Tip of The Day: Mixing and Matching Speakers

R

Rugbyfan

Audiophyte
Part 2: here is my report on the topic --
I am 36, financially well-off but not rich, and live in India. My most important reason for mixing and matching home theatre speakers is that I have a lot of different speakers and amplifiers that i collected or were gifted to me over the last 12 years (most of them ordinary commercial brands and not 'audiophile components') and a few vintage speakers from my late grandfather who also loved music. I listen to Indian classical and semi-classical music, jazz instrumental and also classical chamber music without orchestral support, mainly featuring cello and/or double bass.
Since I don't trade off components, I have a relatively inexpensive mix'n'match audio system (mainly for 2 channel music but also two for HDTV) in almost every room and each system rather has a unique sound.
I have not really gone by brand names, but much more by the basic principles of audio, with an 'ear open' always for the character and quality of the 'mixed' output sound.
I like to have a subwoofer, a good pair of left and right front speaker combinations, and an experimental but practically effective centre configuration to play the two_channel input in a sonically dynamic manner, giving equal importance to bass and audio clarity, with the aim of reproducing a very realistic audio output.
I prefer to use powerful woofers for bass, good quality full-range speakers for midrange and separate smaller speakers and tweeters to represent the higher frequencies. Since components are from varied sources, it takes a bit of trial to get a good sound.
In my experience, mixing and matching audio components is indeed very experimental, but if you know what sound you want to achieve, you can probably make use of each component in an interesting manner. Of course there is no jury of experts waiting to evaluate the results, but we can learn to assess the sound critically and make appropriate adjustments to get a better outcome.
Above all, mixing is fun and inexpensive. But if we want an accomplished home theatre setup within a reasonable budget, without mixing components, then we can begin to save up for it and, at a considerable (but very worthwhile) expense, purchase as a proper set, or assemble from scratch, a single-origin, pre-matched, pedigreed and excellent audio system.
(Thanks to all for previous inputs to original post, and for reading this reply.)

H

htheod

Audiophyte
I want to set up a tv/music system in my living room with the main seat about 3.5m (11 feet). Since i want to start small and expand later with the goal being a R/L main + front R/L surround + sub i am thinking of getting the main speaker and AV receiver first an the surround + sub later.

I wanted to get the Klipsch R51 because i like their analytical style and easthetics but your review of the Dayton Audio MK442 as main impressed me so i got a pair of those.

If i add the Klipsch as surround to cover highs and will that be a good match? Also when playing music in stereo will all 4 speakers play the same from the amplifier (according to their characteristics of course)?

Finally can you recommend a good budget sub that i can get in Europe from either amazon.de uk or any other online shop with EU shipping. I live in Cyprus which is EU but don't have many online options.

Thank you.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
wow old thread, are any of those members still here? Besides Gene and maybe one other

H

htheod

Audiophyte
Apologies for necroposting but the "problem" is valid as much today as it was before. Even more so with new companies popping up and people having older speakers etc.

Talk about first world problems ..

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I want to set up a tv/music system in my living room with the main seat about 3.5m (11 feet). Since i want to start small and expand later with the goal being a R/L main + front R/L surround + sub i am thinking of getting the main speaker and AV receiver first an the surround + sub later.

I wanted to get the Klipsch R51 because i like their analytical style and easthetics but your review of the Dayton Audio MK442 as main impressed me so i got a pair of those.

If i add the Klipsch as surround to cover highs and will that be a good match? Also when playing music in stereo will all 4 speakers play the same from the amplifier (according to their characteristics of course)?

Finally can you recommend a good budget sub that i can get in Europe from either amazon.de uk or any other online shop with EU shipping. I live in Cyprus which is EU but don't have many online options.

Thank you.
Why not just get more of the Dayton speakers? They'll match much better than having domes and horns in the same system.

H

htheod

Audiophyte
I might do that. I just thought the more analytical sound of the Klipsh would work well with the Daytons.

Is having a combination of horns and domes considered a bad thing or are you suggesting it so that i minimize the risk of a bad result?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I might do that. I just thought the more analytical sound of the Klipsh would work well with the Daytons.

Is having a combination of horns and domes considered a bad thing or are you suggesting it so that i minimize the risk of a bad result?
I just don't see many people mixing horns and domes or recommending it. If you're not opposed to the MK402's I'd think that would be the best way to make sure that everything is going to sound consistent, especially if you're going to use 4 channel stereo..

H

htheod

Audiophyte
Thank you for your input. If i can't find any advise to the contrary i will probably go with your suggestion.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis