G

gaby95

Audioholic
Hello!
Are you leaving a gap between the speaker and screen? I am trying to go AT screen BUT with the size of the speaker alone, leaving any more gaps will make me forget about this. I was hoping that since the JBL Series 5 (JBL 590, 580 etc) has a recessed tweeter it may not need the usual 6" or so gap I see often recommended.
Thoughts?

PS Screen is Silver Ticket WAB model so a woven model.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello!
Are you leaving a gap between the speaker and screen? I am trying to go AT screen BUT with the size of the speaker alone, leaving any more gaps will make me forget about this. I was hoping that since the JBL Series 5 (JBL 590, 580 etc) has a recessed tweeter it may not need the usual 6" or so gap I see often recommended.
Thoughts?

PS Screen is Silver Ticket WAB model so a woven model.
Those are large speakers, so I assume you are placing those speakers behind the screen. Those speakers are horn loaded, so the tweeters are not recessed. The audio will be timed at the mouth of the horn. I would think you should allow at least 6" or more between those speakers and horn mouths. Horns emit sound a greater pressure in front of the horn than other types. The acoustic resistance of a woven screen is likely to upset a horn, more then other types. So in essence you need to allow plenty of space between those speakers and the screen. In addition the crossover point of those speakers is lower then other types, as those horns carry the upper midrange as well.

G

gaby95

Audioholic
Those are large speakers, so I assume you are placing those speakers behind the screen. Those speakers are horn loaded, so the tweeters are not recessed. The audio will be timed at the mouth of the horn. I would think you should allow at least 6" or more between those speakers and horn mouths. Horns emit sound a greater pressure in front of the horn than other types. The acoustic resistance of a woven screen is likely to upset a horn, more then other types. So in essence you need to allow plenty of space between those speakers and the screen. In addition the crossover point of those speakers is lower then other types, as those horns carry the upper midrange as well.
Well only one would be behind the screen the one acting as Center. I have read that woven screens allow for even 1" to be fine but based on what you are saying above, I am thinking I will forget about this idea and just keep my center below the screen. Is a nice 3way center with wide dispersion that matches rather nicely. Just wanted to be able to have the audio coming right from the center of the screen but wont be happening then.
Thanks!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well only one would be behind the screen the one acting as Center. I have read that woven screens allow for even 1" to be fine but based on what you are saying above, I am thinking I will forget about this idea and just keep my center below the screen. Is a nice 3way center with wide dispersion that matches rather nicely. Just wanted to be able to have the audio coming right from the center of the screen but wont be happening then.
Thanks!
What exactly is your center speaker? The speakers you mentioned are all tower speakers.

G

gaby95

Audioholic
What exactly is your center speaker? The speakers you mentioned are all tower speakers.
Likely going to be the JBL 570 as it is less deep than the 590 which is what my other speakers are. And yes, I prefer to use a tower if I am going with the hassle of going with an AT screen and making changes to my existing setup :)

PS Or I may end up just using my existing Infinity RC263 which is actually a very close timbre match after Audyssey but rather try the JBL 570 first.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Likely going to be the JBL 570 as it is less deep than the 590 which is what my other speakers are. And yes, I prefer to use a tower if I am going with the hassle of going with an AT screen and making changes to my existing setup :)

PS Or I may end up just using my existing Infinity RC263 which is actually a very close timbre match after Audyssey but rather try the JBL 570 first.
You are making some errors here. The center speaker is the most important and generally handles the most power. The 570 only handles half the power of the 590.

Your infinity has good power handling, but it is 3 db less sensitive, 89db versus 92db. So it essentially only has half the output like the 570.

I would make all three speakers the same. No screen is perfectly acoustically transparent. Cinemas place the speakers well back from the screen and generally Eq, for the HF attenuation of the screen. This type of loss is actually something the is easily and reliably equalized out.

So I would use the same speakers, and measure FR with and without the screen, and then use Eq if there is significant HF attenuation.

G

gaby95

Audioholic
You are making some errors here. The center speaker is the most important and generally handles the most power. The 570 only handles half the power of the 590.

Your infinity has good power handling, but it is 3 db less sensitive, 89db versus 92db. So it essentially only has half the output like the 570.

I would make all three speakers the same. No screen is perfectly acoustically transparent. Cinemas place the speakers well back from the screen and generally Eq, for the HF attenuation of the screen. This type of loss is actually something the is easily and reliably equalized out.

So I would use the same speakers, and measure FR with and without the screen, and then use Eq if there is significant HF attenuation.
I know the center speaker is the most important for MOVIES, but I also listen to music here so there is no reason to go with the 570s for LR and sacrificing my 2 channel audio. And already fitting a 570 as center is pushing it much less the much deeper 590.
I dont need my speakers to handle TONS of power either, so not sure why the assumption and they are all driven by a monolith 7x200w so power is not lacking even if I needed to push them that hard.
I wish when someone asks something around here, people wouldnt try to know more than they OP about their requirements and limitations.
If I could just fit all 590s, I wouldnt be asking for other things here, duh. But that was NEVER the question.
I am done with this thread....maybe one day people will stop assuming things.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I know the center speaker is the most important for MOVIES, but I also listen to music here so there is no reason to go with the 570s for LR and sacrificing my 2 channel audio. And already fitting a 570 as center is pushing it much less the much deeper 590.
I dont need my speakers to handle TONS of power either, so not sure why the assumption and they are all driven by a monolith 7x200w so power is not lacking even if I needed to push them that hard.
I wish when someone asks something around here, people wouldnt try to know more than they OP about their requirements and limitations.
If I could just fit all 590s, I wouldnt be asking for other things here, duh. But that was NEVER the question.
May be someday, people will properly define their problem and not assume we are Clairvoyant!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That was really a little unfair how you came at @TLS Guy I don't think he was trying to do anything other then help. Even at lower power he is correct the best speaker needs to be the center channel it needs the best dynamics the best everything really as it carries the bulk of the load.

For music if you use surround formats the center channel is even more important music is more demanding then movies on amps and speakers.

Have you thought about a 580. I think the 570 would drag down the 590's a bit but the 580 could keep up very well if you can make it work with your space requirements

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That was really a little unfair how you came at @TLS Guy I don't think he was trying to do anything other then help. Even at lower power he is correct the best speaker needs to be the center channel it needs the best dynamics the best everything really as it carries the bulk of the load.

For music if you use surround formats the center channel is even more important music is more demanding then movies on amps and speakers.

Have you thought about a 580. I think the 570 would drag down the 590's a bit but the 580 could keep up very well if you can make it work with your space requirements
I guess people aren't used to places like this where we actually try to get as much information as we can before making recommendations. Maybe they just wanted an opinion dump like reddit or facebook?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis