Thinking about replacing my Klipsch RF5/RC3 3.1 setup with JBL 580/520

gsgleason

gsgleason

Audiophyte
So I actually have two pairs of Klipsch RF-5s. I figured that was silly. I decided to try something else in the basement where my turntable setup is and ended up with the JBL studio 570 mini towers. They sound really good. The bass is a little boomy compared to the klipsch, but the mid-highs just sparkle by comparison. Female vocals especially really sound great on the JBLs. When I was A/B testing them, the Klipsch made Norah Jones sound like she was wearing a mask by comparison.

Now that the 580 and 520 is on sale I'm seriously considering replacing my living room setup with those instead of the RF5/RC3.

So, I'm just looking for thoughts and opinions.

I know I can just buy them and return them since JBL has free shipping both ways, but that's a lot of stuff to move and unpack, so I wanted some opinions first.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd just go for the 590s at the current sales price. The 520 I have but have replaced in my 590/580/530 system with an Infinity 3-way (RC263). I'm still using the 520 but in a different system.

Boomy bass could be for a few reasons, what sub are you using and how did you choose placement, how did you integrate, etc.

gsgleason

gsgleason

Audiophyte
I'd just go for the 590s at the current sales price. The 520 I have but have replaced in my 590/580/530 system with an Infinity 3-way (RC263). I'm still using the 520 but in a different system.

Boomy bass could be for a few reasons, what sub are you using and how did you choose placement, how did you integrate, etc.
The 590 is too big for my space physically. The 580 is only a little wider than the RF5 so I can make it work. I agree that I'd rather have the 590 but they're just too tall for my space.

For the basement setup I have the 570s in the corners toed in with about 18 inches between the rear and the corner. No sub. It's strictly a 2.0 setup for music only with a Yamaha AS701.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The 590 is too big for my space physically. The 580 is only a little wider than the RF5 so I can make it work. I agree that I'd rather have the 590 but they're just too tall for my space.

For the basement setup I have the 570s in the corners toed in with about 18 inches between the rear and the corner. No sub. It's strictly a 2.0 setup for music only with a Yamaha AS701.
Could well be the corner placement making it a bit boomy....and I'd still use subs with any of them. Curious, how does 7.5" taller make it too tall for a space? They are a bit bigger in all dimensions, tho.

gsgleason

gsgleason

Audiophyte
Could well be the corner placement making it a bit boomy....and I'd still use subs with any of them. Curious, how does 7.5" taller make it too tall for a space? They are a bit bigger in all dimensions, tho.
Too tall and wide. The speaker would obstruct the screen for wide angle viewers.

Anyway, the question is whether it would be an upgrade over the klipsch setup.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Too tall and wide. The speaker would obstruct the screen for wide angle viewers.

Anyway, the question is whether it would be an upgrade over the klipsch setup.
Not a particular Klipsch fan, but have other JBLs....couldn't tell you what you might prefer. Based on your comments seems JBL is the way to go, tho.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General

How far out from the wall to begin with? I have 590’s, but my speaker on the open side of the room is 14” off the wall before I tie it in, the speaker in the corner is 17” off the back wall and 20” off the side wall. They breathe and the bass is smooth, I also have help….I don’t know if you have the space, but try pulling them out of the corner.

Hope this helps, if not, take comfort in the fact that you have an AS701 to run those puppies!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

One of the reasons for boomy bass also is that the level on the sub is too high compared to the other speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One of the reasons for boomy bass also is that the level on the sub is too high compared to the other speakers.
He doesn't apparently use a sub in that particular setup, tho. Poorly setup subs can be an issue, tho.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I recently in the last 3-4 months replaced RSL speakers with JBL 570/530/520 and could not be happier. I actually like the 520C but some do not. This line on sale is just about the best value in home theater speakers.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

gsgleason

gsgleason

Audiophyte
Just an update. The 580s finally came.

There is no contest. They sound so much better.

Also, now that I've been listening to the 570s in my 2.0 setup, when I A/B them against the RF5, the RF5 are just missing so much. It's crazy.

M

mlb585

Audiophyte
gsgleason, would be willing to sell your Klipsch RF-5’s?….been wanting a set for a while now. Please let me know, thanks!

gsgleason

gsgleason

Audiophyte
gsgleason, would be willing to sell your Klipsch RF-5’s?….been wanting a set for a while now. Please let me know, thanks!
They're already up for sale in my local classified sites (CL, ND, FB).

J

jlm86

Audioholic Intern
i been using 530/520 with HSU VTF15 sub
Denon x3600

Thinking of pulling trigger for 580s esp with sale price..
Thoughts ?
I still love the 530's man, they are great

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis