Timbre Matching 101

zackde

zackde

Audioholic Intern
Guys,
A newbie Q again:

1. pls explain what is timbre matching? (i cant find it here in our site)

2. how can i achieve a timbre matched speakers if im planning to buy different brands (i got a 5.1 system & planning to upgrade my front satellites w/ a bookshelf)? some says i got to stick w/ same brand

3. is the word timbre match came from the word timber w/c means wood? why use the word timbre?

thanx :D

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Timbre is the specific tone quality and color. It's pronounded "Tamber". A saxophone and a trumpet can play the same note A below middle C with a fundamental freqency of 440Hz. They will, however, sound drastically different because of the different harmonics each of the instruments posseses. This tone color that differentiates instruments playing the same note is Timbre.

Speakers also impart colorations on the sound they reproduce, some more than others. However, each speaker imparts a certain coloration on the sound. This coloration tends to be consistent within a manufacturer and therefore their speakers tend to be "Timbre Matched". This matching is most important in an HT system with the Center and front L&R speakers.

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
zackde,

Although recommended, you don't have to stick with the same brand. What you will want to look for ideally is the same driver sizes and crossover frequencies. Speaker construction does play into things, however, which is why it is a good idea to stick with the same brand (especially across the front channels). I use Klipsch across the front and Def Techs in the rear and it sounds great. I know if I mixed the brands across the front, it would be very distracting and would not provide a smooth sound field.

zackde

zackde

Audioholic Intern
doug,

same driver size for fronts & center?

what crossover frequency? is it the frquency range of a speaker you are talking about?

thanks

Doug917 said:
zackde,

Although recommended, you don't have to stick with the same brand. What you will want to look for ideally is the same driver sizes and crossover frequencies. Speaker construction does play into things, however, which is why it is a good idea to stick with the same brand (especially across the front channels). I use Klipsch across the front and Def Techs in the rear and it sounds great. I know if I mixed the brands across the front, it would be very distracting and would not provide a smooth sound field.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Crossover frequency is the freqency where a different driver on the speaker takes over. For instance, on a largish 2-way bookshelf speaker (consisting of an 8" Mid/Woofer and a 1" Dome tweeter), the woofer would handle frequencies from about 45Hz to about 2500-3000Hz. After this, the signal crosses over to the tweeter for output.

Freqency range is the entire range of output a speaker can produce, this being optimally 20Hz to 20kHz. Of course, you need a fairly large floorstanding speaker to achieve this kind of range.

Most people using bookshelf speakers or even floorstanders, will use a subwoofer to handle the freqencies from around 20Hz to 60-80Hz (another crossover point). The THX standard for subwoofer crossover point is 80Hz.

zackde

zackde

Audioholic Intern
also im confused on the specs of my subs.

LF response = 28hz (boundary)
crossover range = 70-170 hz

what do this mean?
what is my subs freq range?

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
zackde said:
also im confused on the specs of my subs.

LF response = 28hz (boundary)
crossover range = 70-170 hz

what do this mean?
what is my subs freq range?
your sub will probably do 28 to near 200, which is very decent. many subs have trouble doing 40 or 30. the crossover is the point where the sub hands off the higher tones to your front speakers. if you have good size main speakers, the crossover will probably be between 60 and 100. smaller fronts may need a crossover of 120 or 140.

If you get too much higher than that, you start to notice where the bass comes from, when you actually want to be in the middle of the explosions, etc. At the lower end, it is very difficult to tell where the base is.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis