V

viseral audio

Audioholic
What is your opinion on whether to eq subwoofers or not, I,m using a pair of pro reinforcement subs for music and am adding about 2.5 to 3db gain at the bottom of there range, even though its at or just below there operating range pro audio gear is pretty robust.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
More about your room than the sub itself, but yes, eq for bass frequencies (below Schroeder) can be very helpful. First step would be to measure....

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
I use rew to set up subs , I was thinking about over excursion of driver but shouldn't be an issue around 30 hz

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I use rew to set up subs , I was thinking about over excursion of driver but shouldn't be an issue around 30 hz
What is your sub? Is it ported or sealed? You can extend the bass of a sealed sub, within the mechanical limits of the driver. You can not extend a ported sub below F3, as the driver decouples from the box, and you get large ineffective cone excursions.

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
The pro sub I'm using is a horn loaded turbo sound Tse 118 , I only wanted to boost a few db in the 30 hz range to flatten out response better?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The pro sub I'm using is a horn loaded turbo sound Tse 118 , I only wanted to boost a few db in the 30 hz range to flatten out response better?
You will not easily extend that sub. In domestic terms that unit is not a sub at all. It has an F3 of 55 Hz. Now with a horn the low frequency cut off is determined by the dimensions of the horn mouth. That looks to be a relatively small horn, by bass horn standards. The only way you will lower F3 is to place it as deep into a corner as you can, so that the corner extends the horn mouth. Eq will not gain you are significant response below 55Hz, but pushing it into a corner as far as you can will.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
What is your opinion on whether to eq subwoofers or not, I,m using a pair of pro reinforcement subs for music and am adding about 2.5 to 3db gain at the bottom of there range, even though its at or just below there operating range pro audio gear is pretty robust.
Here's a tutorial I have followed that introduces what they call the "Harmon Curve". Frequencies are boosted up to about 10db at 20 to 30 Hz and drop down linearly (on a log graph) by 10db by 80 Hz. I found it works really well for music and gives good punch for Home Theater.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Most pro audio subs are not real subs because they are designed to output high SPL and not designed to produce infrasonic frequencies. Most of them are limited to about 40 Hz and some will produce frequencies below 30 Hz at -10 dB. .The only exceptions might be the huge ones made by the Danley Sound Labs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis