"The Wrestler" pins my DV7600

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Any clues what might be happening here? I recently got The Wrestler from Netflix and it wouldn't play in my Marantz DV7600. Cleaned it, still nothing. Popped it in my iMac and it worked, but still conceded that it might be a disc problem. I reported the disc problem to Netflix and they promptly sent me another copy. The second copy arrived and the exact same scenario played out; got the "No Disc" message on my DV7600, but it once again played perfectly on my computer. The player has not had any issues playing any other disc, dvd or cd, so what gives? Any ideas? :confused:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Any clues what might be happening here? I recently got The Wrestler from Netflix and it wouldn't play in my Marantz DV7600. Cleaned it, still nothing. Popped it in my iMac and it worked, but still conceded that it might be a disc problem. I reported the disc problem to Netflix and they promptly sent me another copy. The second copy arrived and the exact same scenario played out; got the "No Disc" message on my DV7600, but it once again played perfectly on my computer. The player has not had any issues playing any other disc, dvd or cd, so what gives? Any ideas? :confused:
It is not rare to have disc that will play on some transports and not others. This is one of the biggest mysteries of laser read discs. I will say this though the failure to play disc is in direct proportion to the cost of the player. In other words expensive players reject more discs than cheaper ones.

I have lifted this from the Hyperion site. It applies equally to DVD and Blue Ray.

FAULTY CDs

Quote: -{In proportion to the enormous quantities of CDs which are manufactured, faulty ones are extremely rare -- far far fewer than was the case with long-playing vinyl discs.

We at Hyperion receive about 100 to 150 so-called `faulties' per year, returned from customers. In addition we receive a similar number of reports of faulties (by phone, letter, email etc). That makes a total of about 300 complaints a year. Of those, perhaps 3 only are found to be justified and the discs in question truly faulty.

The 'fault' most commonly reported is failure to play -- usually one or two tracks, but sometimes the entire disc. This is one of the greatest mysteries of CDs: Why does a certain disc fail to play on a particular machine? Frequently a customer complains that a particular CD 'won't play' or 'jumps'. They usually say that they've never encountered the problem before and every other CD plays perfectly well on the same machine, therefore there must be something wrong with the disc. Upon being advised to try the CD on another machine they are usually nonplussed to find that it does in fact play perfectly satisfactorily, with nothing apparently wrong with it. This puzzling fact can lead to all sorts of strange cases. One disc was replaced for a Hyperion customer no fewer than NINE TIMES. In every case the replacement disc was tried, and found to be satisfactory, before being sent. They all refused to play except the ninth copy! And yet they were all identical and from the same pressing run. And not a single complaint was received from any of the other 15,000 people who had bought the same CD. One Hyperion artist was sent six copies of one of his CDs soon after issue. "They're all faulty!" he afterwards phoned to say in great agitation. "It will have to be repressed." Yet copies had already gone to journalists, the radio stations and other people, and there had been no complaint. But he refused to believe that there was nothing wrong with the disc until he was taken to my car and the whole disc was played through on the car CD-player with no trouble at all.

This phenomenon, for which nobody seems to have an explanation, is currently being investigated by at least one CD factory.

It occasionally happens that a disc is found to contain the wrong music, although the label is correct. This can happen in a CD plant at the end/beginning of a run when stampers are changed in the press, out of sync with the labelling machine. It is a human error and usually affects only one or two copies, so if you find yourself with one you have been very unfortunate. It will of course be replaced.

It is a sad fact that many of the CDs returned to us as faulty exhibit the causes of the fault only too blatantly as finger-marks and other dubious foreign matter of unknown origin. On one occasion marmalade was diagnosed. Many of the returned discs have obviously been maltreated and show not only finger-marks but scratches and blobs and other bits of dirt.

The microscopic information on a compact disc should be respected and the disc treated with care. Laser beams cannot pierce layers of human detritus.}

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis