thinking it's time for an LCR upgrade

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
So I thought where better to get ideas than from you all!

While I'm generally happy with my Boston's, they are getting a bit on the older side, and I'd like a bit more mid bass punch than they seem to offer. I'm not in any rush to upgrade them, but I'm curious to know what's out there that you'd recommend. My requirements and budget are:

1) 3-way preferred (required for center)
2) at least 6 1/2" cones for the bass section on the towers
3) would like to keep it around $2000 or less for all three
4) prefer standard sideways center channel as opposed to using a bookshelf model
5) Tower speakers for L and R channels
6) Matte finishes preferred

I know there have been some good sales on Infinity towers recently, but I'm not sure if they'd be an upgrade over my current Bostons or just a sidestep. Hard to really know as I can't find any frequency response graphs for the Bostons due to their age.

Edited to add 5 and 6.

Last edited:
R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Emotiva T2’s + C2 Center.

I’m not sure if they are still being sold retail so check through Craigslist and Classifieds section for them.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
KEF Q650c center speaker is a real sweet one because of its Uni-Q coincident driver. No chance of lobing issues, and got the 6-1/2" LF driver in a non-ported (acoustic bass resonator) cabinet. Mate it with a pair of Q350 's, and pair all with a good sub. Incredibly good.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/kefq600cbla/kef-q600c-6.5-3-way-center-channel-speaker-black/1.html

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/kefq350blk/kef-q350-6.5-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-black-pair/1.html

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I was actually looking at the KEF's, I should have mentioned that I'm looking for towers, not bookshelfs.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I was looking at the specs on the KEF center channels and it seems like they have one active bass woofer, and the other is a passive radiator for it? It seems like that would lead to weird horizontal dispersion patterns for anything in that range, no?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Though it may push a little higher... I really dug the Monitor Audio Silver series. 500 over the 300, but both rocked hard and handled anything I gave them.

And though I personally had issues, I will always give credit where its due, the KEF Q 750 or 950... listened to the 950. Impressive. My ears were sensitive to the Mids/highs, or some interaction with the room... but before the fatigue set in for me, I was impressed!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
One thing I would consider at this point, is waiting and keeping an eye out for Black Friday sales.
It wouldn't surprise me if A4L doesn't have something like the Focal Aria 926's, KEF R700's, or Canton Vento 876's (with matching center) discounted into your price range. (Note that pricing on Focal towers are for a pair while the KEF and Canton are for each).
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/spkfloor/speakers/floor-standing-speakers/1.html?brand_f[]=CANTON&brand_f[]=KEF&brand_f[]=FOCAL
Same is a possibility for the Monitor Audio (not at A4L).
I suspect the price on the Polk won't drop much, if any, that is already a deep discount!

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
One thing I would consider at this point, is waiting and keeping an eye out for Black Friday sales.
It wouldn't surprise me if A4L doesn't have something like the Focal Aria 926's, KEF R700's, or Canton Vento 876's (with matching center) discounted into your price range. (Note that pricing on Focal towers are for a pair while the KEF and Canton are for each).
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/spkfloor/speakers/floor-standing-speakers/1.html?brand_f[]=CANTON&brand_f[]=KEF&brand_f[]=FOCAL
Same is a possibility for the Monitor Audio (not at A4L).
I suspect the price on the Polk won't drop much, if any, that is already a deep discount!
Those Focal Arias are beautiful for sure, but the respective center channel is a 2-way design of which I'm a bit leery.

I found a nearby shop that carries Focal, KEF, and Paradigm, so I think a trip out there will be in order to give some of these speakers a listen. A little further away is ABT electronics where I can go listen to some Polk, SVS, and Klipsch speakers as well.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Now if only I could listen to those new Monoprice Monolith towers somewhere! lol

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Those Focal Arias are beautiful for sure, but the respective center channel is a 2-way design of which I'm a bit leery.

I found a nearby shop that carries Focal, KEF, and Paradigm, so I think a trip out there will be in order to give some of these speakers a listen. A little further away is ABT electronics where I can go listen to some Polk, SVS, and Klipsch speakers as well.
Sounds like a good plan. Exposure to as many speakers in your price bracket as possible is a good thing and hopefully come late November, you'll be ready to jump on a killer deal should one come through, or you might fall in love with the Polks! I have read plenty of good things about them
If the Klipsch's do the trick for you, you should generally be able to get about 30% discount on them!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I was looking at the specs on the KEF center channels and it seems like they have one active bass woofer, and the other is a passive radiator for it? It seems like that would lead to weird horizontal dispersion patterns for anything in that range, no?
It certainly wouldn't be any weirder than normal MTMs.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai

Seeing and hearing them in-person is great, and a REALLY good shop will let you take home a pair to try in your own room with your own setup.

BTW, look for the newer KEF Q series in the just-released "walnut" finish. What a striking contrast. They sound quite good too. ;)

Attachments

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Love my SVS Ultra towers...
He also wants the matching center (specified not bookshelf) for $2000.
Do you know what bstock ultra towers run? I still don't think he can get there for $2000! Dedicated centers are pricey!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
He also wants the matching center (specified not bookshelf) for $2000.
Do you know what bstock ultra towers run? I still don't think he can get there for $2000! Dedicated centers are pricey!
Oof. Yup, the center bumps that up over budget. Outlet pricing can get close, but there's nothing in there right at the moment.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Certainly if willing to pay $2000, someone here will convince you to go a little higher? Some enablers here. LOL :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis