Tips on selecting the best crossover for your speakers

astartesultra

astartesultra

Enthusiast
Hi guys, done a lot of reading on this but I’m still not sure what the best option is when it comes to picking the right crossover for my speakers. Some people say find your frequency response of your speakers, and set it 10, or 20hz above that; or, some say to set it one octave above it instead, so my Monitor Audio Bronze 2s are 42hz, so that would be 84hz, so I’d choose roughly 80 or 90hz in that case.

What’s the best option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
There are several acoustical factors involved. I would just suggest that you try both frequencies and choose the one that sounds better to your ears between the two.

V

viorelc

Audioholic Intern
Even without measuring, you could try playing low frequencies around the crossover point (e.g. 60/70/80/90/100) you choose and decide based on what you hear around the MLP, you will want the setting that has the most linear response across all of these. There are various mobile apps which offer frequency generators, also there is REW, as well as online sources to play these through a browser.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

astartesultra

astartesultra

Enthusiast
Even without measuring, you could try playing low frequencies around the crossover point (e.g. 60/70/80/90/100) you choose and decide based on what you hear around the MLP, you will want the setting that has the most linear response across all of these. There are various mobile apps which offer frequency generators, also there is REW, as well as online sources to play these through a browser.

Which app would you recommend and how would you use it, using REW although I know many vouch for it, I can’t use right now.

astartesultra

astartesultra

Enthusiast
Hey guys, had a thought. The Blu-ray spec indicates that the LFE channel should always be 120hz, now, if that’s the case, and your subwoofer allowed itself to go this high, wouldn’t a good crossover to choose be 120hz? Just like the LFE spec?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hey guys, had a thought. The Blu-ray spec indicates that the LFE channel should always be 120hz, now, if that’s the case, and your subwoofer allowed itself to go this high, wouldn’t a good crossover to choose be 120hz? Just like the LFE spec?

Perhaps.

V

viorelc

Audioholic Intern
Which app would you recommend and how would you use it, using REW although I know many vouch for it, I can’t use right now.

Almost any tone generator should do, I had success with Tone Gen Pro from my iPad/iPhone. Be aware that if you’re limited to using a mobile via Bluetooth, there could be a long delay for any action (play/stop) on some of these, direct connection via USB could make things better. If you are patient, that should not be a concern.

astartesultra

astartesultra

Enthusiast
Almost any tone generator should do, I had success with Tone Gen Pro from my iPad/iPhone. Be aware that if you’re limited to using a mobile via Bluetooth, there could be a long delay for any action (play/stop) on some of these, direct connection via USB could make things better. If you are patient, that should not be a concern.

I’ll give that a try as well viorlec, thanks a lot.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is that a perhaps as in, it depends, or a perhaps as in I might be on to something

It may or may not be an appropriate crossover if your sub is capable of the higher frequencies. I've used such.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
80 hz is a pretty commonly used crossover point and I feel appropriate for your speakers. Just start there and play with different crossovers to see which sounds better in your room. I had damn near full range towers (-3 dB @28 hz) but due to room interaction and speaker placement I found a higher crossover of 100-120 hz just sounded better so I ran with that for quite a while.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis