Things are out of hand.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I know this may be old news, but things are out of hand in the home audio industry.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=110-439

What kind of times are at hand when someone would pay $150 for a DUPLEX RECEPTACLE?! AND $100 for a POWER CORD TERMINATION!! I don't care WHAT kind of quality Wattgate puts into their products, they SURE as HECK aren't worth that kind of money. I know, I know, I don't have to buy it, but my gosh. Can't people see the light?!

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Certain sectors of the audio industry have simply discovered a fundamental truth: there are a lot of people with more money than brains!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Rip Van Woofer said:
Certain sectors of the audio industry have simply discovered a fundamental truth: there are a lot of people with more money than brains!
Or as H.L. Mencken put it:
No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public :rolleyes:

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I prefer to say that the expression "A fool and his money are soon parted" is more true in the audio world than anywhere else.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Swerd said:
Or as H.L. Mencken put it:
No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public :rolleyes:
Not even DIVX?

:D

-Chris

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Dan said:
I prefer to say that the expression "A fool and his money are soon parted" is more true in the audio world than anywhere else.

Well, I don't know about that :D

How about all those folks who keep calling Larry King when Sylvia Brown, et al are on? All those who buy the homeopathic medicines? Oh, Theraputic touch? I had the occasion to attend an opening for a small medical clinic where they had several of them demonstrating their practice and a doctor tried to tell me that the drug company conspiracy is preventing this from becoming main stream. What??? :eek:

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
So in other words those who take Homeopathic or even natural medicines are fools parting out their money and those who go to quacks of modern medicines are the smart ones, well the very same quacks of so-called modern medicine ( read thievery and highway robbery) have the survival down to a thing that rivals La Cosa Nostra, not only they get to exploit one's sentiment at a delicate time but are capable of hoodwinking with fancy gadgets which are worthless except for the gullible.

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
I had the occasion to attend an opening for a small medical clinic where they had several of them demonstrating their practice and a doctor tried to tell me that the drug company conspiracy is preventing this from becoming main stream. What??? :eek:
Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you. ;)

I used to work in the drug industry. They are indeed trying to stop homeopathic cures... they are considered competition.

I could tell you lots of horror stories about drug companies manipulating the consumer, but you have probably already heard them and this isn't the correct forum.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
:rolleyes: Sorry, but most homeopathic medicines, psychics, faith healers and peddlers of more traditional snake oil do not generally get people to fork over as much as those who pay $300/foot of speaker wire. I admit there are exceptions for the exceptionally gullible. As for homepathic medicines and other "nontraditional cures" I would like to see some of them actually pass a controlled level three FDA evaluation. While a few might, the overwhelming majority couldn't and don't dare try. As for Chinese medicine and the lot, many of their medicines are derived from endangered species and other animals whose death provide no medical or nutritional benfit e.g. bear gallbladder, rhino horns etc. Curiously many of the proponents of eastern medicine are vegetarians!

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
jaxvon said:
I know this may be old news, but things are out of hand in the home audio industry.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=110-439

What kind of times are at hand when someone would pay $150 for a DUPLEX RECEPTACLE?! AND $100 for a POWER CORD TERMINATION!! I don't care WHAT kind of quality Wattgate puts into their products, they SURE as HECK aren't worth that kind of money. I know, I know, I don't have to buy it, but my gosh. Can't people see the light?!
It almost makes sense for audio components and wiring connectors to have gold-plated contacts. They get unplugged maybe once a year against contacts with properties very similar to their own. For a plug receptacle, on the other hand, gold plating is simply far to soft to last against the plug and unplug life !!

I'm also mentally picturing a "true audiophile" with a "special" L-shaped prong on his "special, matching" power lead, which also has gold-plated contacts, who has clipped his equipment power cords about two feet up the wall and connected to the "special" lead using automobile-grade 14 gage aluminum splices.

And you can't even use gold to do anything about the werewolv..(oh, I've been told not to go there anymore, sorry)

It scares me less that you found such an item existing than where you found it. Looks like our Brother JohnA has gone over to the dark side (say it ain't so!!).

If partsexpress, the home of sensible cables, can be assimilated by the audio jewellers, there's no hope for any of us !!!

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
There is absolutely no animal content in Ayurveda medicines and FYI, the FDA is not the absolute word for evaluation, this is the same crooks who passed a toxic crap like Aspartame.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I never said the FDA was the last word nor did I say all homeopathic meds are from animal products. Few additives have been as heavily studied as Aspartame and THERE IS NO CREDIBLE evidence that the stuff is harmful to the majority of people (a few are allergic or get headaches). The articles you may have seen to the contrary have been shown to be written by people with a vested interest in seeing it fail including one guy who shorted its stock prior to publishing his fabricated data. You still can't cook with it and it doesn't taste very good I admit... :p

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Dan said:
I never said the FDA was the last word nor did I say all homeopathic meds are from animal products. Few additives have been as heavily studied as Aspartame and THERE IS NO CREDIBLE evidence that the stuff is harmful to the majority of people (a few are allergic or get headaches). The articles you may have seen to the contrary have been shown to be written by people with a vested interest in seeing it fail including one guy who shorted its stock prior to publishing his fabricated data. You still can't cook with it and it doesn't taste very good I admit... :p
Why would audio corner the market :p as I indicated :D

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I guess you could say that Parts Express has given over to the darkside, but I think they just carry it because of demand. I don't see them pumping the products (they also carry oily cables), but rather just carrying them. I would venture to say that most of the people that shop there know that the crazy products are BS and wouldn't waste the money. However, noting the price on the wattgate terminations and receptacles, I understand now why even the more reasonably priced cable companies charge so much for their power cords. Oh well, we know the truth here, so we won't get sucked in by such trash.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

jaxvon said:
I guess you could say that Parts Express has given over to the darkside, but I think they just carry it because of demand. I don't see them pumping the products (they also carry oily cables), but rather just carrying them. I would venture to say that most of the people that shop there know that the crazy products are BS and wouldn't waste the money. However, noting the price on the wattgate terminations and receptacles, I understand now why even the more reasonably priced cable companies charge so much for their power cords. Oh well, we know the truth here, so we won't get sucked in by such trash.

I think you are right about carrying it because of demand. Even John Dunlavy sold his expensive speaker cables because of demand while shoing there was no difference between it and 12 ga zip :eek:

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
I wouldn't belittle "alternative" medicine too much. Most of it is herbal based....Just like traditional pharmacuticals.

And "modern" medicine still thinks that cooking the brain with electricity is an effective cure against getting genital piercings and masturbation.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
The Dark Side you say....

jaxvon said:

No we haven't gone to the dark side...we are far from it. We carry it because there are folks that want that type of stuff...and it sells. :D It is also an item that helps to sell other items. We try to carry something for everyone (within reason) that is why we sell 3 different levels of interconnect cables (Dayton, AR, and Monster). They all fill a need, some folks want monster, others don't...but as everyone knows monster sells. Hope that has set the record straight :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis