Thinking about upgrading my sub.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Hi Folks,

I am thinking about a new sub, and I had a few questions. Looking at 2 models from HSU: The VTF-2 Mk2 and the VTF-3 Mk4. My questions are: Is there any difference in sound between a down firing sub and a side firing sub? And second, will a down firing sub cause more noise for the people on the floor below me? Sorry if these are dumb questions. I don't know too much about subs.

Thanks,

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
There won't be any real difference in sound between down-firing and side-firing, nor will it make a difference to your neighbors where ever they are with respect to you. They will hear the bass if the walls are not real thick. Bass can only be hindered by very thick and dense barriers. I love the VTF3, however you may not be able to use all that power- at least if you are intent on being a considerate neighbor. The Hsu subs may be a good choice because you can adjust them to minimize the deep bass and put more emphasis on the mid and upper bass, which means less bass frequencies which can leak into your neighbors' home.

One thing you should think about doing, if you are able, is using the subwoofer in a near-field placement. This is where you place the subwoofer in a location very close to the listening position, like right next to your seat as an endtable or perhaps right behind the seat. This way the sub doesn't have to play as loud for you to get a nice bass sound at your seat. This will be doing a favor to your neighbors and also a favor to yourself. Another advantage of this placement is since the sub doesn't have to work as hard, it will produce less distortion and give you cleaner bass. Also, as a corollary, it will last longer since it does not undergo as much mechanical exertion or generate as much heat. I use VTF3s as endtables with the drivers blasting right into the seat, and that gives a punchier sensation as well, as opposed to a more distant placement.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
There won't be any real difference in sound between down-firing and side-firing, nor will it make a difference to your neighbors where ever they are with respect to you. They will hear the bass if the walls are not real thick. Bass can only be hindered by very thick and dense barriers. I love the VTF3, however you may not be able to use all that power- at least if you are intent on being a considerate neighbor. The Hsu subs may be a good choice because you can adjust them to minimize the deep bass and put more emphasis on the mid and upper bass, which means less bass frequencies which can leak into your neighbors' home.

One thing you should think about doing, if you are able, is using the subwoofer in a near-field placement. This is where you place the subwoofer in a location very close to the listening position, like right next to your seat as an endtable or perhaps right behind the seat. This way the sub doesn't have to play as loud for you to get a nice bass sound at your seat. This will be doing a favor to your neighbors and also a favor to yourself. Another advantage of this placement is since the sub doesn't have to work as hard, it will produce less distortion and give you cleaner bass. Also, as a corollary, it will last longer since it does not undergo as much mechanical exertion or generate as much heat. I use VTF3s as endtables with the drivers blasting right into the seat, and that gives a punchier sensation as well, as opposed to a more distant placement.
Thanks Shady.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I have heard both and own the vtf2, its going to depend on room size, but I prefer the vtf2 in my room, PLUS if you have neighbors down stairs, you may want to go smaller than larger, for your neighbor relation situation, lol...

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I have heard both and own the vtf2, its going to depend on room size, but I prefer the vtf2 in my room, PLUS if you have neighbors down stairs, you may want to go smaller than larger, for your neighbor relation situation, lol...
Yes, I'm thinking your probably right. Since you both own HSU subs does the Q control really help tighten up the bass? I like a tighter sounding low end rather then, room shaking or boomy.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, I'm thinking your probably right. Since you both own HSU subs does the Q control really help tighten up the bass? I like a tighter sounding low end rather then, room shaking or boomy.
I used to own the Outlaw LFM-1 EX, which is basically a HSU VTF 2 or 3 mark 3 I believe. The variable Q does add bass extension, but the driver and sub stayed pretty tightly controlled when configured either way. Although it definitely went louder with both ports open.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Another great option to consider is the Rythmik LV12R at $589. Although ported HSU subs are quite musical, I feel Rythmik outdoes them generally speaking. You could also consider a sealed sub instead of ported like the SVS SB12-NSD. How large a space you trying to fill?

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Another great option to consider is the Rythmik LV12R at $589. Although ported HSU subs are quite musical, I feel Rythmik outdoes them generally speaking. You could also consider a sealed sub instead of ported like the SVS SB12-NSD. How large a space you trying to fill?
It's a weird room. It's approx 15' by 19', but only half of the room is the primary viewing area. Can't you plug both ports in the HSU subs? I will definitely look at the Rythmik sub though.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
From what I understand, bass traps affect frequencies above the frequency range which subwoofers deal with. Another thing, subwoofer isolation pads have never been demonstrated to work in a measurable sense. No testing that I know of have ever demonstrated their usefulness. Some skepticism would be warranted in approaching these treatments. I would think subwoofer placement is going to have a far greater effect on the sound character of the bass than any treatments.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis