Time to change things up.

P

Polar_beer

Audiophyte
Hello all. I am new to the group and would like some recommendations on changing my current setup. I've been remodeling a bit and thus have some surplus speakers and such.
For context, this is a basement / den setup, not multi room.
I have an older Pioneer Elite receiver that still works and looks great so not planning to change this. The other main component is a Sony multi cd player which I would also like to keep as it makes dealing with the 200 or so cd's quite easy.
As for speakers, I have a pair of Paradigm Phantoms & a pair of Mission 710's. I also have two 10" powered subs, one Paradigm & one Klipsch.
I would like to free up some space by getting rid of both sets of speakers and replacing them with either smaller bookshelf ones that I could hang or use in wall speakers. Is it also possible or even practical to use both powered subs?
Should I be considering powered speakers like Sonos or something else?
As you can see, I have more questions than answers. Any recommendations??
Thanks,
polar

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
good size room, depending on your arrangement I'd go with towers over bookshelf. Are you planning on utilizing your CD player as the only source ? As for in-wall speakers, I'm not a fan when it comes to 2 channel audio.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
My HT room is 8 X12, TV is a 55", 4K, with bookshelf mains + center channel, with L R 6' feet apart, and one sub. TV viewing and front mains + center channel are 6.5' to the center position. Side Surrounds are a little bit behind my ears and 2 feet above my head. Also 6' apart. Bookshelf main tweeters are at ear level as in the center channel.

Some suggestions:
TV sizes and viewing distance (crutchfield.com)
How To Set Up a 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System (audioholics.com)

If your Pioneer AVR has room calibration, that is a plus. I am for Movies and some Mp3, and that is why I have a 5.1 Set-up, which can also serve as 2 channel stereo.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Two similar subs can work well enough, and if your avr has a single sub pre-out just use a splitter, and place the subs equidistant from your seating. I'd prefer towers in a room that size, but prefer bookshelves to in- or on-wall speakers myself.

As to the old cd changer, I'd get ahead of its eventual issues and rip them to flac and perhaps just add a thumb drive to your avr (what model Elite avr is it?) if not just stream from your computer over wifi with something like a Wiim Pro if your avr lacks the facility.

P

Polar_beer

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think that I may go another way and get rid of all of it and just use a streamer and some active speakers.
My new question: what are some recommendations for active speakers that would provide a similar experience to my current 100 W x 2 + powered sub? Is a couple of Sonos enough?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't think in terms of the wattage as it doesn't mean a lot to begin with on its own let alone compare well on its own....you mean amp power or that is what your speakers are rated for? I see a manaul for your Mission 710 saying max 80w, didn't find anything for the Paradigm Phantom.

I wouldn't buy Sonos speakers at all myself. For fairly inexpensive active speakers might look at the JBL 308, if you want to spend some more the 708 would be good, too; both speakers have 8" mid-bass drivers. Integrating subs with active speakers can be difficult....altho JBL does sell matching subs (at least for the 3xx series, the 310S, not sure about the 7xx series) with an actual crossover between sub/speaker.

P

Polar_beer

Audiophyte
I wouldn't think in terms of the wattage as it doesn't mean a lot to begin with on its own let alone compare well on its own....you mean amp power or that is what your speakers are rated for? I see a manaul for your Mission 710 saying max 80w, didn't find anything for the Paradigm Phantom.

I wouldn't buy Sonos speakers at all myself. For fairly inexpensive active speakers might look at the JBL 308, if you want to spend some more the 708 would be good, too; both speakers have 8" mid-bass drivers. Integrating subs with active speakers can be difficult....altho JBL does sell matching subs (at least for the 3xx series, the 310S, not sure about the 7xx series) with an actual crossover between sub/speaker.
Thanks for the recommendations.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis