Thoughts on the new Macintosh sub...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Aside from the silly vu meters and price with unproved performance, what could go wrong?

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
I saw the price and wondered how much it would cost to match the performance with subs from other manufacturers

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I saw the price and wondered how much it would cost to match the performance with subs from other manufacturers
Four 12"s in a stack should be pretty good SPL per square foot, anyway. Hilariously bad value at 50k each. I don't trust that McIntosh would use a truly good driver.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Four 12"s in a stack should be pretty good SPL per square foot, anyway. Hilariously bad value at 50k each. I don't trust that McIntosh would use a truly good driver.
So if I say stacked four say...... PB2000 pros..... Would we be getting close? Obviously there are many variables, just wondering how low you could go price wise and best it.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So if I say stacked four say...... PB2000 pros..... Would we be getting close? Obviously there are many variables, just wondering how low you could go price wise and best it.
I'd bet my house that four SVS PB2000 pros stacked would smash that 50k peice of turd

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'd bet my house that four SVS PB2000 pros stacked would smash that 50k peice of turd
This is a real disgrace. There are absolutely no published specifications, except dimensions, number of drivers, amps and power. There are pages of marketing drivel from dumb as rocks marketers, aped in reviews that I suspect are paid for. No one has done third party measurements.

This is an absolute con, and anyone would be insane to purchase one of these. The only thing that stands out is the power, apart from that in the absence of amy meaningful specs, you should assume there is a lot that is being hidden here to cover for an acoustic design disaster. Do not touch this contraption with a barge pole.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
This is a real disgrace. There are absolutely no published specifications, except dimensions, number of drivers, amps and power. There are pages of marketing drivel from dumb as rocks marketers, aped in reviews that I suspect are paid for. No one has done third party measurements.

This is an absolute con, and anyone would be insane to purchase one of these. The only thing that stands out is the power, apart from that in the absence of amy meaningful specs, you should assume there is a lot that is being hidden here to cover for an acoustic design disaster. Do not touch this contraption with a barge pole.
I don't think you need to warn our readership from buying this sub, LOL. I doubt very much that anyone who reads Audioholics is also considering buying this McIntosh sub.

T

tree001

Audiophyte
If it will rock like a pendulum that means its output is normal.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't think you need to warn our readership from buying this sub, LOL. I doubt very much that anyone who reads Audioholics is also considering buying this McIntosh sub.
I guess the arrogance of it all just gets under my skin. Just launch a big box, with no specs. Just trust us we are the best and do a marketers snow job. It would not surprise me if Mac have no clue as to what its performance really is. I am tempted to believe if there was something to brag about, it would be all over the marketers blurb. My conclusion is there is something to hide, and may be a lot.

When you think about it this is malfeasance on a pretty grand scale.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I guess the arrogance of it all just gets under my skin. Just launch a big box, with no specs. Just trust us we are the best and do a marketers snow job. It would not surprise me if Mac have no clue as to what its performance really is. I am tempted to believe if there was something to brag about, it would be all over the marketers blurb. My conclusion is there is something to hide, and may be a lot.

When you think about it this is malfeasance on a pretty grand scale.
I don't think there is anything to hide or that there is malfeasance. I think its target market is seeing it for what it is and is OK with that: a status symbol. The high price is a major part of the appeal. Rolls Royce just released a car that is being sold for 30 million dollars, but is there 30 million dollars worth of materials or effort there? There are many over-priced audio components that are nothing more than living room jewelry, and these subs are just more along those lines.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
lol I don’t know about the knobs but I do love their meters and in a sub it’s a Mc fans dream. The cost of all this high priced gear is targeted to the top .01 percent who have so much money they have to look for ways to spend it all. Plus they can tell all their rich friends how much they spent on a sub. If those six numbers would all line up just the right way for one jackpot…

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
It's meant to be in one of those poser audio rooms, with nothing but amps on the floor, cable risers, and cables clad in imaginium and the single token Eames chair in the middle. Otherwise, they'd have had to put the VU meters on top. I hope those meters are filled with glycerin or it's going to look like there is 6 pointers in there.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Don't hold your breath for that one, unless James Larson wants to wrestle with a 500lbs 6.5' cabinet.
Yeah, but seeing one of these subs all by its lonesome in the corner of that desolate parking lot James uses would be just golden ! :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis