Thoughts on this approach...

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
i asked the seller how they are connected on the other side and I'm still waiting for a reply

and yes i stated that he should remove the jumpers

BUT maybe they are not bi/amped/wired.

I'm thinking if these guys are still alive the wires could be connected to one source instead of two

i hope that makes sense

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
well, nht must be a super speaker since the seller claims great sound.
If he tried to play those the way they're wired in the pic there was no sound that you would want to hear a speaker make. That's a recipe for a fried amp, no exceptions or questions asked.

I'd guess that speaker is not hooked up to an amp and he stuck the cabling on there strictly for the pic, just to show how cool it looks.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If he tried to play those the way they're wired in the pic there was no sound that you would want to hear a speaker make. That's a recipe for a fried amp, no exceptions or questions asked.

I'd guess that speaker is not hooked up to an amp and he stuck the cabling on there strictly for the pic, just to show how cool it looks.
I would think if its "bi-wired" with the jumpers on, no harm would come. Yes, it is defeating the stated "purpose" of bi-wiring... and if used that way, the effective result is just a lower AWG, hence lower cable resistance and more current (the ol' Bigger Piplene Plumbing Analogy).

Please correct if I am mistaken! :)

By removing the jumpers, you are discretely powering the HF and LF terminals from one amp channel. I know its said that it is supposed to increase clarity, or something like that. I've only talked to one speaker designer that believes in Bi-Wiring. Though the rest add the 2 pairs of binding posts, none have agreed with the practice of either bi-wire or bi-amp... One went as far to say he does it out of market expectation and protecting the resale value of the speakers on the used market if his customers ever choose to sell.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I would think if its "bi-wired" with the jumpers on, no harm would come. Yes, it is defeating the stated "purpose" of bi-wiring... and if used that way, the effective result is just a lower AWG, hence lower cable resistance and more current (the ol' Bigger Piplene Plumbing Analogy).

Please correct if I am mistaken! :)
No, I think you're right. I'm thinking of using 2 separate amp channels in that configuration, which would blow your amp. I'm pretty sure simple bi wire using one channel for both connections would work the way you describe.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If the speakers work fine still then they work fine still, but someone who does stuff like that I wouldn't drive far to find out.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
for the sake of whoever ends up with these speakers, i hope pogre is correct and the seller put back the jumpers for the next guy and decided to wire it up just for a photo

i can't wait to see what his reply will be

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis