Time to make the tough choices...

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
The good news is, I sold the Klipsch KLF-10's today. Got back most of what I paid for them, which is always good.

The bad news is, with the Revel F30's on the way, I need to sell either my long-beloved KEF IQ9's or my newly-acquired (but also beloved) Canton GLE 496.2s. I've been A/B testing them (finally got my setup into a larger room! :cool:), and they both sound great! I can't say that one is better than the other, only that their sound signatures are distinct.

If either of these had the dual 10's to match the tight chest-pounding low end of the KLF's but kept their respective mids and highs, it would be a undisputed winner. A pox on these skinny towers!

decisions_small.jpg

It's going to be hard to part with either of these...

T

transchris11

Audiophyte
Build another system for maybe just stereo....
The good news is, I sold the Klipsch KLF-10's today. Got back most of what I paid for them, which is always good.

The bad news is, with the Revel F30's on the way, I need to sell either my long-beloved KEF IQ9's or my newly-acquired (but also beloved) Canton GLE 496.2s. I've been A/B testing them (finally got my setup into a larger room! :cool:), and they both sound great! I can't say that one is better than the other, only that their sound signatures are distinct.

If either of these had the dual 10's to match the tight chest-pounding low end of the KLF's but kept their respective mids and highs, it would be a undisputed winner. A pox on these skinny towers!

View attachment 24888

Sent from my Z557BL using Tapatalk

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Are you planning to keep one of the Canton or the KEF?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
BTW, I know it looks better with the symmetry, but to compare speakers, you should really have the same distance between the R & L for both pairs.
In the photo, the KEF's will have a wider soundstage than the Canton's (alternately, the Cantons may sound more cohesive, but it looks like even the KEF are fairly close together. IOW, swap speaker positions on either side so going from left to right you have A, B, Desk, A, & B.

I assume you found a good deal on a pair of used F30's? 90 pounds each! Unless you are pretty stout, get some sliders or a hand truck (use towels for padding).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
QUOTE [The bad news is, with the Revel F30's on the way, I need to sell either my long-beloved KEF IQ9's or my newly-acquired (but also beloved) Canton GLE 496.2s. I've been A/B testing them (finally got my setup into a larger room! :cool:),and they both sound great! I can't say that one is better than the other, only that their sound signatures are distinct.] QUOTE.

That really is the issue and the problem with speakers. When being demoed by sales staff, I can never resist the temptation to say: "Now tell me which ones are correct?" The correct answer is almost always neither, both wrong in different ways. After all this time, we are still at the point were the differences are not subtle, but obvious as a rule.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai

View attachment 24888

I'm so hungry I could eat at Arby's
1531059844350.png

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

BTW, I know it looks better with the symmetry, but to compare speakers, you should really have the same distance between the R & L for both pairs.
In the photo, the KEF's will have a wider soundstage than the Canton's (alternately, the Cantons may sound more cohesive, but it looks like even the KEF are fairly close together. IOW, swap speaker positions on either side so going from left to right you have A, B, Desk, A, & B.

I assume you found a good deal on a pair of used F30's? 90 pounds each! Unless you are pretty stout, get some sliders or a hand truck (use towels for padding).
Good point! I will try that next time I have some time.

Have to say it wasn't a bad thing listening to Fagen's IGY for 45 minutes straight. No such thing as too much of that song. :D

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Seriously, though... Are the speakers going to stay in the room pictured? If so, and both are equal in your ears, I would sell the KEFs as their finish clashes with wood of your cabinets. The black Cantons provide a nice contrast and serve as a buffer between the shelves and your desk. I really like the silver drivers as well. The again, I like the design of the KEFs - if it were up to me, I would buy new cabinets to match my speakers, but I am weird like that...

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Good point! I will try that next time I have some time.

Have to say it wasn't a bad thing listening to Fagen's IGY for 45 minutes straight. No such thing as too much of that song. :D
Fagan rocks! I remember introducing that album to my local hi-fi shop when it came out. The proprietor at first scoffed because it was not, as of yet, "audiophile approved".

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Are you planning to keep one of the Canton or the KEF?
I botched the wording on this. What I mean is do you ultimately intend to keep two pairs, or just one?
If two, I would wait for the F30 to arrive before deciding.
I have several (as in too many) pairs of speakers, and if you intend to keep two pairs (whether in different rooms or in the same room), my advice is to keep the ones that have the best sound quality but sound the most different!
IOW, lets say the F30 prove better speakers than either the KEF or the Canton. Since you like the KEF and the Canton equally, keep the ones that sound least like the F30. I don't understand people who buy the same speakers for two systems in their home. Speakers that sound different, but equally good, is definitely a thing and to put it simply, "variety is the spice of life"!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Fagan rocks! I remember introducing that album to my local hi-fi shop when it came out. The proprietor at first scoffed because it was not, as of yet, "audiophile approved".
That makes him pretty ignorant!
Anyone listening to much music knew Steely Dan/Fagan never lacked for production quality!

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Seriously, though... Are the speakers going to stay in the room pictured? If so, and both are equal in your ears, I would sell the KEFs as their finish clashes with wood of your cabinets. The black Cantons provide a nice contrast and serve as a buffer between the shelves and your desk. I really like the silver drivers as well. The again, I like the design of the KEFs - if it were up to me, I would buy new cabinets to match my speakers, but I am weird like that...
The camera on my phone sux but the Canton's are actually Massakara (spelling?) Like a black ad red zebra pattern.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Sorry been in and out and about all day...

The pair I keep will be my fronts in the living room HT. My goal is large full range speakers for 2.0 music listening in my office.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry been in and out and about all day...

The pair I keep will be my fronts in the living room HT. My goal is large full range speakers for 2.0 music listening in my office.
What is the center speaker in the HT?

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

What is the center speaker in the HT?
Sorry I totally missed you post somehow. My HT is all KEF Q series. I know the obvious answer is "keep the iq9's" but I was considering that those are a better known brand and would most likely sell quicker.

Regardless, my mind was made up for me by way of WAF. Even though the GLE's are beautiful, they don't match the rest of the speakers.

So... anyone want to buy some month-old Canton's? ;)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Hmm sounds like you are past the 30 day period for returns. Did you try them out for theater with a sub and the other KEFs?

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Hmm sounds like you are past the 30 day period for returns. Did you try them out for theater with a sub and the other KEFs?
I haven't rewired the living room since we took it all down last fall to paint. That's on my "one of these days" list, but nowhere near the top. It was funny though how adamant she was about keeping the KEF's, and since I could live with either, I won't force the issue.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I haven't rewired the living room since we took it all down last fall to paint. That's on my "one of these days" list, but nowhere near the top. It was funny though how adamant she was about keeping the KEF's, and since I could live with either, I won't force the issue.
Ya I hear you. I have a theater room so I don’t worry about WAF in there. I might drag some speakers into the living room someday. Imagine the horror of a big subwoofer in her living room! :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis