Time to choose sub-need advice

K

kgb540

Audioholic
The thing you have to remeber is that under normal listening conditions you will most likely notice little to no difference between those SVS subs (once calibrated). Sorry guys but it is true, I've been there many times with SVS (among others). I mean honestly, when you are talking about tuning at 16 or 20 hz to gain a few more spl's, you lead a boring life of churchy, organ music. the majority of musical bass is 30-35hz and up. Then there is home theater. once again, most of the movie bass is 30HZ and up. Yeah yeah I know WOTW has a great scene (or two) that will cause your spleen to rupture b/c the bass is so deep, but how many times can those geeks honestly sit there and watch that scene over and over and over when there is so much great music out there to explore? If you do a lot of "critical" listening, the differences may show, but 80-90% of the time you wouldnt be able to tell. That being said, if you can afford it, you certainly wont regret getting the more expensive SVS.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
The 12.3 driver will get you more defined bass...it's noticeable...it's not night and day. The more powerful amps come into play as well, so more headroom, less compression, more punch...again not night and day. Combined there's a nice step up for a reasonable price.

K

kgb540

Audioholic
Because yours is one of the opinions I respect most Ron, looks like I need to try the 12.3 driver.

majorloser

majorloser

If you want my opinion...

If I were you and had about $900 to spend, I'd look at the HSU VTF-3HO. I'll put them up against just about anything out there. Add the turbo and you increase the max output and extension.

Just my $0.02

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
majorloser said:
If I were you and had about $900 to spend, I'd look at the HSU VTF-3HO. I'll put them up against just about anything out there. Add the turbo and you increase the max output and extension.

Just my $0.02
I thought the VTF-3 was less than that.

K

kgb540

Audioholic
it is. there is a difference between the 2 subs (VTF-3MKII and VTF-3HO).

majorloser

majorloser

Seth=L said:
I thought the VTF-3 was less than that.
The VTF-3HO is $899+ $95 S&H
With the turbo it's $999+ $120 S&H
http://www.hsustore.com/vtf3hoturbo.html

The VTF-3 MkII is $699+ $53 S&H
http://www.hsustore.com/vtf3.html

To quote HSU, "Adding the patent pending turbo doubles the port area for extended bass mode, allowing the VTF-3 HO to move as much air as four VTF-3 MK2 models in extended bass mode with the same level of port noise."

So in other words a VTF-3HO without the turbo is equal to two VTF-3MkII's.
Pretty good "bang for the buck".

I own two VTF-3HO's, so I speak from experience. They will blow your socks off :)

jpaul

jpaul

Junior Audioholic
That is an interresting sub, reminds me of the old space movies. Not sure why this is built this way. Can anyone
comment on this sub and the advantages it has?
Compared this one to the SVS plus/2 which one may be the better choice?
As far as looks, I think I like the SVS better.
Good news, I just got offered some side work that may give me enough for the plus/2sub. setting up a companies CADD system, A solid 500 bucks for about 4 or 5 hours work. Just in time :)

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
jpaul said:
Good news, I just got offered some side work that may give me enough for the plus/2sub. setting up a companies CADD system, A solid 500 bucks for about 4 or 5 hours work. Just in time :)
Your not going to pull the trigger on the PB12-Plus/2. I double dog dare you. :eek: LOL

jpaul

jpaul

Junior Audioholic
Drag, The CAD deal fell thru. My company pulled the plug, Conflict of interrest. Well, back to saving my pennies.
:cool:
I think I will hold on and save for the Plus/2. It shouldn't take to long.
Will post when recieved.
Thanks again

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis