Thoughts on "Analogue Productions" ~ Chad Kassem

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
The claim is: All of the reissues from this label are mastered from the original analog tapes.

This would be amazing.

Reading about what happened to our music archives from Floyd Toole, one has to ask is it the original master tape or the one manipulated in order to sound good on vinyl?

I'm listening to Ella & Louis Again SACD. And it sounds so good that I'm thinking about recommending it under my "What is your favourite release?" thread.
upload_2017-9-1_11-37-14.jpeg

upload_2017-9-1_11-38-3.png

Here's the question - is it possible to know are these really original masters?

And what about this Hybrid SACD? How come regular CD players get to read it?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@killdozzer
I have 2 of their 180gram vinyls. The 45 reissue of Getz/Gilberto and the Louis and Ella.

The Getz/Gilberto is an amazing recording on vinyl! Just as good or better than the SACD version that I own.

The Louis/Ella is good, but just not as good as I had hoped for. Likely, that comment is more for the material rather than the sound quality (IMO).

Concerning a Hybrid SACD--That's exactly it, it has SACD encoding AND CD encoding on the same disk, so any CD player can read those CD encoded layers.

I have never tried to verify that they really went back to the original master tapes. But, as far as I can tell, I'm pretty sure these guys started this company as a passion project, so I have no reason to suspect their info that they provide.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
@killdozzer
The Louis/Ella is good, but just not as good as I had hoped for. Likely, that comment is more for the material rather than the sound quality (IMO).
Thanks, man! I'm particularly interested in SACD, not because of the content, but because of sound. When you say not as good, is that a comparison between vinyl and SACD.

How come there's room for both encodings? I feel I'm missing something.

Anyway, thank you. I'll probably list the title in my favourite releases.

P.S.: (you probably won't believe this, but I'm still trying to get the impedance spec for my Lenovo laptop to no avail. They must have one of the worst user services I came across. Over three months and nothing. For one spec...?)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks, man! I'm particularly interested in SACD, not because of the content, but because of sound. When you say not as good, is that a comparison between vinyl and SACD.

How come there's room for both encodings? I feel I'm missing something.

Anyway, thank you. I'll probably list the title in my favourite releases.

P.S.: (you probably won't believe this, but I'm still trying to get the impedance spec for my Lenovo laptop to no avail. They must have one of the worst user services I came across. Over three months and nothing. For one spec...?)
Concerning the Louis/Ella: I'm just saying that I had never heard that album before I bought it from AP on vinyl. Considering the pedigree of the artists, I expected to be blown away, but I was "meh". Not saying anything bad about the quality of the vinyl or recordings, just saying that I expected more out of a collab b/w 2 of my favs.

To be fair, I bought it right when it released, listened a couple times, then put it in my collection. Maybe I'll give it another listen this weekend. But, it's just that after a couple of listens, I decided that I should have spent that $50 for something else instead (but I didn't resell it either ;))

For Getz/Gilberto: One of my all time fav albums! I expected to be blown away by the SACD, but to my ears it just didn't sound any better than the CD. And, the AP 45rpm vinyl that I have is by far the best source of that material that I own (to my ears).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Getz/Gilberto recording itself I think is good on any medium.

I think the only way you'll know if its the actual master tape is if you're in on the deal between the original tape owner and the company buying access....and that could depend on the original tape owner.

Hybrid SACDs can not only include a redbook cd layer but both multi-ch and stereo DSD tracks....assume this is somewhat due multi-layers and/or due the bit depth difference as to what a normal cd has?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@killdozzer @lovinthehd

Wiki info clears up the hybrid technology. Pretty crafty!

Objective lenses in conventional CD players have a longer working distance, or focal length, than lenses designed for SACD players. This means that when a hybrid SACD is placed into a conventional CD player, the laser beam passes the high-resolution layer and is reflected by the conventional layer at the standard 1.2 mm distance, and the high-density layer is out of focus. When the disc is placed into an SACD player, the laser is reflected by the high-resolution layer (at 0.6 mm distance) before it can reach the conventional layer. Conversely, if a conventional CD is placed into an SACD player, the laser will read the disc as a CD since there is no high-resolution layer

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@killdozzer @lovinthehd

Wiki info clears up the hybrid technology. Pretty crafty!

Objective lenses in conventional CD players have a longer working distance, or focal length, than lenses designed for SACD players. This means that when a hybrid SACD is placed into a conventional CD player, the laser beam passes the high-resolution layer and is reflected by the conventional layer at the standard 1.2 mm distance, and the high-density layer is out of focus. When the disc is placed into an SACD player, the laser is reflected by the high-resolution layer (at 0.6 mm distance) before it can reach the conventional layer. Conversely, if a conventional CD is placed into an SACD player, the laser will read the disc as a CD since there is no high-resolution layer
That takes care of the reading part, but is the high resolution layer able to contain both 2ch and multich SACD due to the 1-bit depth and higher sampling frequency or ?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis