T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Just random thoughts, I’ll need a new wife before this could be a reality.

I was looking at JBL’s professional speakers, some designed for smaller rooms, could they be used for dedicated home theater? They aren’t pretty but they are relatively inexpensive and I’m assuming you’re saving money on the aesthetics. How would something like that compare to dedicated home theater speakers in sound quality if setup properly?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why would typical consumer speakers be better? Mostly aesthetics IMO.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Just random thoughts, I’ll need a new wife before this could be a reality.

I was looking at JBL’s professional speakers, some designed for smaller rooms, could they be used for dedicated home theater? They aren’t pretty but they are relatively inexpensive and I’m assuming you’re saving money on the aesthetics. How would something like that compare to dedicated home theater speakers in sound quality if setup properly?
The key phrase is 'set up properly.' These type of speakers, cinema speakers, are intended to be used with the listener at much further distances in larger rooms than a typical domestic room. The sound of the individual drivers do not integrate until much further back than regular home audio speakers. They might not be a bad choice for large home theater rooms, but don't put them in any normal sized room.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The key phrase is 'set up properly.' These type of speakers, cinema speakers, are intended to be used with the listener at much further distances in larger rooms than a typical domestic room. The sound of the individual drivers do not integrate until much further back than regular home audio speakers. They might not be a bad choice for large home theater rooms, but don't put them in any normal sized room.
He mentions JBLs designed for smaller rooms....wonder what specifically he's looking at (and/or what JBL means by "smaller" rooms :) ).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I set up JBL LSR 305's for a friend (in a decent sized living room that opened to the dining area) wanting a budget HT in a 2.1 system along with an Infinity R12 subwoofer (no AVR). Aside from the R12 not being what we would consider a legitimate HT sub - it is not going to pressurize that space, but still puts out a useful amount of rumble, and certainly rounds out the bass absent from the LSR 305's 5-1/4" drivers.
I spent a while listening to music to make sure the sub and was very pleased with it!
At a final price of about $350, I don't think anything else could touch it.
It gets plenty loud and they liked that the JBL's would just shut off in protection mode if one of their drunk friends at one of their parties just cranked the piss out of it!
I'm not sure how well this answers the question, but I would generally agree that you can get better value out of pro-audio speakers if you are careful choosing the right stuff (and especially if you avoid the AVR)!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't the LSR 305s are quite what OP is referring to, but not sure, think more like what's used in clubs etc. I have a pair of 305s too and think they work best nearfield/small room (typical home small room that is),but are dang good for the $.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
You can throw in Yamaha HS8’s too. This is more of an academic question but from my reading dedicated home speakers fall short or cost dramatically more for the same performance.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You can throw in Yamaha HS8’s too. This is more of an academic question but from my reading dedicated home speakers fall short or cost dramatically more for the same performance.
Where do you read that home speakers fall short or cost more for the same performance?

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
In my last HT which was a 2 car garage converted to a HT... We used JBL 2360A horns with EV DH1A drivers, DIY Bass bins, with Danley DTS10 subs, JBL 8340S, AND 8320S, and it sounded great! I am one for running Pro gear as it is less expensive, and sounds as good or better than any equipment at the same price point.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
In my last HT which was a 2 car garage converted to a HT... We used JBL 2360A horns with EV DH1A drivers, DIY Bass bins, with Danley DTS10 subs, JBL 8340S, AND 8320S, and it sounded great! I am one for running Pro gear as it is less expensive, and sounds as good or better than any equipment at the same price point.
You are in good company - DTS Labs uses 5 Focal Twin6Be pro-audio monitors for their HT demonstration room!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just looked up the DTS10. Wow. I've never seen one of those before. They look all transmission line-ish. There are two 12's in there, right? Looks pretty cool.

6a0c5c87_IMG_0609.jpeg

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Triad Speakers is a Dolby partner and has consistently helped Dolby build and design prototype speaker systems that work with Dolby codecs. For instance, Triad built all the prototype Atmos speakers for Dolby during the design phase and Dolby uses Triad to demo their products at trade shows.

A little background: Triad is a Portland-based company that hand builds speakers in just about every configuration you can imagine. They will even color match the speakers and grills to match the paint on your walls.

Triad has In-Wall and angled InCeiling speakers and subwoofers that work amazingly well for spaces in which you have no floor space, or when you wish to hide the speakers from view. The company has speakers in many different price ranges, starting at $300 per speaker -- all the way up to $15k per speaker.

While not a household name, Triad is a favorite of custom installers and has won numerous industry awards.

www.triadspeakers.com

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I just looked up the DTS10. Wow. I've never seen one of those before. They look all transmission line-ish. There are two 12's in there, right? Looks pretty cool.

View attachment 31171
The overall layout is different than the lines I’ve been studying or am familiar with... especially the placement of the drivers and the opening so near at the large end of that labyrinth. I’m suspecting it is more of a horn loading concept. It definitely looks like they are still funneling the energy from the back of those drivers all the way through the box in a way that will hopefully bring it in phase with the sound waves from the front of the drivers...
@TLS Guy ? Gotta ask if you can tell what’s going on here, please? :) Too curious.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Oh yeah! I recognize that now. It’s a tapped horn if I recall correctly. I think I stumbled on some DIY plans for something like that.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Now I've had a chance to dig deeper, it is indeed the Danley Sound Labs Subwoofer:
1568130646923.png

It was hard to see in the photo above, but they have the drivers in an opposed configuration. Curious about the phase, still. This CAD drawing I found on Audio Karma from 2010 shows whats going on in the business end a little better. :)

Here's a cool link with some other photos of a build out of this behemoth:
http://wardswebllc.com/Danley_DTS10/

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Now I've had a chance to dig deeper, it is indeed the Danley Sound Labs Subwoofer:
View attachment 31175
It was hard to see in the photo above, but they have the drivers in an opposed configuration. Curious about the phase, still. This CAD drawing I found on Audio Karma from 2010 shows whats going on in the business end a little better. :)

Here's a cool link with some other photos of a build out of this behemoth:
http://wardswebllc.com/Danley_DTS10/
I ran across that one too as I was looking. It's a behemoth. I'd love to hear one in action. It's a cool looking project.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I ran across that one too as I was looking. It's a behemoth. I'd love to hear one in action. It's a cool looking project.
I'm sure it works. ;) For a pro venue, especially. And I agree, I'd love to hear it, just like I'd love to hear a TLS Guy Sub, and a JTR, and a Deep Sea, and a Funk, and... ... ... ... ... *blushes (I'll stop now.)

I do hope I can experiment with some designs, soon, especially for a TL Sub. I am still impressed with the bass from my towers, and getting to extend that quality fully to the LFE channel and other infrasonics would be amazing.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The DTS-10 was tested and reviewed here.
Those charts are cool. I like how they show the corresponding numbers when you touch the graphs. Looks like that bad boy is pretty limited above 50 hz or so. Things get pretty ugly pretty fast, but I'll bet it smashes for home theater. Very unique design.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis