time to add new hardware

R

radio66

Audiophyte
I am looking at the ARCAM AVR10 and the AVR390 model. the 390 is 1k less right now. Looking at the SPECs they look the same. other then the specs is there a real advantage to getting the AVR10 ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seen these yet?

Why just these units for consideration?

R

radio66

Audiophyte
Seen these yet?

Why just these units for consideration?

I hear they are a different a sound. I am curious to hear for myself. I am open to Marantz 7705 or 8012

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Meh on the different sound thing. I don't think that they offer good value particularly myself. You mention a pre-pro from Marantz....are you using separate amplification either way?

ps The greatest sound differences among avrs/pre-pros tends to be their different DSP offerings and different programs for room eq.

Last edited:

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I hear they are a different a sound. I am curious to hear for myself. I am open to Marantz 7705 or 8012
We'd need the hearing capability of a dog to hear the difference from one AVR to another. :)

I'm only half kidding, the things that have the most impact on an audio signal...the speakers and room probably have the most impact...the others are the source, and source player.

I have the Marantz 7702mkii...I've heard the 7703, 7704, 7705 and I can't tell the difference. As Marantz pre/pros go...imo buy at the model transition and get the outgoing model....the top end AVRs jam so much into the box that it has to run hot...with many like the costing $3k or more, I would almost always drop down to lower priced AVR and add any additional power amps.

R

radio66

Audiophyte
Meh on the different sound thing. I don't think that they offer good value particularly myself. You mention a pre-pro from Marantz....are you using separate amplification either way?

ps The greatest sound differences among avrs/pre-pros tends to be their different DSP offerings and different programs for room eq.

yes I am using a 7 channel monolith and have a 1st gen 5 channel emotiva amp

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
There are so many myths surrounding audio. Well, I guess that is true about almost any hobby. :D

If you want the extremely short version of the Audio Critic “truth”, Amps, Analog Preamps, CD players, DAC, and cables/wires don’t have a sound signature of their own.

AVR and Pre-pro (AVP, processors) will sound the sound the same in Direct modes, but they will sound different if you use any kind of DSP or EQ.

Some people may prefer one Room Correction EQ software over other software. Some prefer no room EQ at all. Some prefer their own manual EQ.

If you fancy a certain brand, it’s your money, so go for it.

But if you want to know if one AVR or AVP truly sound better in Direct Mode, the answer is absolutely ”No”.

T

thebrieze

Junior Audioholic
I am looking at the ARCAM AVR10 and the AVR390 model. the 390 is 1k less right now. Looking at the SPECs they look the same. other then the specs is there a real advantage to getting the AVR10 ?
The 390 has limited flexibility on crossover settings, while the AVR10 not only has flexible crossovers, it also has Dirac Live Bass Control. This could be a significant difference.

The AVR10 also has 3 Dirac slots, Roon support, and WiFi, BT, Chromecast for audio streaming. Being a Roon endpoint could be a big deal, if you are a Roon subscriber.

Arcam support (As well as Dirac support) has indicated that a future version of Dirac Bass Control will enable a second independent sub output via Sub2 as part of the paid add on for multi sub optimization. Take this one with a grain of salt though as it’s still in development and not final.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis