Time to look for a 4k player!

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Either the Sony X800M2 or the X1100es player will play with precision 4K discs for a lot cheaper than the Reavon UBR-X200.

The Reavon is overpriced. What kind of support will you get if it's defective? That's an important consideration as well.

I have the Sony X800 and it works pretty well. It also reads SACDs and DVD-A discs. What is noteworthy is that it also performs as well as my OPPO UDP-203.

It's also good to bear in mind that Sony was involved in the development of the 4K disc.
For the price of that Reavon here in Canada, I could (almost) buy 2× Panasonic DPUB 820K, and a DPUB 9000. Buying the 3 would cost about 100$ (plus taxes) more.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
is this for me?
Why not? Some of the Panasonics are overpriced for what they offer. They don't perform better than the above mentioned Sonys, and they won't play DVD-Audio discs nor SACDs. I suggest that you verify one at a specialized AV equipment store.

R

Richster

Audiophyte
What a load of crap, No balanced output's, no analogue connections, won't play SACD or DVD-A It's simply a stock standard cheap player.
You might as well get a Lazer for 99 dollars
I have an x700 and unless you have requirements such as playing orphaned sacd’s - why spend more?
Does an excellent job playing my growing 4k collection - never have any problems.
I am a discerning movie watcher and have never had this come up short on features.
I’d rather spend on adding 4k’s to my collection.
As far as a PS5, if you are not primarily a gamer do you really want to fool around with gaming focused machine Including a gaming focused remote.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Either the Sony X800M2 or the X1100es player will play with precision 4K discs for a lot cheaper than the Reavon UBR-X200.

The Reavon is overpriced. What kind of support will you get if it's defective? That's an important consideration as well.

I have the Sony X800 and it works pretty well. It also reads SACDs and DVD-A discs. What is noteworthy is that it also performs as well as my OPPO UDP-203.

It's also good to bear in mind that Sony was involved in the development of the 4K disc.
The only thing I wish the Sony's would add are seperate stereo analog output jacks so that I just turn on my AVR and Sony player without having to turn on the TV. I use the analog outs in my bedroom and main system and keep the Yamaha in Pure Direct.

Not sure what the real world non audiophoolry advantage of having XLR outputs on that REAVON is. Its very over priced.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I wanted the Sony X700 but you have to turn on and off Dolby Vision. That's just stupid. I bought the Panasonic UB820 and it's excellent. It's not the cheapest but it's a very nice player. I'm still using my Sony X800 for SACD and DVD-audio.
The exotic players like Reavon or OPPO are just ridiculous.

R

Richster

Audiophyte
I wanted the Sony X700 but you have to turn on and off Dolby Vision. That's just stupid. I bought the Panasonic UB820 and it's excellent. It's not the cheapest but it's a very nice player. I'm still using my Sony X800 for SACD and DVD-audio.
The exotic players like Reavon or OPPO are just ridiculous.
This falsehood keeps on getting repeated and likely causes some who would like to avoid “audiofoolery” to spend more than necessary for what is perfectly acceptable performance.
You only turn on Dolby vision ONCE and that setting stays on - at least it does on my x700.
Also, it does play SACD - although I have none and am just looking at the menu option.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The only thing I wish the Sony's would add are seperate stereo analog output jacks so that I just turn on my AVR and Sony player without having to turn on the TV. I use the analog outs in my bedroom and main system and keep the Yamaha in Pure Direct.

Not sure what the real world non audiophoolry advantage of having XLR outputs on that REAVON is. Its very over priced.
Have a look at this. For the asking price, you wouldn't risk much:

Last edited:
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
This falsehood keeps on getting repeated and likely causes some who would like to avoid “audiofoolery” to spend more than necessary for what is perfectly acceptable performance.
You only turn on Dolby vision ONCE and that setting stays on - at least it does on my x700.
Also, it does play SACD - although I have none and am just looking at the menu option.
Yes, you turn it on once but it forces Dolby Vision on everything. You have to turn it on and off.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Agreed and it makes me wonder even more why Sony doesnt include the analog outputs. I use the HDMI out to listen to CDs ln my Sony X800. What I dont like about this that it requires another outlet.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Agreed and it makes me wonder even more why Sony doesnt include the analog outputs. I use the HDMI out to listen to CDs ln my Sony X800. What I dont like about this that it requires another outlet.
To add an analog output implies the addition of a DAC with increased production costs and consumer price. To my knowledge, only OPPO came with multichannel analog outputs on some models. All of today's AVRs and integrated amps have HDMI inputs.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja

To which receiver is the Sony UBP-X800 connected? One thing you can do is connect a coaxial cable to the Sony's coaxial output and connect the other end into a coaxial input on your receiver. Assign the selected coaxial port to the CD source input. Many receivers have video passthrough while using the CD input and you should see the player's display if you decide to turn the TV on. With this setup, HDMI output from the Sony will work with the BD/DVD source input selection on the receiver for any movie discs and the coaxial digital output will work with the CD source input selection and you can leave it in Pure Direct mode. Now, if HDMI-CEC is on it will wreak havoc on this setup as it will force the TV on and switch input selection to BD/DVD when trying to play a CD.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I like Sony but what about an Oppo clone:
How reliable would that Oppo clone be? Where would you get service for it if it gets defective? IMO, the affordable Sony brand is the way to go. I have two Oppo players and a Sony X800. The Sony performs just as well as the Oppos.

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Been using Sony's UBP-X700m and the UBP-X700 both are great little players. The X700 use to freeze up on some 4K disc mostly GOT. Sony sent a update for both over a month ago. Never had a issue with freezing up since. I believe the X700m player is the updated version of the X700. The X700m comes with a High speed HDMI cable the X700 doesn't. But both player's did receive that update.

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
I kept the Sony UHPH1 because it can upmix standard bluerays to 3D. I rent most of my discs at redbox and not a lot of 4K available yet. I stream 4K through my X-Box Series S or rip the discs and stream them instead.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Just to add a bit more confusion I should like to add the Harman, Kardon DVD 47 into the mix. Sure it's somewhat of a budget player but it does offer 6 channel analogue out, and will also play SACD and DVD-A disc's BUT of course the HDMI digital output will not play the SACD tracks on a disk, It will only play the CD version of the soundtrack. Now before anyone shoots me down in flames, and remembering that HDMI was never designed for audio, it simply piggy backs on the video signal. Many people will claim that there player will play SACD, what there not telling you is there SACD disc also carry's a stereo digital track, which is what is playing,, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon is an example of this. They never released a 2 channel stereo version of the disc. For proof of this try playing a non-hybrid SACD disc or a DVD-A, which never carried the duel tracks.

All that aside if you can find a HK DVD 47 buy it , it's money well spent, and really is the equal of any Oppo or Sony player, https://www.goodgearguide.com.au/review/harman_kardon/dvd-47/219972/

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just to add a bit more confusion I should like to add the Harman, Kardon DVD 47 into the mix. Sure it's somewhat of a budget player but it does offer 6 channel analogue out, and will also play SACD and DVD-A disc's BUT of course the HDMI digital output will not play the SACD tracks on a disk, It will only play the CD version of the soundtrack. Now before anyone shoots me down in flames, and remembering that HDMI was never designed for audio, it simply piggy backs on the video signal. Many people will claim that there player will play SACD, what there not telling you is there SACD disc also carry's a stereo digital track, which is what is playing,, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon is an example of this. They never released a 2 channel stereo version of the disc. For proof of this try playing a non-hybrid SACD disc or a DVD-A, which never carried the duel tracks.

All that aside if you can find a HK DVD 47 buy it , it's money well spent, and really is the equal of any Oppo or Sony player, https://www.goodgearguide.com.au/review/harman_kardon/dvd-47/219972/
My Oppo plays any layer of the SACD (dsd or pcm, 2.0 or multich) via hdmi out just fine, so do my Sony bluray players.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Now try playing a non hybrid SACD or better still a DVD-A disc.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Oppo and Sony universal players do in fact handle DSD from SACD and MLP from DVD-AUDIO over HDMI. Hybrid SACD offered PCM layer for CD players and DVD-AUDIO offered Dolby Digital and DTS for DVD VIDEO players. The HK DVD 47 had a very early and limited HDMI spec and could not handle DSD, MLP or uncompressed multichannel audio over HDMI. This was not the case with later Oppo players or current Sony universal players.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis