K

karm100fists

Audioholic Intern
Cont.

Due to death in the family my plans have been postponed, but I was able to make this model (with incorrect dimensions) using Live Interior 3D. If you have any suggestions about furniture placement, wiring, or speaker placement for a space of this kind, please offer suggestions.

Hopefully I will have a set of speakers and a ton of cable and banana plugs waiting for me when I get home.

Room is 20' x 14.5' x 9'.

System will be 5.1, room will probably be wired for 7.1.

Subwoofer will probably be to the left of the room or I will have to buy a new coax cable.

Most of the spacing on the model is correct and if you want any other views please let me know.

K

karm100fists

Audioholic Intern
Sorry for the multiple posts.

This space is a studio apartment in a 6 Story Apartment building in Brooklyn, NY.

I do just about everything in this room. And the media that I consume is quite varied.

My current idea for cabling is to simply run them along the baseboards. To do this I will zip tie the cables together and staple zip ties directly to the baseboard.

I'm going to run the wires directly to the speakers on the wall. I think that I will try to conceal them using the white duct tape.

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
For wiring, you can use flatwire on the walls, and use raceway just above baseboards. White duct tape will tear paint and everything else off the wall when you take it down. If you are going to cause that much damage, run the wires inside the walls instead using CL2 rated speaker wire.

Here is the raceway:

and again:

If you still want to zip tie the cables instead, you can try these zip tie mounts...keep in mind that the paint is coming off when you have to remove them as well:

A few ideas for you to consider...if you need anything else, lemme know :)

Last edited:
K

karm100fists

Audioholic Intern
So I bought the wall anchors for the zip ties because this is definitely a temporary wire job. When I own or rent a place that I will stay in for a long time I will probably get raceway.

For now 12ft for $25 is not going to work since the total length that I would need is at least 100ft.

$208 is a lot for wiring that could go to better floorstanders.

Since I DO rent, I will probably paint the walls when I leave so that they don't try to screw me out of any money.

Also, I need two Surge Protectors/power cleaners (one of which only needs to have 1 or 2 outlets on it (and $2k of protection), and the other needs to have 7 or 8 outlets + 1 Coax (cable) +1 cat5 or cat6 (and at least $10k of protection).

Recommendations?

Last edited:
K

karm100fists

Audioholic Intern
So I've gotten everything hooked up and the speakers sound really good. I do have a couple of issues.

1) The SPDIF Coax from my computer results in some static during mp3 and divx playback. I have to troubleshoot to see if I can eliminate it through software means or if I have to buy a soundcard or something. Right now the audio is coming from my ASUS P5Q Pro Motherboard's onboard coax output.

There is no buzz when the computer is not generating audio and there is no buzz from other components.

K

karm100fists

Audioholic Intern
Edit:

So I've gotten everything hooked up and the speakers sound really good. I do have a couple of issues.

1) The SPDIF Coax from my computer results in some static during mp3 and divx playback. I have to troubleshoot to see if I can eliminate it through software means or if I have to buy a soundcard or something. Right now the audio is coming from my ASUS P5Q Pro Motherboard's onboard coax output.

There is no buzz when the computer is not generating audio and there is no buzz from other components.

The same MP3s that I am playing from the computer sound great coming through the PS3...

I will double check the quality from the PS3 to make sure that the problem is not in the receiver or speakers, but I didn't hear any buzz.

2) I can't figure out how to use my girlfriend's iPod with the receiver. It shows up and I get a browse menu but pushing up and down on the remote does not move the selection on the screen. I will try using the buttons on the receiver tonight.

3) 2 out of 4 of my Planet Earth Blu-Ray discs are not working... I wonder if I can exchange them at Best Buy or something.

4) When I push one of the source buttons on the remote it turns the component on or off. I need to figure out how to disable this.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis