Theater screen advice

A

ablack311

Audiophyte
So, I am seriously going nuts trying to decide what screen to get. I've narrowed it down to the carada, but I"m interested in hearing some input. We have a 15x26 room the projector is about 13' back and we have the panny 900. The room is a dedicated theater and is 100% light controlled. So would I want the brilliant white or the regular cinema white? I am so lost. If someone has another brand that would be better i'm open for suggestions...I just don't want to spend more then about $800.

THANKS!!

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
First off, I don't own a Carada screen. However, from all the comments, reviews, and other stuff I have read on Carada screens, the general consensus is that the Brilliant White is the best route. Judging by your budget, I assume that you're looking at the Criterion Screens.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hello,

Screen size should be based on viewing distance from the screen. The 900 has fairly good fill factor and the calculation should be 1.5-2.0 x the screen width (IE a viewing position 12ft back a 92-inch diag. screen would be a good choice). Brillant white would be a great choice also spend the extra money and get the Criterion series you will be glad you did.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The Carada Criterion series is of excellent build quality and the brilliant white screen looks excellent. While screen size should be based on viewing distance I would personally go with 100" to 106" diagonal at a 12-13 foot viewing distance. Especially with the AE900 since it lacks screen door issues that other projectors tend to have.

The added gain just gives the image a bit more 'pop' without taking away from almost anything else in the image. Ideal for the darker rooms and what I would consider ideal for 90%+ of all home theaters where a fixed screen can be used.

A

ablack311

Audiophyte
Thanks everyone for your advice. I guess I'll slurge for the brilliant white then!!

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
personally go with 100" to 106" diagonal at a 12-13 foot viewing distance. Especially with the AE900 since it lacks
Keep in mind that the reason to use calculated screen sizes are not solely based on viewing SDE.

A

ablack311

Audiophyte
Right now we have a sheet put up and have the screen about 120" it seems like it looks fine. Even sitting on the front row I don't see SDE and I find that I can see everything without having to move my head all over the place. I don't think I could convince hubby of a smaller size. He is of the opinion that biggest is best-est! LOL

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
RLA said:
Keep in mind that the reason to use calculated screen sizes are not solely based on viewing SDE.
Of course, I typically base screen size on the front end using THX recommended 1.5x screen width, but then also consider the room conditions, projector brightness, projector resolution, viewing material, etc.

The AE900 I have setup and used on my 106" diagonal .8 gain screen and have heard positive reports up to about 120" diagonal.

The personal preference thing is a biggie! If someone has brought it into their home and tried it at 120" (as is the case here) I wouldn't tell them they are wrong. It may be a bit bigger than typically recommended, but it is a fun size and really can give more of a theater feel for those enjoying it. The Carada only will help with that since the positive gain will give that larger image size more kick.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis