Time for an update, been 25 years

B

BFL

Audioholic
Hi, looking for opinions. Hard to believe how 95% of the AV stores in the area are gone now.

I'm going from a 5.1.2 to a 7.2 4. Old setup is Infinity Overture 3s with matching center, def tech 18inch sub, infinity flat panel rears, and 8inch speaker crafts in the ceiling.
I have room challenges cause no left wall as it opens to the kitchen. My sofa sits appx 20 inches from rear wall and I'm appx 13ft from TV. Seems my selection for surround and atmos is limited since my wife said no more holes in ceiling or walls.

What I have done so far are Klipsch RP-500Mii for side surrounds and RP-240d for my rear surround and my rear atmos height speakers. I put Klipsch cdt-5800-c in place of the speaker crafts. I was trying to keep the surround stage with similar tone.

I am replacing the single Def Tech 18inch sub with 2 SVS PB 3000 subs. Due to arrive Monday.

Now I need help with the front 3 speakers. I need something that sound really good, not to bright and that's why I'm not sure about using Klipsch Rf 8000f ii up front. So, had thought about REVEL CONCERTA2 F36, Paradigm 800f, or something from Kef.
As you can tell, I'm in the $1k per speaker range. I figure I do not need any that are base heavy since I will have plenty of base with the 2 subs. Music and Movies are both important. Last issue is they need to offer a center speaker that can fit into the opening of my entertainment center. Forgot to mention my avr is a Denon X4400h.

I know it's hard to compliment the klipsch surrounds, but I figure they are mostly effects anyway.

Thanks and appreciate any input and if there is a speaker I may have overlooked.

B

BFL

Audioholic
Anybody use any of the ones I listed or another I should consider?

B

BFL

Audioholic
I know the ceiling is 9ft. I believe the family room is appx 16x20, however there is no left wall as it opens into the kitchen which is at least another 15ft.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
How important is it that the center speaker fits in that console? That opening looks relatively small and will really limit your options for a good center speaker. With those quality speakers the preference is for a 3 way center with the tweeter above the midrange. A typical MTM center speakers will produce a combing effect that reduces performance off axis. If you listen primarily directly in front of the TV that may be less of a factor but for people sitting on the sides the dialogue will be better with a 3-way.

Here is ShadyJ's review of the RP 800F II. It does have a slightly hot tweeter on axis, but if you aim the speakers straight ahead so that the center seating position is off axis you can tone that down a bit. You could tame it with EQ as well.

The 3 speaker brands you listed are all good options. The Premier 800F offer good value for money and Paradigm makes a good center speaker. The 600C is excellent but large. The 500C is more compact and measures 7 1/8" x 20 1/8" and may fit that console. Here is Shady's review of the 800F and 500C.

The KEFs could be a good option because their speakers use a dual concentric design so a KEF center will have the dual driver in the middle and offer good off axis performance. I haven't had the chance to hear the Revels but plenty of positive comments from owners. There is a review for the F36 from 2016 here. If at all possible I highly recommend that you try and find a dealer to demo any of these models. They will all sound different and what appeals to you will be subjective. Otherwise you will need to rely in detailed measurements. The Paradigms and Revels are fairly neutral if you are looking for something less bright than the Klipsch.

B

BFL

Audioholic
How important is it that the center speaker fits in that console? That opening looks relatively small and will really limit your options for a good center speaker. With those quality speakers the preference is for a 3 way center with the tweeter above the midrange. A typical MTM center speakers will produce a combing effect that reduces performance off axis. If you listen primarily directly in front of the TV that may be less of a factor but for people sitting on the sides the dialogue will be better with a 3-way.

Here is ShadyJ's review of the RP 800F II. It does have a slightly hot tweeter on axis, but if you aim the speakers straight ahead so that the center seating position is off axis you can tone that down a bit. You could tame it with EQ as well.

The 3 speaker brands you listed are all good options. The Premier 800F offer good value for money and Paradigm makes a good center speaker. The 600C is excellent but large. The 500C is more compact and measures 7 1/8" x 20 1/8" and may fit that console. Here is Shady's review of the 800F and 500C.

The KEFs could be a good option because their speakers use a dual concentric design so a KEF center will have the dual driver in the middle and offer good off axis performance. I haven't had the chance to hear the Revels but plenty of positive comments from owners. There is a review for the F36 from 2016 here. If at all possible I highly recommend that you try and find a dealer to demo any of these models. They will all sound different and what appeals to you will be subjective. Otherwise you will need to rely in detailed measurements. The Paradigms and Revels are fairly neutral if you are looking for something less bright than the Klipsch.
Great feedback... Yeah, wish I had the opening for the center made larger.. Its appx 21 x 8. I had thought about a larger center on top of the cabinet, but I plan to upsize the 65" Oled to a 77" and wife already said no wall mounting.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Great feedback... Yeah, wish I had the opening for the center made larger.. Its appx 21 x 8. I had thought about a larger center on top of the cabinet, but I plan to upsize the 65" Oled to a 77" and wife already said no wall mounting.
Check out the Revel towers

No need to wall mount ... use an adjustaable table top stand on the cabinet and it will leave room for a good center under the TV

B

BFL

Audioholic
Interesting... Hadn't seen that mount before.. I will need to ck the LG C2 77inch Oled weight...

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, the table top stand is always an option but it looks like the Paradigm 500C will fit the console and the review of the 800F and 500C is pretty positive. Would have to look into which Revel center would go with the F36.

B

BFL

Audioholic
Hooked up the 2 SVS PB3000 today..plus I added the isolator feet to both. Playing some 70s funk to give them a work out and the dual 3000s did very well. And the isolators also did very well as no more entertainment cabinet rattle. I was concerned going down from a 18inch woofer to a 13inch even though dual now. Can't wait to try a few movies.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hi, looking for opinions. Hard to believe how 95% of the AV stores in the area are gone now.

I'm going from a 5.1.2 to a 7.2 4. Old setup is Infinity Overture 3s with matching center, def tech 18inch sub, infinity flat panel rears, and 8inch speaker crafts in the ceiling.
I have room challenges cause no left wall as it opens to the kitchen. My sofa sits appx 20 inches from rear wall and I'm appx 13ft from TV. Seems my selection for surround and atmos is limited since my wife said no more holes in ceiling or walls.

What I have done so far are Klipsch RP-500Mii for side surrounds and RP-240d for my rear surround and my rear atmos height speakers. I put Klipsch cdt-5800-c in place of the speaker crafts. I was trying to keep the surround stage with similar tone.

I am replacing the single Def Tech 18inch sub with 2 SVS PB 3000 subs. Due to arrive Monday.

Now I need help with the front 3 speakers. I need something that sound really good, not to bright and that's why I'm not sure about using Klipsch Rf 8000f ii up front. So, had thought about REVEL CONCERTA2 F36, Paradigm 800f, or something from Kef.
As you can tell, I'm in the $1k per speaker range. I figure I do not need any that are base heavy since I will have plenty of base with the 2 subs. Music and Movies are both important. Last issue is they need to offer a center speaker that can fit into the opening of my entertainment center. Forgot to mention my avr is a Denon X4400h.

I know it's hard to compliment the klipsch surrounds, but I figure they are mostly effects anyway.

Thanks and appreciate any input and if there is a speaker I may have overlooked.
Of your choices here, I'd go the Paradigm route. 800Fs are way better than they should be at their price. The 500C center is superb. Polk R700s are a step above but you have to get the costlier L400 center to get a true 3-way design. If you've got more budget, the MartinLogan F100s are incredibly good and look fabulous IMO.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
Why downgrade from a single 18 inch subwoofer?
Was there any loss in bass?

In order for you to achieve 7.2.4 here are a few things to keep in mind.

Sit away from the back wall to allow the proper placement.s No point in having a pair directly above you and in front of you. Atmos is designed and mixed with speakers in front and behind you. 45-55 degrees elevation is the range.
This allows distance for the surrounds to ears. Allows rear speakers to be positioned.
Gets you closer to the screen and 12 feet or so is way way too far. I highly recommend half that distance even for a 77 inch for high viewing immersion.

This can only be achieved without the wife's involvement. She will severly restrict yourself from doing so. And you already mentioned she says no to a bunch of things already.
Once you get past the wife issues we can then start talking further. Otherwise all enquires you have will therefore be referred to her as she appears to be making the decions and not you.

What are you prepared to do in regards to achieving your goal?

B

BFL

Audioholic
Of your choices here, I'd go the Paradigm route. 800Fs are way better than they should be at their price. The 500C center is superb. Polk R700s are a step above but you have to get the costlier L400 center to get a true 3-way design. If you've got more budget, the MartinLogan F100s are incredibly good and look fabulous IMO.
Thanks and I will look at the F100s.

B

BFL

Audioholic
Why downgrade from a single 18 inch subwoofer?
Was there any loss in bass?

In order for you to achieve 7.2.4 here are a few things to keep in mind.

Sit away from the back wall to allow the proper placement.s No point in having a pair directly above you and in front of you. Atmos is designed and mixed with speakers in front and behind you. 45-55 degrees elevation is the range.
This allows distance for the surrounds to ears. Allows rear speakers to be positioned.
Gets you closer to the screen and 12 feet or so is way way too far. I highly recommend half that distance even for a 77 inch for high viewing immersion.

This can only be achieved without the wife's involvement. She will severly restrict yourself from doing so. And you already mentioned she says no to a bunch of things already.
Once you get past the wife issues we can then start talking further. Otherwise all enquires you have will therefore be referred to her as she appears to be making the decions and not you.

What are you prepared to do in regards to achieving your goal?
I wanted to go to 2 subs and my sub being over 20 years old I looked locally and could not find another. The bass wasn't very clean. Now that I hooked up the 2 13s I do see it is punchier.. Clean sounding. I want to try a few movies with them. I ordered them direct so I have 45 days to decide. I also considered the Monolith 15 subs. I have to take into consideration not to over power the room with too much bass.

My compromise with the wife was to move the sofa away from the rear wall as it was up against it. Now it's just shy of 2ft. Had the home builder not had 3 large windows in the one wall, I would have run the system length wise for the perfect setup. We just didn't want to block the windows with a massive TV.

Last edited:
B

BFL

Audioholic
meant to ask, suggestions on places to test them in our area? I am in Wesley Chapel. Over the years, seems most of the AV stores have closed up.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
meant to ask, suggestions on places to test them in our area? I am in Wesley Chapel. Over the years, seems most of the AV stores have closed up.
Is that FLA or NC? If you're in FLA, like Gene, I see plenty of AV stores in Tampa. Maybe Gene can recommend one? If in NC, there is an Audio Advice in Charlotte and some other stores as well. Just pull up Google Maps and search for "audio video stores near" and your nearest big city name.

B

BFL

Audioholic
I'm in Florida.. There used to be a lot of av stores.. Now most of the ones that come up in Google are home installer companies.. Not an actual showroom. :(
I did find 1 that I will go to Thurs, but it would be nice to have more than 1 option. Hopefully Gene will look at the thread again and post a few as you mentioned... Thanks for the input.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
If the subwoofer change works out then great!

Actually in regard to blocking a window.
For tv and movie purposes you block it up!
You will struggle to see dark scenes with daylight!

Dark room environment is best!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis