Those who stream live TV, what service are you using?

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
I'm mostly referring to US based AH'ers as each country has their own broadcasting setup. A couple of years ago I dropped DirecTV and went to their streaming service as I had high speed internet and it was a cheaper option. Only AT&T owns DirecTv, rebranded it to AT&T TV and kept raising the price. I realize channels cost money. So instead of offering a smaller package at a lower price, they just kept raising the price. Yes, they have added a few channels but the last 3 or 4 channels added are all shopping channels. Shopping channels on TV are a blight on humanity and should NEVER count towards a total channel lineup for any cable or streaming TV service.

(stepping down from my soapbox) Anyway, AT&T pays money to programmers to create the code for the apps that are used for streaming live TV. I assume the coders used are not US citizens and do not utilize live streaming TV because the app defies all logic for user interface. AT&T has been randomly updating the apps and it has steadily gotten worse. The last update for ROKU surprised me as I didn't expect it. Key changes are to change how to access the live TV programming guide. AT&T changed it from a simple down arrow button push to needing 3 button presses to get to the guide. Add in the guide is very slow with the latest update and the font is tiny even on a 60" TV. Previous versions allowed you to go up/down on channels by simply pressing the left/right arrow buttons. The latest AT&T Roku app eliminated this. Basically, they took he most basic laws of a product interfacing with a consumer and threw them out the window. So after 2 days with the crappy update, I cancelled the AT&T account.

So what are other using? I tried the Hulu app using the free trial and it's user interface was everything the AT&T app wasn't and it's less money. I looked at others but found their programming limited. So my question goes to what are others using? What's your experience with that service? I'm not set on Hulu, but it was that or YouTube TV and Hulu has lots of non-live streaming content.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Well, I use a combo of services. YouTube TV is fantastic, but pricey. Philo is awesome and cheap. I get ATT WatchTV free because of my phone plan and that includes HBO.

I also have Hulu, Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon Prime Video.

Suppose.tv is fantastic and will tell you what services offer what you want and what devices those services support.

Basically, you pick the channels you "must have" and then the device you plan to use the service on (Roku, AppleTV, Xbox, etc.) and it will filter the services and give a price for the package you'll have to get. It's pretty awesome how they set the site up.
2019-12-09 17_11_24-Suppose _ Compare Cable, Satellite & Streaming TV Services.png

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
So I know this answer doesn't directly address your question as I'm suggesting a different route if you can. I installed an antenna on the roof and pick up over the air (which is also free and usually not compressed!). I then use an HDHomerun to tune it and allow me to "stream" it is any TV in the house. I then use either the HDHomeRun and/or Plex app on my Nvidia Shields. I have this all run through my Plex Media Server on my QNAP NAS. This also allows me to record and pause live TV. Lastly this allows me to transfer TV shows to my tablet as a media file (since I recorded it from over the air) without commercials (I use MCEBuddy to strip them) and watch offline when I am traveling.

For streaming, I had Hulu for the past year (they had a Cyber Monday deal last year of $1/month for a year - I cancelled last week), Netflix, and Amazon Prime. While I have considered Disney+ not quite enough draw for me yet.

Good luck in your research.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
So I know this answer doesn't directly address your question as I'm suggesting a different route if you can. I installed an antenna on the roof and pick up over the air (which is also free and usually not compressed!). I then use an HDHomerun to tune it and allow me to "stream" it is any TV in the house. I then use either the HDHomeRun and/or Plex app on my Nvidia Shields. I have this all run through my Plex Media Server on my QNAP NAS. This also allows me to record and pause live TV. Lastly this allows me to transfer TV shows to my tablet as a media file (since I recorded it from over the air) without commercials (I use MCEBuddy to strip them) and watch offline when I am traveling.

For streaming, I had Hulu for the past year (they had a Cyber Monday deal last year of $1/month for a year - I cancelled last week), Netflix, and Amazon Prime. While I have considered Disney+ not quite enough draw for me yet.

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
I'm with @Bryce_H on this one. My setup is extremely similar to his. Start by researching available OTA content in your area (up to about 70 miles away) if you are interested.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Well, I use a combo of services. YouTube TV is fantastic, but pricey. Philo is awesome and cheap. I get ATT WatchTV free because of my phone plan and that includes HBO.

I also have Hulu, Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon Prime Video.

Suppose.tv is fantastic and will tell you what services offer what you want and what devices those services support.

Basically, you pick the channels you "must have" and then the device you plan to use the service on (Roku, AppleTV, Xbox, etc.) and it will filter the services and give a price for the package you'll have to get. It's pretty awesome how they set the site up.View attachment 32695
That's a great site! Better than the spreadsheet I built on Sunday night. I also use a mix but I'm still old enough to be inclined toward live TV. Actually, live TV is really only for NFL, some college football, and IndyCar racing. Otherwise, I'd be just going off-air with some streaming services like Disney+, Amazon Prime, and Hulu.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General

Thanks. I do use off-air as well. I upgraded that antennae last year as The DirecTV Now claimed to provide the local CBS channel but didn't and they are the ones that carry Wheel of Fortune which the wife is addicted to. We have been watching less and less of cable channels as they have gone to more "reality" style programs. You can only watch so much of American Pickers or Curse of Oak Island. Really? History Channel has gone to Bigfoot Captured as a program. Nope. So I'll be monitoring our usage and may change my packages to a lower provider or just drop it altogether in favor of plain streaming of content. Maybe do something like you guys have for recording off-air.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
[get on soap box]

Keep in mind that cutting the cord is supposed to save you money...which means you will need to give some stuff up. If you try to recreate cable or satellite service offerings (Hulu plus live TV, ESPN+, NFL, Amazon, Netflix, Disney+, AppleTV, HBO MAX, etc.) you can actually end up with a more expensive (and infinitely more complicated) situation. Over 7 years ago, I created a spreadsheet of shows we actually cared about then where I could get them (OTA, Hulu, or purchasing seasons of shows through Itunes (since dropped) or Amazon). We buy seasons of Walking Dead, but we don't miss the cost or the ton of "stuff" we were paying for and not watching with satellite.

[get off soap box]

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
[get on soap box]

Keep in mind that cutting the cord is supposed to save you money...which means you will need to give some stuff up. If you try to recreate cable or satellite service offerings (Hulu plus live TV, ESPN+, NFL, Amazon, Netflix, Disney+, AppleTV, HBO MAX, etc.) you can actually end up with a more expensive (and infinitely more complicated) situation. Over 7 years ago, I created a spreadsheet of shows we actually cared about then where I could get them (OTA, Hulu, or purchasing seasons of shows through Itunes (since dropped) or Amazon). We buy seasons of Walking Dead, but we don't miss the cost or the ton of "stuff" we were paying for and not watching with satellite.

[get off soap box]
When it started it would save people money, but (as you stated) now that everyone and their mom has a streaming service, you're just buying the individual channels you want and that could prove more expensive. Or, if you have limited things you watch, it could save you a ton.

Sports are what makes a lot of the services expensive.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I stopped watching linear TV (ie. tv channels) more than a few years ago. Primary reasons are ads and I don't care about sports.
It's 100% streaming for me. Kids use Youtube (mostly) and PBS.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I gave up watching broadcast channels years ago after getting disgusted with the programming. That aside, I have YouTube TV. It works great and provides news and sports, but I'm not that big a sports fan that I'll stay with them when they increase prices again in a year or two. On average compensation for local channels add up to about $15/mo and ESPN reportedly add about another $8-10 to cable and streaming bills, plus whatever Fox and CNN are charging the service. If you can do without those then Philo is only about $20/mo. Philo plus an antenna may be enough to suit your needs.

Last edited:
Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Sports definitely are the tricky piece and but I have found more on network TV in recent years (and you can stream Thursday Night Football through Amazon Prime)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I gave up watching broadcast channels years ago after getting discussed with the programming. That aside, I have YouTube TV. It works great and provides news and sports, but I'm not that big a sports fan that I'll stay with them when they increase prices again in a year or two. On average compensation for local channels add up to about $15/mo and ESPN reportedly add about another $8-10 to cable and streaming bills, plus whatever Fox and CNN are charging the service. If you can do without those then Philo is only about $20/mo. Philo plus an antenna may be enough to suit your needs.
Yeah, Philo is great. Been using it about a year. Can't beat the price for what you get. I got lucky enough to get the $16/mo deal.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis