Three sets of speakers, which one to go with?

P

pirate1

Audiophyte
Hi, I'm new to high end and have been deciding on a system. I have the first part posted on the pre/pro, amp page and am trying to make up my mind on the speakers. I've got them narrowed down to three sets. Here's what I am looking at. The PSB Synchrony 1, the RBH Signature, or the B&W 803s. I am not really located where I can just go and listen to them and I would really appreciate some input on which might be the best and/or the best value.

S

satish536

Audioholic
When your ready to spend in that range, please audition your choices before you choose so that you're familiar with the type of sound each offers.

My vote goes to the RBH Signatures.

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
You really are talking a lot of money at that point...and there are lots of brands you aren't considering. I would suggest you look for a Dali dealer and see what they offer-the Mentor line would be lower than what you are looking at, Helicon would probably compare, and Euphonia might compare/be a little over what you are looking for...just a suggestion. I love my Ikons from Dali.

You could also be looking at RBH's Status Acoustics brand as well, which is their highend stuff...

P

pirate1

Audiophyte
Thanks, I'm really leaning to the RBHs. Going to drive a ways next week to give them a listen. Would love the Status Acoustics I'm sure but the price is just too high for me. Besides I'll already be into overkill with the Signatures for the size of my house. Well, I hope they sound as good as I've read.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
You really are talking a lot of money at that point...and there are lots of brands you aren't considering. I would suggest you look for a Dali dealer and see what they offer-the Mentor line would be lower than what you are looking at, Helicon would probably compare, and Euphonia might compare/be a little over what you are looking for...just a suggestion. I love my Ikons from Dali.

You could also be looking at RBH's Status Acoustics brand as well, which is their highend stuff...
Go Straight to the top of Dali, an head for the Euphonias, they can be had used on Audiogon for a far better price... check out these sexy mama's...

P

pirate1

Audiophyte
Thanks

Wow, those do look nice. Great reviews too. I'm pretty much decided on the RBH signature reference series. Going down next week to listen to some. The only Dali dealer I can find is a couple of hours away. Maybe I can swing out there when I go to check out the RBHs. They are about an hour and a half away. I would like to give a listen to the Dali. Have to see if I can make it happen. Thanks.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
For the amount of money that you afre going to spend, you really need to budget time to audition all of these speakers and not just listen to opinions. They are all terrfic speakers with each speaker having different strengths and weaknessses compared to one another. What its all about is to find the speaker which best suits your ears. PSB Synchrony series has garnered many favourable reviews in the audio industry but that in itself may not match what you percieve to be a good match for you. Please go out and listen/audition. Good luck and let us know how you make out. :)

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Did you realize Audiholics now sell online version of RBHs

Thanks, I'm really leaning to the RBHs. Going to drive a ways next week to give them a listen. Would love the Status Acoustics I'm sure but the price is just too high for me. Besides I'll already be into overkill with the Signatures for the size of my house. Well, I hope they sound as good as I've read.
The EMP speaker line is the online version of the RBH speakersthat Audioholics sells; granted not hte signature level. That being said the RBH sounds like a very nice psekaer choice as as previously mentioned it is good to audition in a similar environment (room size, speaker placement)to where you will be using the speakers.

Good Luck!

P

pirate1

Audiophyte
thanks

Thanks for all the input. I will audition the speakers before I buy. It's hard for me because not that much anywhere close to me so it takes a little driving to check it all out. I've been without a good system for some time and the last week or two bringing myself up to date has been very interesting. I've pretty well got my component list ready at this point. I'm figuring the Integra DTC 9.8 with 5 NuForce ref9vse mono amps with the RBHs. I'm thinking two T-2 for front l & r with three T-1 for front center and rear l & r. From my research this would appear to be a pretty good system. Of course, it could still change as I audition the parts but at least I have a starting point. I've considered adding an Earthquake MKVI 15 but I'll wait and see if it's necessary when I audition the speakers. From what I've read the T-2 do pretty well on their own. Didn't know that about the EMP at the store though I did notice the other day that they look just like the RBH. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I can get everything auditioned and see if this list changes.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Well, the top of the Dali line would be these, appropriately known as the "Megaline" :eek:

http://www.dali.dk/us/page245.aspx?sub=266&prod=565

I'm in no way suggesting you get these...I think they go for somewhere in the $40k range :D

hhheheh yes sir you are correct....

I guess I just draw an imaginary line and anything in the rediculus price range just isn't visible to me... that, and I was trying to stay in the somewhat unstated budget, and the Euphonia's used hit that mark.. kinda... hehehehe

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
Understandable-but they are fun to drool over...I'm not even sure they would fit in my house.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for all the input. I will audition the speakers before I buy. It's hard for me because not that much anywhere close to me so it takes a little driving to check it all out. I've been without a good system for some time and the last week or two bringing myself up to date has been very interesting. I've pretty well got my component list ready at this point. I'm figuring the Integra DTC 9.8 with 5 NuForce ref9vse mono amps with the RBHs. I'm thinking two T-2 for front l & r with three T-1 for front center and rear l & r. From my research this would appear to be a pretty good system. Of course, it could still change as I audition the parts but at least I have a starting point. I've considered adding an Earthquake MKVI 15 but I'll wait and see if it's necessary when I audition the speakers. From what I've read the T-2 do pretty well on their own. Didn't know that about the EMP at the store though I did notice the other day that they look just like the RBH. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I can get everything auditioned and see if this list changes.
Looks like you are well on your way... I have a question...

I see you have IcePower on your list... Is there a reason why you are focused on the NuForce amps... they are really pretty expensive. Also there are better and newer IcePower modules out there, for cheaper and a more refined sound...

Both D-Sonic and Wyred4Sound make amps with the B&0 ASP modules, both in monoblock, stereo, as well as multichannel versions...

Here is a good thread to read... if you have a little time...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=855660

Disclosure, I have a D-Sonic 2000-5 amp powering my Paradigm Sigs.
3x525wpc front 3, 2x250wpc rears which doubles at 4 ohms...

I am not suggesting you are making a wrong decision, I personally just like to have more options where I can also save money if possible...

Last edited:
J

jamie2112

Banned
I would go for the B&Ws as they smoke the RBH speakers. I listened to both sets and although I have not heard the Dalis I am a huge B&W fan as they sound great with any type of music or movies. Listen to them and you decide. I would listen for sure to the RBH and B&Ws....Good luck

P

pirate1

Audiophyte
auditioning soon

Yes, I will try to listen to the B&W also. Checking up on those totems was interesting. They sound like they are good speakers. Don't know if I'll be able to find a set to audition but I'll take a look. I also want to give a listen to some Ariel Acoustics. The reason behind the NuForce is because I read several really high reviews on them. Now that I was checking out the amps you mentioned I'll really have to see if I can find a Red Dragon mono to check out too. They got some pretty great reviews also but they are about half again as much as the NuForce. Learning more every day but like you say the real proof is in the listening. Some stuff came up and it looks like I may not be able to audition any this week after all but I'm hoping the middle of the week next week I can take a day or two and just go and listen to speakers.

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
I would go for the B&Ws as they smoke the RBH speakers. I listened to both sets and although I have not heard the Dalis I am a huge B&W fan as they sound great with any type of music or movies. Listen to them and you decide. I would listen for sure to the RBH and B&Ws....Good luck
Funny, I had the exact opposite experience :confused:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis