WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Nice summary from Adire. This is 'why'(obviously I was not concerned with covering 'why' in the reply--only the net result), primarily, accleration is limited.

-Chris

annunaki said:
I think what most mean by "fast" in this instance, is transient response. Not actual speed. "A fast cone" is definitely marketing speak for transient response.

Here is a good article on what I was getting at. Slightly different topic though.

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/TechPapers/WooferSpeed.pdf

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
annunaki said:
I think what most mean by "fast" in this instance, is transient response. Not actual speed.
I disagree with what you think most people 'mean' by fast. Based purely on my observation of general audio enthusiasts, and the way they refer to fast, is as a subjective interpretation of what they think it sounds like - not a technical analysis of what is physically occuring. Obviously, it's irrelevant if a subwoofer can respond to 20,000 Hz. It's bandwidth is limited far below that in proper use, anyway. So, actual transient response is laregley irrelevant, in that regard of upper bandwidth limit. More relevant, I believe is using the transducer within it's linear limits so the frequency respnose remains constant at high and low amplitude, and distortion is kept reasonbly low in respect to audible thresholds. However, simple frequency response differences in low end extension can probably elicit these 'fast' or 'slow' comments as well. Additionally, the overall balance of mid/migh frequency harmonics that correlate with the low frequencies may also contriute signficantly to the 'fastness' interpretation.

-Chris

annunaki

annunaki

Chris, I definitley agree with the latter portion of your last statement. Midrange/midbass interaction with the bass region is crucial for "fast" transient response. Crossover frequency selection as well as slope are equally important there as well. Assuming of course a subwoofer and speakers are being used. Keeping units within linear opration is also very important here as well. I think that we have hijacked this poor guys thread enough though. if you would like to continue this dicussion send me a PM, or simply start a new thread.

cam

cam

Audioholic
When someone says that a certain sub is slow, I think that it is more then likely a phase issue. For instance, My pw-2200 hits every bass note dead on. When I change my phase control it all of a sudden seems like it is a step off or what everyone always says, slow. Now, there are alot of subs out there that are sloppy, meaning that they kind of smear the bass notes together, which usually gets labelled as slow. There is no such thing as a slow sub. If it is calibrated perfectly and operating whithin its excursion and distortion limits it will be bang on. A sub could be labelled as sloppy but not slow.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis