Thiel's coaxial driver tower, SCS4T

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I was interested, until I saw the magic words "break in". I will accept the break in theory as soon as the manufacturer explains how they managed to design and build their speakers that will sound so different after 100 hours. If they tell me it is because they are fortune tellers who can predict the future then I still won't believe them.:D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I was interested, until I saw the magic words "break in". I will accept the break in theory as soon as the manufacturer explains how they managed to design and build their speakers that will sound so different after 100 hours. If they tell me it is because they are fortune tellers who can predict the future then I still won't believe them.:D
I ignore the superlatives and try and get an overall impression. I'm not much of break in man myself. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So the sensitivity is 87dB w/m, and the impedance is around 4ohms frequently.

My definition of an easy load would be something like a sensitivity of > 90dB and impedance of 8ohms?:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
for 3-4k I seen better speakers...
Yeah, it's basically a +/- 3dB FR.

Soundstage/NRC should measure the NHT Absolute Zero and see if they are truly +/- less than 1dB like Home Theater Magazine said.:D

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
So the sensitivity is 87dB w/m, and the impedance is around 4ohms frequently.

My definition of an easy load would be something like a sensitivity of > 90dB and impedance of 8ohms?:D
That is where a good amp comes in, one that doubles the output when the load drops by half. I haven't seen too many amps do that of what is currently offered. My old Citation 19 does exactly that.
I've liked the sound of Thiels until I've sat there too long and get ear fatigue. But that might have had something to do with the room, also.

J

jeff1956

Enthusiast
I just bought a set
I compared to the new Cs 2.7---fabulous speakers
They have a sale on for $1999
I have incorporated a Velodyne F-1500 servo sub with them and am very happy
The details are unbelievable from my old Definitive speakers
There is a break in period to loosten up the surrounds - I'm at 50+ hours and can tell
Proof is in the putting

Any body else have Thiel setups?

SoundStage! Hi-Fi | SoundStageHiFi.com | SoundStage! Hi-Fi | SoundStageHiFi.com

The curves..
Top curve: on-axis response
Middle curve: 15 degrees off-axis response
Bottom curve: 30 degrees off-axis response

Response curve is an average of five measurements: on-axis, 15 degrees left and right off-axis, 15 degrees up and down off-axis

Looks like an easy load.

[/QUOTE]

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
That is where a good amp comes in, one that doubles the output when the load drops by half. I haven't seen too many amps do that of what is currently offered. My old Citation 19 does exactly that.
I've liked the sound of Thiels until I've sat there too long and get ear fatigue. But that might have had something to do with the room, also.
Very few ąmplifiers double power as the impedance halves, and certainly none do that without limit (compare the power of your ąmplifier into 2 ohms and 1 ohm to see what I mean).

Imagine an ąmplifier that can put out 125 watts into 8 ohms, and 200 watts into 4 ohms. What a manufacturer can do to sell to audiophiles who want an ąmplifier to double into lower impedances is simply to list in the specifications that it puts out 100 watts into 8 ohms, and 200 watts into 4 ohms. Then people believe that it doubles its power into 4 ohms, but that is not really the case, since it is actually capable of delivering 125 watts into 8 ohms.

It is very possible that your ąmplifier is rated in such a way.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis