There's A Hum In My Turntable

S

sherchlojo

Audioholic Intern
I have a Stanton 8-80 turntable connected to a Yamaha RX V-750 receiver.
When I connected the turntable to the Phono inputs on the receiver, it produced a distinct hum. The instructions that came with the receiver call for installing a ground wire to eliminate the hum. However the turntable does not have a ground wire. The turntable worked fine on my old receiver which was a Technics 950. The other components in the system work fine except for an annoying pop in the right speaker whenever I turn the receiver on or change Inputs. I think I have introduced interference into the system somewhere. Has anybody else had this problem, and what can I do to fix it?

S

sherchlojo

Audioholic Intern
I fixed it

I fixed the problem with the hum. The solution is very low-tech. The problem was in the connecting cable from the turntable to the receiver. Although the connections to the receiver phono inputs looked secure enough, when I re-connected the right channel , the hum went away. I hate to admit I overlooked the most obvious first step. The moral to the story is: Check all connections first.

JVC

JVC

Banned
Good for you!
Nothing sounds as good as a vinyl album (that's not scratched up). A cd doesn't even come close............

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis