Thoughts on Niles SI-2150 (with internal pic)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I assume this is class D because of the low (10.7 lb) weight and the small transformer. There is, however, no fan!

At $430, it is a pretty good price for 150W@8ohms and 270W@4ohms.
It is very thin at 2-1/4" high (includes feet)
The four capacitors are each 200V @ 680 microfarads. Right off 680 looks low, but I am used to voltages like 71 (IIRC)!
Niles has a pretty good reputation with their older class AB gear for well built and I suspect that the home installation industry requires some rigor to stay successful since these are likely designed to sit in a closet with other electronics. I don't know if much can be deciphered from the photo or not. It certainly contrasts nicely with the packed interior of an AVR!:

IMG_20200623_200842 (1280x960).jpg

Here is a link to Crutchfield for specifications/description (specifications are listed under the "Overview" tab if you scroll down)
Product highlights:
  • 150 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.2% with 2 channels driven
  • 270 watts per channel into 4 ohms
  • channels are bridgeable to 550 watts RMS (mono) into 8 ohms
  • bridgeable high-current design handles unusual and reactive loads with ease
  • cutting-edge digital power supplies (one for each channel to eliminate crosstalk)
  • frequency response: 5-25,000 Hz (-3 dB)
  • signal-to-noise ratio: 102 dB (20-20,000 Hz)
  • total harmonic distortion: 0.2% (20-20,000 Hz)
  • three turn-on modes: music-sensing, voltage trigger, and manual
  • gold-plated binding posts spaced to accommodate dual banana plugs
  • 12-volt control output
  • voltage trigger input accepts 3-24V AC/DC
  • cascade audio outputs let you easily connect additional amplifiers to your system
  • independent right- and left-channel level controls for precise volume matching
  • fanless design with oversized heat sinks for cool, quiet operation
  • DC, short circuit, and overload protection with automatic reset
  • front-panel LEDs indicate Power, Active Status, and Protection Warning for easier troubleshooting
  • detachable AC power cord
  • rack mount ears included
  • weight: 10.7 lbs.
  • 17-1/4"W x 2-1/4"H (including feet) x 14-1/2"D
  • warranty: 2 years

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I see this description in the Niles catalog: "Digital, high current bridgeable stereo amplifier" so assume they mean class D. Looks to be their most powerful 2ch unit. Seems decent, what would you use it for?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
No specific plans, just thinking that it has the advantage of low power consumption of class D and the lightweight with no fan and is a nice slim unit so seems like it would be a good option (and may be the future of home audio) if it is a reasonable performer. The 4 ohms at 270 watts puts it in a class above AVR!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
No specific plans, just thinking that it has the advantage of low power consumption of class D and the lightweight with no fan and is a nice slim unit so seems like it would be a good option (and may be the future of home audio) if it is a reasonable performer. The 4 ohms at 270 watts puts it in a class above AVR!
Get one and ask Amir to review it! My Niles SI-275 got a great review. Just wish it had more power at 8ohms so I could power my LR speakers with it. Not that I couldn't, but it's doing a great job as an Atmos amp. It is not class D so that little guy is heavy.

Edit: got mine used. Now you can too!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283923875467

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Get one and ask Amir to review it!
I shipped it out last Wednesday!
Unfortunately his backlog is about 6 weeks (it was 4 weeks when I sent the Outlaw 2200 earlier this year).
I have the SI-275 (bought it from @Seth=L ) and it has always impressed me as a great, straight-forward amp (wish it had a bit more power, but it is rated down to 2.8 ohms, IIRC, so for what it is, it is stout).

I see this description in the Niles catalog: "Digital, high current bridgeable stereo amplifier" so assume they mean class D. Looks to be their most powerful 2ch unit. Seems decent, what would you use it for?
Could you find it on their website? That is a weird thing - I don't see it, but it is listed at several retailers, so I wonder if it is discontinued!

Even if it doesn't have the best measurements, I figure it is a good option for surround or atmos channels.

But all in all, the combo of low-profile, no fan noise issues (and it runs cool, IIRC - I should have hooked it up again before I sent it out just to remind myself), and low power consumption impress me as "the mainstream amp of the future" if it pulls off good measurements!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I saw it in a Niles webpage described as catalog I found with whatever particular search term I used.....which I thought was just make/model and manual....now I can't find it. I did notice that it didn't seem to be displayed along with some other amps when looking at something more straightforward on their site...

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Wish I had bought the 2150, it was only $10 more than my 2100, oh well live and learn I guess. 7 years ago I was new to this 'hobby' and thought the external amp has to match my AVR power. I used the 2100 to bi-amp front speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis