Y

yam665

Audiophyte
I have the Klipsch QUINTET SL 5.1 speakers, and would like to upgrade to 7.1 or 9.1.
timber matched, floor speakers

if i understand right, if i get new rears they do not need to be timber matched,
but front floors do.
and what about 9.1 do the height speakers need to be timber matched ?

this system is hook up to Yamaha 665 amp and ps3/blu ray.

can u recommend some floors that timber match QUINTET SL ?

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Timbre

I have the Klipsch QUINTET SL 5.1 speakers, and would like to upgrade to 7.1 or 9.1.

if i understand right, if i get new rears they do not need to be timber matched,
but front floors do.

The fronts and center speakers should be matched to maitain timbre ( seamless front sound). The ideal match is a three speakers exactly alike.

You system, Klipsch Quintet SL already has matched front and center speakers.

If you want to go to 7.1 you can move the two fronts to the rear speakers and current rears to rear surrounds.

Depending on your budget you can upgrade your fronts and add a matching center or upgrade to 3 exact speakers L, R, C. The Yamaha 665 only provides 90 watts per channel into 7 channels plus 2 pre outs for subwoofer. You also have pre-outs for all 7 channels, so you could easily add external amplifiers which might be needed, especially for the front speakers.

9.1 is basically the same but add two more speakers; they don't need to match the front speakers. The Yamaha 665 is only 7.2 , so you would need to upgrade your AVR to a 9.1 model if thatiswhat you really want.

The absolute ideal system is all nine (9) speakers exactly alike, but that isexpensive $$$. It is best to spend the major portion of your money on your front speakers and get a matching center speakers. You can save money by getting less ( but still good) surround and presence speakers.

the .1 is a different story. Depending on you budget you can upgrade to a better sub, such as SVS or Hsu, and get better bass sound. The sub also does not need to match the fronts

Concerning height, the center speaker provides the main dialog and close to listening ear level is good, but it can be above or below TV or screen. The surround and presence speakers work best at ear height.

Good Luck!

Forest Man

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Matching timber is good - it looks a little funny if you have different wood for your speakers. Matching TIMBRE is good too. It is less important to match the rears, but that doesn't mean you won't get the best results by getting matching speakers.

ozmedia

ozmedia

Audioholic
Not imperative

but front floors do.

As others have mentioned, rears and side surrounds are not as important with timbre matching. The key with timbre matching is with the fronts, where it is noticeable. In an action movie for example, if a sound pans from left to right with motion across the screen, the tone needs to be the same across the fronts or else the panning isn't seamless and you'll notice a tonal change across the speakers as the sound travels from left to centre and then the right speaker.

Surrounds are less imperative as they are usually dispersed, ambient sounds.

I have to ask though, why even bother with 9.1?
Do you find there's enough material out there to justify the expense ?

I know that even 7.1 disks are not too common yet, by the time 9.1 is common in the DVD store, the cost of 9.1 receivers will drop immensely while the included features improve.

Early adopters usually impress the neighbours, but find they have obsolete hardware that they spent the most money on by the time the technology is widely available.

Look at all the people who ran out and bought flat panel displays early on (oh no, cable is going digital next year I better buy a new TV today!).

They spent top dollar on poor quality LCD's when only 3 or 4 channels were actually broadcast locally in HD (despite the orginal source being watermarked as HD, the local broadcast was often not). So they spent top dollar, on something that quickly became obsolete and people who waited and paid less, now have more capable panels, faster pixel rates etc.

I see the same with 9.1 and even 7.1 is not quite there yet. I have clients all the time looking for 7.1 systems, when they just bought a 5.1 receiver a couple of years ago and now want the latest. Okay if you have money though I supose though.

Not knocking your choices, just wondering if you've thought it out. How much source material will you get in 9.1 before better product is available for less money?

Y

yam665

Audiophyte
Timbre mached floors for Klipsch QUINTET SL

let me say thank you all for the great advice on surround sound.
The yam665 will do 9.2 with the zone 2 amp switched on for presence speakers.
the reason i want to do it is because i can.... "not".
reason being because the 665 will simulate cinema dsp 3d 9.2 sound even if the disc not not have it :cool:

what i need is recommendations on Timbre matched floors speakers for Klipsch QUINTET SL speaker system.
or explain how to Timbre match floors for Klipsch QUINTET SL, would be even better so i can learn how to Timbre match myself.
I mean what does Timbre match really even mean :confused:, just that all the speakers are the same.
or is it more, can u Timbre match diff makes and models. :eek:

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
let me say thank you all for the great advice on surround sound.
The yam665 will do 9.2 with the zone 2 amp switched on for presence speakers.
the reason i want to do it is because i can.... "not".
reason being because the 665 will simulate cinema dsp 3d 9.2 sound even if the disc not not have it :cool:

what i need is recommendations on Timbre matched floors speakers for Klipsch QUINTET SL speaker system.
or explain how to Timbre match floors for Klipsch QUINTET SL, would be even better so i can learn how to Timbre match myself.
I mean what does Timbre match really even mean :confused:, just that all the speakers are the same.
or is it more, can u Timbre match diff makes and models. :eek:
Timbre match is essentially the matching of speaker defects. So you'd need the exact same speaker to match timbre. Sometimes a speaker designer will prefer certain defects over others. So this can make matching manufacturers better. But this isn't always the case.

Y

yam665

Audiophyte
new center for new floors $$$

Timbre match is essentially the matching of speaker defects. So you'd need the exact same speaker to match timbre. Sometimes a speaker designer will prefer certain defects over others. So this can make matching manufacturers better. But this isn't always the case.

so what u are saying is I have to get Klipsch QUINTET SL speakers to be timbre matched, I cant get bigger floor speakers ? less i buy a new center channel with them.
what do u recommended for my three fronts, I want loud 2 channel music. way loud. but good bluray sround sound.
spent 400.00 for the Klipsch. I was thinking 800.00 for the fronts but now need a center too

Knucklehead90

Knucklehead90

Audioholic
so what u are saying is I have to get Klipsch QUINTET SL speakers to be timbre matched, I cant get bigger floor speakers ? less i buy a new center channel with them.
what do u recommended for my three fronts, I want loud 2 channel music. way loud. but good bluray sround sound.
spent 400.00 for the Klipsch. I was thinking 800.00 for the fronts but now need a center too
Not necessarily. You can mix n match if you know which speakers will timbre match with other speakers. Certainly it is a hit and miss proposition.

On occasion strange things happen though - and things that weren't meant/thought to be mated together also happen. I used an AV123 RSC200 center channel with a pair of Emotiva 8.3 towers. Timbre match wasn't close but I enjoyed the clean and clear sound of the Bigfoot until the opportunity to sell it came up. I was also dismantling my bedroom 5 speaker setup to go back to a 2 channel setup to regain some floor space.

Anyway center speaker was the Infinity Beta C360. What the hell - I stuck it into the mix with my 8.3s and did some initial manual setup. I recognized immediately that timbre match was near perfect. In fact if I were to A/B it with a test tone I don't think I could pick out the present Emotiva 6.3 from the C360.

And for what its worth the C360 is damn near as good as the 6.3 - very smooth and detailed. It can't take the high SPL like the 6.3 though.

Y

yam665

Audiophyte
recommend timber match loud speaker

can anyone recommend some floors/loud bookshelf that timber match QUINTET SL ?

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
can anyone recommend some floors/loud bookshelf that timber match QUINTET SL ?
Thats pretty much impossible. A crapshoot at best. The SL's are the only guaranteed match.

I would recommend getting a new front stage (the only thing that requires TIMBRE matching.) Move your current fronts to surround duty, and your surrounds to further surround duty.

If you stick with Klipsch, you'll get close, but it doesnt really matter.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis