K

karm100fists

Audioholic Intern
Hi,

So I have been putting together my Home Theater one piece at a time for a while, and it is by no means impressive.

TV: LG 42LH90 (2010)
Games/BD: PS3 (2007)
Laptop: Macbook Pro (2009)
Desktop: Q6600 DiY (2008)
Receiver: Sony HTiB (2000) (Receiver, Subwoofer, Center, SL, SR)
Speakers: Bose Bookshelves(1980s) (Two of the Sonys broke)

My Birthday is coming up and I am fairly certain that I will be receiving a Pioneer VSX-1020-K. Hooray! Unfortunately it will be pretty lame to have 110W/channel of 7.1 sound coming through some crappy little 50W Sony satellites from 2000. So I will have to spring for some new speakers and a subwoofer.

So I ask for your reccomendations. Keep in mind that this system is installed in a 16' x 20' room in an apartment (with a probable 2nd zone in an 8 x 6 kitchen). Also keep in mind that I am going to have to buy a rack (Shelves: Seville 5 Tier UltraDurable Commercial Chrome Shelving System - Item # 249702 Costco - [$65]) as well as about 100'-200' of lamp wire for the speakers ($50).

I would love to spend under $300 for the speakers/Sub (I still need to buy a new iPod, a universal remote, and a still camera, and I want to upgrade my computer) and I want to enjoy the 7.1 sound if possible.

So my current plan is to purchase the Fluance AV-HTB 5 for $200 and a Polk Audio PSW10 subwoofer for $85. Please help me decide if this is a good idea or you think that I will be unhappy with the arrangement.

An alternative would be to buy real mains for $200/pair and a $100 subwoofer and use the crappy satellites/center speaker from the Sony for a while longer.

What do you think I should do?

Edit:
I will use this system primarily for watching movies and sports/playing video games/listening to music and recording/mixing music.

Last edited:
K

karm100fists

Audioholic Intern
Alternatively, buying refurbished speakers could be a good option. I was looking at the Polk audio store on ebay and there seem to be some good deals.

Perhaps I should have posted this in the speaker forum...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, I'd strongly rec vs getting anything from Fluance at all.
Getting just 2.1 is probably good idea and with your low budget the best suggestion is to get pair of Behringer 2030p speakers and Dayton Sub-120 sub.
Both very capable and worth in SQ several times their price.
Only issue is Behringers as studio monitors don't include grill cover - WYSIWYG
Future expansion should include another two pairs of Behringers and a second sub.

K

karm100fists

Audioholic Intern
Behringers

Here's a question:

If I do buy two nice drivers and a subwoofer for 2.1 sound, is it worth it to use the crappy satellites and second sub to fill out the system to 7.2, or should I just suffer through movies in 2.1?

Alternatively, if I get the Fluance system can't I later add nicer speakers and relegate the "White Van" speakers to the second zone?

Thirdly, have you heard them and determined that they are no good? The only reason that I am even considering them is because CNET gave them such a good review.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Here's a question:

If I do buy two nice drivers and a subwoofer for 2.1 sound, is it worth it to use the crappy satellites and second sub to fill out the system to 7.2, or should I just suffer through movies in 2.1?

You could use your old speakers for surrounds, but center and L/R has to be timbre matched or your HT experience will suffer greatly.

Alternatively, if I get the Fluance system can't I later add nicer speakers and relegate the "White Van" speakers to the second zone?

Yes, you could, but as you correctly mentioned Fluance system isn't far off "White Van" stuff. Imo second zone typically requires smaller speakers so big Fluance might be mismatch, regardless of SQ.

Thirdly, have you heard them and determined that they are no good? The only reason that I am even considering them is because CNET gave them such a good review.

I don't trust Cnet/Zdnet/PC-Mag reviews then I need to buy usb-ps2 adapter :), but seriously they are hardly objective with any reviews.
If you don't my word for it maybe you'll listed to Seth - One of the top members on these forums....

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=661676&postcount=8

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
I would use anything for surrounds (for movies only, not music) vice 2.1

K

karm100fists

Audioholic Intern
So, I should buy a left, right and center speaker and a sub woofer, and use the sony satellites for SL, SR, SBL, and SBR. Then maybe use the 80s Bose speakers in the kitchen for now.

Then after I recover from spending $300+ on these 4 speakers I can buy acoustically matched surround speakers?

Edit:
I'm concerned about buying speakers and then later finding out that I cannot find surrounds that match them.

J&Rs has Polk Audio Monitor 50s on sale for $100/pair. Is that a good deal? If I buy those do I have to get a center and sub as well?

Last edited:
caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
Personally, that's what I did a few months ago...exactly...everything up front I bought second hand. Higher end used stuff (in great shape) is better than low end new stuff IMO.

K

karm100fists

Audioholic Intern
So those Polk Monitor 50s sound really good, though not as good as the $200/pair speakers that I compared them to.

I think that I will probably try to buy a Left Right and Center speaker for around $300 so that I can hear the conversation track in 7.1 movies and build upon that beginning.

Keeping that in mind, any recommendations?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Polk is much better choice than Fluance, however will you like it or not - very much depends on personal preference - Personally I listened to entire Polk bookshelf series in stereo shop few years ago and I didn't liked it very much until we reached really top end models - LSi/9
I'd suggest take some time and your favorite music cd and go to nearby stereo store and listed to whatever they have so you can get SOME idea what you like and don't.
I liked Klipsch speakers a lot, however my tSc were much better value. Unfortunately tSc company is RIP now :-(

In addition to Behringers and Dayton I mentioned above there is good deal on highly respected Jamo 5.0 speaker set:
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/544674283/jamo-s-406-hcs-1-black
However since there aren't much reviews - YMMV with this set, but you could return it to vanns if you don't like.

You'd could use this center speaker for all 3 LCR speaker roles, due to MTM config it'll work fine both vertically and horizontally.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/548329142/jamo-c400cen

K

karm100fists

Audioholic Intern
In addition to Behringers and Dayton I mentioned above there is good deal on highly respected Jamo 5.0 speaker set:
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...06-hcs-1-black
However since there aren't much reviews - YMMV with this set, but you could return it to vanns if you don't like.

Thanks, that's like the same deal as the Fluance only an actual human being seems to be recommending it. $250 for a 5.0 floor standing system is what I would like to pay, realistically. With the option to add some more speakers in the future. I wonder if there is any way that I could hear them first...

K

karm100fists

Audioholic Intern
After spending some time listening to speakers that were way out of my price range I ordered the S 406 5.0 set from Vann's. Can't wait to hear how they sound, but I will have to do so anyways! Thanks for your help!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
After spending some time listening to speakers that were way out of my price range I ordered the S 406 5.0 set from Vann's. Can't wait to hear how they sound, but I will have to do so anyways! Thanks for your help!
You are welcome and even I know that you are taking a chance with speakers without reviews, I tent to trust overall brand quality - Jamo and expect you wont disappointed for this set value and SQ.

(;): This forum uses reputation system and to thank someone for useful answer one might want to click on "Thanks" button on useful post)

K

karm100fists

Audioholic Intern
+1. Appreciate the etiquette lesson.

I'll let you know how I feel about the sound. I was listening to some $400 Def Techs in BB yesterday and I think that some day I'd like to get something of that level, but these speakers are a better match for the budget that I'm on for now. I could could always upgrade the LCR in the future and use those three to fill out the 7.1 or 9.1.

Have a good one!

S

smihalik

Audioholic
+1. Appreciate the etiquette lesson.
Appreciate maybe, but I don't think you understood him. If someone helps you out, instead of posting +1, you click the little thumbs up "thanks" sign in the bottom right of their post. It adds to their rep.

K

karm100fists

Audioholic Intern
I did understand him and I gave him a "thanks" on the helpful post in which he suggested checking out Jamos.

Edit: and because his second post was also helpful, I gave him another thanks... no thanks to you.

Last edited:
S

smihalik

Audioholic
I did understand him and I gave him a "thanks" on the helpful post in which he suggested checking out Jamos.

Edit: and because his second post was also helpful, I gave him another thanks... no thanks to you.

The thanks wasn't showing when I wrote that. I figured it was a glitch or something, but thought you might not have understood. Didn't mean to offend.

K

karm100fists

Audioholic Intern
Sorry, I didn't communicate the tone with the text. It was just a pun. indicating that I wasn't giving you thanks but I was giving them to him. I'll give you thanks to make up for it. After all your post did make me go back and add a second thanks. So... thanks!

S

smihalik

Audioholic
Sorry, I didn't communicate the tone with the text. It was just a pun. indicating that I wasn't giving you thanks but I was giving them to him. I'll give you thanks to make up for it. After all your post did make me go back and add a second thanks. So... thanks!
Lol. Lets do this forever. We will have legendary rep levels!

K

karm100fists

Audioholic Intern
OK, just one time because I want to see my signature and +1.

I am having remote control woes, because the Pioneer Remote is nice, but has tiny buttons, also, when I press the button for a source it automatically hits power for that source, I will have to do some work Wednesday when I have a few hours (though I have about 400 ft of cabling that I have to do that night as well... Maybe I will post pictures and you can give me some advice on cabling

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis