lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wow someone actually qualified somewhat for their position in this administration? Wow.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow someone actually qualified somewhat for their position in this administration? Wow.
And willing to roll his sleeves up and fly the damned thing himself before giving it his stamp of approval? Wow. Wow. That's a double wow.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I always liked the Russian approach to bridge design.
The engineer that designed the bridge has to stand directly under the most likely failure point while the dump trucks full of rock drive on to load test the bridge (at 200% of maximum design load if it were the USA, I don't know what factor of safety the Russians use).

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The engineer that designed the bridge has to stand directly under the most likely failure point while the dump trucks full of rock drive on to load test the bridge (at 200% of maximum design load if it were the USA, I don't know what factor of safety the Russians use).
If they designed their bridges the same way they designed their women.......:) (insert rim shot here)

I'm sure some of the designers asked "What's the worst that could happen?".

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
One thought though. So, he flies, nothing happens, is it fixed? Before the grounding many flights didn't have an issue.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One thought though. So, he flies, nothing happens, is it fixed? Before the grounding many flights didn't have an issue.
Only as good as the training of pilots at his level I suppose....seems one complaint has been lack of properly trained pilots for this aircraft?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I doubt he's that stupid. The flight would be useless unless he engages MCAS.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
If they designed their bridges the same way they designed their women.......:) (insert rim shot here)

I'm sure some of the designers asked "What's the worst that could happen?".
You mean, like the Russian spy Anna Chapman that was expelled from USA o_O

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have a friend that used to pack parachutes in the military. Every one he packed gets a little slip of paper inserted with his name on it. Every so often they come around and randomly choose a parachute that was packed by him, hand it to him, and take him up to jump with it!

Talk about quality control and incentive to get every pack perfect!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I have a friend that used to pack parachutes in the military. Every one he packed gets a little slip of paper inserted with his name on it. Every so often they come around and randomly choose a parachute that was packed by him, hand it to him, and take him up to jump with it!

Talk about quality control and incentive to get every pack perfect!
Many years ago I read an article that Russian/Soviet jet fighters had an an air intake that was up (to avoid sucking debris into the engines) while the US ones had the opposite. What stuck to my mind was a picture of an US hangar ship where service men/women walked the length of the ship to pick up debris.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Many years ago I read an article that Russian/Soviet jet fighters had an an air intake that was up (to avoid sucking debris into the engines) while the US ones had the opposite. What stuck to my mind was a picture of an US hangar ship where service men/women walked the length of the ship to pick up debris.
It wouldn't really matter where engine air intakes were positioned on an aircraft - they would still do sweeps for Foreign Object Debris (FOD). While the likelihood of ingesting FOD may be low, the consequences would be sufficiently severe to justify the practice.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
This is a very cool headline that the FAA Administrator himself will fly the air plane before it is re-certified, but I sincerely hope that this is just a stunt and not actually a part of the re-certification.
If he won't sign off on the certification until he's happy with it as a pilot, then his flight is definitely part of the process. Since the rest of the process must complete successfully, what could be wrong with this?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
If he won't sign off on the certification until he's happy with it as a pilot, then his flight is definitely part of the process. Since the rest of the process must complete successfully, what could be wrong with this?
Exactly. If a pilot isn't comfortable with the plane they're given, they won't fly it. Safety is the #1 priority.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Only as good as the training of pilots at his level I suppose....seems one complaint has been lack of properly trained pilots for this aircraft?
Actually, a recent test drive in a car with "active lane keeping assist" gave me a small taste of what the 737 MAX pilots felt with MCAS. The active steering assist literally takes control of steering wheel from you, and it can be quite surprising. And this was in a test drive where I was purposely trying to get the assist to activate so I could feel what it was like. And it was merely a side-to-side steering motion, not in a plane where the software makes the plane's nose dive and it is non-obvious how to stop it. Personally, based on my experience, I won't own a car where an active steering assist can't be disengaged. I think if it engages and you're not ready for it and practiced in its operation these features are dangerous. This isn't like antilock brakes; this is you're not control of the vehicle. Screw that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis