Thinking of trying Ascend speakers

D

DanH12

Junior Audioholic
I was thinking of getting either the Ascend 170se or 340se speakers mostly for home theater use. Can anyone who owns these speakers describe to me how they sound (i.e. bright, etc.). I know they are designed to be very accurate but does that mean they have more of a flat or neutral sound? I know B & W speakers are also designed for accuracy and after auditioning the 685 bookshelf speakers I didn't really like their sound. They sounded to dull or flat to me. Would the Ascend speakers sound similar to the B & W speakers? I also auditioned the KEF q300 bookshelf speakers and a pair of paradigm bookshelf speakers in the same room and I liked their sound better. They didn't sound as flat and had more punch in the higher frequencies and I liked that. I don't like overly bright speakers but I do like a little more punch in the higher end. Based on this should I still give the Ascends a try? Would the Ascends be a better value than the KEF q300 ($600/pair) or paradigm speakers in that price range?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I have never heard anyone not like the ascends, but I own almost every speaker they make {except the sierra towers} and I have to say all are impressive...

They are very warm, with natural sounding highs. Its a realistic sound, so if what you are listening to has loud highs, the highs will be loud {or if you EQ it that way}...

I have 3 340s for my front stage and I tried so many different sets some that were multiple times the cost... I have a 340 center for sale if you are interested... $200 shipped...

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Based on this should I still give the Ascends a try?
IMO, the only way to know if Ascends are the speakers for you (or Paradigms or B&Ws, et al) are to give them a try, ideally in your room, given how much impact the room and setup have on the final sound.

OTOH, I can understand that you may not want to have to buy a set of speakers in order to at least give them some sort of audition. To that end, I'd recommend hitting the Ascend forum and seeing if anyone that lives near you would give you an audition.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I was thinking of getting either the Ascend 170se or 340se speakers mostly for home theater use. Can anyone who owns these speakers describe to me how they sound (i.e. bright, etc.). I know they are designed to be very accurate but does that mean they have more of a flat or neutral sound? I know B & W speakers are also designed for accuracy and after auditioning the 685 bookshelf speakers I didn't really like their sound. They sounded to dull or flat to me. Would the Ascend speakers sound similar to the B & W speakers? I also auditioned the KEF q300 bookshelf speakers and a pair of paradigm bookshelf speakers in the same room and I liked their sound better. They didn't sound as flat and had more punch in the higher frequencies and I liked that. I don't like overly bright speakers but I do like a little more punch in the higher end. Based on this should I still give the Ascends a try? Would the Ascends be a better value than the KEF q300 ($600/pair) or paradigm speakers in that price range?
I own the 340se's & 170se's. If you like Paradigm I would order a pair and do an in home trial. I was going to get Studio 20's (at $600 you are surely looking at the monitor series)and then decided to take a chance on Ascend. IMO They are different from the Studio series in two ways. (all from memory...I never had them side by side) The highs are a little less crisp and they don't have as much bass. The Paradigm's have a slight hump in the bass and have a metal tweeter. So I think the Ascends are more accurate with a slightly more forward midrange and the Digm's have a little more boom/sizzle. Both very nice speakers IMO.

I Auditioned the 600 series B&W's in a bad room so I really can't comment too much but they sounded OK. Definatly more laid back. I have not auditioned the KEF Q300 but I have heard the IQ5's and liked them but there presentation was just different...I'd like to own a Kef product some day.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I would say they compare well to the Paradigms, but they are not better than the Studios IMHO. The midrange is smoother and the highs, as mentioned, are not as bright, but they are still slightly brighter than neutral (they are NOT warm by my definition). I consider them to be relatively flat sounding in a good way - they seem to perform well with most anything. Where the Studios are better is they seem like they will take a lot more power and maintain composure, and the "humps" in response add a little more dynamic sound to them, however I found the tweeters on the Studios fatiguing after a while.

So, yes, I'd say they are definitely worth a shot. 340s over 170s for mains, however I agree with Steve - maybe try a pair of 170s, since you can return them, and see if you like them.

Last edited:
F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Give the Ascends a try. Go for the CBM-170SE if you're 12 feet or closer. Go for the CMT-340SE if you're at 12 feet or farther.

If you don't like them, then you either don't like the recording you're listening to, or you don't like your room's acoustics!

Ascend's speakers are VERY neutral and accurate. What you will hear is what's on the recording. Simple as that. If you want to adjust the sound to your taste, the speakers will react predictably and reliably to equalization. That's the wonderful thing about transparent speakers!

I'm not sure where you got the idea that B&W speakers are voiced for accuracy. They're not. They are the epitome of the "British Sound", which focuses on vocal clarity above all else, and was basically born out of the AM radio days, when speakers had to compensate for the crappy signal quality.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know B & W speakers are also designed for accuracy...
If accuracy is represented by a flat frequency response, usually less than +/- 3dB from 200Hz-10kHz, most B&W speakers would not quite qualify as "accurate". :D

At the same time, they are not as bad as some speakers that have FR of +/- 6dB to +/- 10dB. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If accuracy is represented by a flat frequency response, usually less than +/- 3dB from 200Hz-10kHz, most B&W speakers would not quite qualify as "accurate". :D

At the same time, they are not as bad as some speakers that have FR of +/- 6dB to +/- 10dB. :D
I've said it plenty of times, measurements don't tell you how a speaker sounds :) Something that isn't ruler flat can still sound good to plenty of people.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've said it plenty of times, measurements don't tell you how a speaker sounds :) Something that isn't ruler flat can still sound good to plenty of people.
I agree. Speakers can sound great regardless.

I was just attempting to address the definition of "accurate". :D

Do we buy "accurate" or do we buy "great sound", which is very subjective? :D

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I agree. Speakers can sound great regardless.

I was just attempting to address the definition of "accurate". :D

Do we buy "accurate" or do we buy "great sound", which is very subjective? :D
We buy accurate.

Great sound is the music itself. Great sound can be enjoyed even on laptop speakers, although you might cringe sometimes.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I know B & W speakers are also designed for accuracy and after auditioning the 685 bookshelf speakers I didn't really like their sound. They sounded to dull or flat to me. Would the Ascend speakers sound similar to the B & W speakers? I also auditioned the KEF q300 bookshelf speakers and a pair of paradigm bookshelf speakers in the same room and I liked their sound better. They didn't sound as flat and had more punch in the higher frequencies and I liked that. I don't like overly bright speakers but I do like a little more punch in the higher end. Based on this should I still give the Ascends a try? Would the Ascends be a better value than the KEF q300 ($600/pair) or paradigm speakers in that price range?
I like speakers with good resolution, and speakers that do not
distract me, when I am listening. I want speakers where I can
be drawn into the source - and away from the speakers and the
so-call thought of measurements. I do not want measurements
on my mind when I am listening. If something is really wrong
with the speaker, then it will annoy me.

Ascend is a good option to check out >> and there will be no
guarantees that it is the all in all for you. Some people would
be surprised to know - that some have chosen the Cambridge
S30 bookshelf speaker, over the Ascend 170. It comes down to
you and your preference and taste. Check the Ascend out.

Just for some info - the Q300 measurements
KEF Q300 Bookshelf Speakers - Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Also look into the Focal 706 speakers and the Boston A26

Good luck and enjoy the adventure.

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I own almost their entire line {no sierra towers} but sierra books, 170's, 200's, and 340's... And I have to say, if you dont like how they represent music, you dont like the music.. They sound how the music sounds, kind of like NO attitude of their own....

I try to buy other brands but their is nothing I like better... I do like my Wharfedale 2.2 setup, but it was affordable and looks great, I was going to go with sierra towers but my entire system cost less than a pair of them towers, soooo...

I will hear a set of speakers and either like them or not within minutes... I heard the E55ti and before the song {Bruces candy's room} was 40 seconds in I new I would never own them speakers, I dont know what was missing or what, but it didnt sound good to me, it may not have helped it being a song I know in and out, but that is what you want to do, play a song you really know and make a decision, if you hear new stuff that impresses you with clearity and resolution then you may have a keeper, if there is something missing and its not how you remember hearing it, then pass... If the highs are too forward and the lows are too laid back then pass...

I heard the tekton lores and Knew rite away they were special, I always audition Bruce {I have seen him live 17 times and heard him played on everything from ipod intergrated speakers to d7000 headphones {they were impressive, but out of my price range}, and when I played him through the tektons, it reminded me of every concert I ever went to, this may because of the Eminence's pro audio lineage or the full range foundation but it was great and I had to have them... Now they are rite by my bed, and get their share of use....

Just look listen and buy something you will enjoy...

Im listening to my 2.2 rite now, my wife is sitting next to me with her ipod in , and Pink is playing through shuffle, I wouldnt change the sound 1 bit.... The only change I made to this system was a set of custom made 100hz high pass xlr xovers from Stan. And that just cleaned up the low end when playing extra loud, it free'd up power for the mids and highs, while letting the subs do their thing with no interference from the 6.5" woofers...

Anyway, give the ascends a try, Deena over there is a peach, she will be a huge help and nice as pie... They make a great product for a great price...

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I was thinking of getting either the Ascend 170se or 340se speakers mostly for home theater use. Can anyone who owns these speakers describe to me how they sound (i.e. bright, etc.). I know they are designed to be very accurate but does that mean they have more of a flat or neutral sound? I know B & W speakers are also designed for accuracy and after auditioning the 685 bookshelf speakers I didn't really like their sound.
I've listened to the previous gen of 6xx from BW, as well as Ascends including 170s. I take the latter without blinking an eye.

IMO, the Ascends aren't the prettiest thing to look at though. Which is totally fine if you'd prefer the money go towards the performance more so than the finish. But then, I don't think the 6xx series I saw were all that good looking either.

IMO, can't go wrong with Ascends. However, I'm so curious to listen to some of the budget Pioneers by A.J. that everyone raves about. From the pics, they don't look great either, but it would be interesting to listen to a pair.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if some of these very affordable flat pack kits sounded better than the 6xx that I heard. (My main complaint would be that they were "veiled"; not nearly as clear in the midrange as Ascend.) Anyway, I link the below because I like the idea of flat pack kits (my subwoofer was such a kit).

Speaker Kits DIY Sound Group

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I've listened to the previous gen of 6xx from BW, as well as Ascends including 170s. I take the latter without blinking an eye.

IMO, the Ascends aren't the prettiest thing to look at though. Which is totally fine if you'd prefer the money go towards the performance more so than the finish. But then, I don't think the 6xx series I saw were all that good looking either.

IMO, can't go wrong with Ascends. However, I'm so curious to listen to some of the budget Pioneers by A.J. that everyone raves about. From the pics, they don't look great either, but it would be interesting to listen to a pair.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if some of these very affordable flat pack kits sounded better than the 6xx that I heard. (My main complaint would be that they were "veiled"; not nearly as clear in the midrange as Ascend.) Anyway, I link the below because I like the idea of flat pack kits (my subwoofer was such a kit).

Speaker Kits DIY Sound Group
Nice to see you posting again...Jostenmeat...speaking of AJ ..I know of one comparison with another AJ... his SAM vs. 340 SE and the Ascends were preferred...others just rave about them(SAM's)....just goes to show you have to listen for yourself....in doing so at home is the best way to go about it...IMO.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis