option 2: Glock 26 Subcompact
con: no thumb safety
glock accessories galore

option 3: Smith & Wesson M&P9c
con: no demo to handhold - buy blind
con: longest among the 3
"classic" thumb safety

will be using this for concealed carry
Out of those 3, I would personally choose the M&P.

I do like the Beretta Storm, and it's nice that it's pretty much the same platform as the carbines. I just about bought it a couple years ago, but I ended up going with the Baby Eagle II instead. I like it and its unique shape, but in the end it seemed a little bit clunky.

As far as polymer pistols go, I really like the Springfield XD!

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Out of those 3, I would personally choose the M&P.

I do like the Beretta Storm, and it's nice that it's pretty much the same platform as the carbines. I just about bought it a couple years ago, but I ended up going with the Baby Eagle II instead. I like it and its unique shape, but in the end it seemed a little bit clunky.

As far as polymer pistols go, I really like the Springfield XD!
i already have an "XD" (it's the HS2000 over here) and I got my glock 17 last week :D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
What about the M&P Shield 9mm? I just got one and so far I love it. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but if it's anything like my other two M&Ps, it will be fantastic.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've only held the PX4, but have not shot it. I have in the house the G26, and full size M&P and XD. Of the three, the Glock is probably the easiest to shoot and service. Good size vs capacity, not too picky about ammo, and just a good overall pistol. The M&P is definitely the most comfortable to me though and would ultimately be my pick. Accessory wise, they're all pretty similar IMO, with parts and sights readily available for all.

I've had my Shield for quite some time now and it is my EDC for a reason :)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i'll be handling the PX4 this saturday, hopefully there's something to convince me NOT to get it.
(since i can't handle the M&P)
if the handling turns out ok, i'll still be at an impasse.

my hesitation with the M&P compact (shield is out of stock), is that i already have a very similarly sized XD (0.6 inches longer) and the wife thinks it's redundant to the glock and XD due to the looks.

you know that the wife vote should not be discounted easily :D

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I bought an M&P9mm, but not the compact model because I have really big hands. I have handled the Glock, older S&W and several other brands of 9mm, but the M&P is the most comfortable I have held. It shoots better than I do. The first time out, I was using a target shaped like a human outline with circles and a dot in the center of the vital areas. First time shooting in over 20 years- shot #1 was level with the upper red spot, about 2" to the left and #2 was dead center. The only times I miss are when I either don't keep a firm hand or when I just vapor lock and lose focus.

My first, but I think it was a good choice.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
i'll be handling the PX4 this saturday, hopefully there's something to convince me NOT to get it.
(since i can't handle the M&P)
if the handling turns out ok, i'll still be at an impasse.

my hesitation with the M&P compact (shield is out of stock), is that i already have a very similarly sized XD (0.6 inches longer) and the wife thinks it's redundant to the glock and XD due to the looks.

you know that the wife vote should not be discounted easily :D
Personally, I kind of agree with your wife. For me, I have a polymer gun, the XD. I personally just don't have a desire for another polymer frame. It's all steel for me now. Baby Eagle 2 (CZ75 clone) is all steel.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i've pretty much decided on going with the beretta subcompact for the following reasons:

1) wife prefers it
2) wife prefers it (hearing "i told you so" later is not worth it)
3) it's the smallest of the options
4) it just looks better IMO (the S&W is not as videogenic as it is photogenic ... thanks youtube)

but, i should not have clicked on the compact version

A) not much bigger than the subcompact
B) still shorter than my current shortest pistol
C) more holster options
D) rotating barrel theory is interesting

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Very nice, let us know your impressions once you put it through it's paces.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
option 1: Beretta PX4 Subcompact
con: opposite direction thumb safety
con: widest due to the thumb safety
pro: hammer fired
pro: shortest of the 3

option 2: Glock 26 Subcompact
con: no thumb safety
pro: glock accessories galore
pro: can share mags with my G17
pro: thinnest of the 3

option 3: Smith & Wesson M&P9c
con: no demo to handhold - buy blind
con: longest among the 3
pro: "classic" thumb safety

will be using this for concealed carry
Hands down the M&P, especially if you have access to an Apex Tactical trigger kit. Just take the time to deburr and lightly polish the hole that the striker block rides in. The M&P with either an Apex Duty/Carry or Forward Set Sear (FSS) kit has a much better trigger with a much faster reset than either of the other two. Note that I would only use the FSS trigger kit in an M&P with a thumb safety because the trigger pull is radically shortened. I have the FSS kit in my M&P45c, and the Duty/Carry kits in my full sized M&P9 and my 9mm Shield and they rock.

The M&P also has a much lower bore axis than either the Beretta or the Springer, making for much faster follow-up shots. You can also mount a Crimson Trace backstrap laser on an M&P compact. I'm a big believer in lasers and using the CT is more natural on the M&P than a rail mounted laser.

Last edited:
Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
Crime and gang violence has increased in the surrounding neighborhood and a few shootings and stabbings at the local schools so my current go to is a FN SLP (semi shotgun), FN-5.7 MKII and HK VP9. I got a few other toys but right now these are the ones I'm working on muscle memory. I do really love the 5.7, it's like having an AR in pistol form with minimal recoil. It is one hell of a tack driver for a pistol.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i went with the px4 compact.
the store only had the subcompact on display but a lot of people recommended the compact over the subcompact.
the subcompact was also a bit awkward in the hand due to the pinky not having anything to grip, something that makes me think i would drop the pistol in an emergency draw.
i thought about getting extended mags and all, but thought to just get the compact instead of buying stuff to correct the subcompact.

oh, and the px4 vs m&p, i went px4 for the looks :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Subcompact is really only if you definitely intend to conceal carry it all the time IMO, otherwise you want something that fits the hand properly and has the longest barrel for your purpose. I have mag extensions on my Shield's 7rd mags because it actually makes it feel better than the flat 8rd mags. I always carry the 7rd mags. (8 on left, 7 on right)

I'll take function over looks :) but looks count a little too ;)

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
WOW, how have i missed this thread!! Who knew audioholics was a great place to talk about guns too :) Its nice to see So many people supporting the 2A.

So I'm caught up and sorry I missed some great conversations.

Heres my collection

FNX 45 Tactical
MP shield 40
Kahr CW 45
Ruger mark 1
SW bodyguard
Ruger LCP

LWRC AR
Colt Comp H bar
Rock River Arms AR

Marlin 39a 1962 .22
2 ruger 10-22's
winchester 1894 30-30
rem 700 .308

My wife has

FNX 45
Sig p229
Colt lightweight AR
and technically all mine

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i have question regarding 300blk

option 1:
just change out the barrel in one of my uppers

option 2:
build a new upper

questions:
1) is this just a simple barrel swap? no other part i need?
2) for a new upper assembly, similar question to the above, does one need to add feed lips, or is that already included in the upper assembly? does 300 blk use different parts?

i'd post this on ar15.com, but many guys there are such douches.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis