

Enthusiast
Chris,

To answer your question ... the recommendation of a family friend who has some experience in DIY audio suggested some improved dampening, replacing the capacitors in the cross over as well as changing out the internal wiring. The result would be an overall 'noticeable improvement' as I was told, but that seemed like a very subjective response/statement in my mind.

I am not sure what components Paradigm uses/used originally - but would some aftermarket internals make any clear differences. Aside from putting some new batting (or extra) in the back - are the claims to the added benefits just 'smoke and mirror'.

Thanks...

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
To echo the good advice already given by Chris and jgarcia, I would say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Your insticts about doubting subjective statements are correct here.

Replacing internal wires or crossover capacitors, just for the sake of "upgrading" won't change anything. If the values of the capacitors (and all the other crossover components) are correct to begin with, then replacing them with more expensive capacitors (or other components) of the same values won't make an audible difference. There are some who claim otherwise, but no evidence exists to back those claims... and there are some very good DIY designers who have tried hard to find such evidence.

If you want to correct some flaw in your speakers sound, you must first be able to measure their frequency response to identify the flaw. If you identify an objectionable peak or valley, or a tonal imbalance, then you can design a different crossover to correct it.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
If I remember correctly those cabinets resonate alot. (failed the knuckle rap test pretty bad) The speakers sounded balanced enough but you could hear the box when turned up. (again IIRC) Other than damping the cabinet I wouldn't spend the money unless I needed something to have a little fun with.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
When I get nice new speakers, the absolute last thing I want to do is start disassembing them! There is pretty much a 100% chance of ruining them that way. Also, who am I to second-guess the engineer who designed them?:eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis