The Ultimate Battle : Stereo Performance of AVRs ?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Why not a shoot out? I wonder how some AVR's would handle 4 ohm speakers, like the new JBL L100 Classics in stereo or multi-channel. Now, I do not wonder much, since I likely will never contemplate an AVR. My separates handle stereo and multi-channel without issue. Plus, my passion these days is for multi-channel audio pleasures. BTW, a header I just saw here advertising ARCAM AVR's is tagged "perfecting home cinema and stereo performance" so maybe the shootout can begin with an evaluation of that brand/model stereo performance.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why not a shoot out? I wonder how some AVR's would handle 4 ohm speakers, like the new JBL L100 Classics in stereo or multi-channel. Now, I do not wonder much, since I likely will never contemplate an AVR. My separates handle stereo and multi-channel without issue. Plus, my passion these days is for multi-channel audio pleasures. BTW, a header I just saw here advertising ARCAM AVR's is tagged "perfecting home cinema and stereo performance" so maybe the shootout can begin with an evaluation of that brand/model stereo performance.
A head to head comparison of brands could be interesting. Especially if including some boutique brands like Arcam, Nad, Anthem, etc.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Sterling
Didn't you or another long time member suggest this already. Tongue in cheek perhaps.
This would be like a slugfest between minivans.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sterling
Didn't you or another long time member suggest this already. Tongue in cheek perhaps.
This would be like a slugfest between minivans.
I could be guilty as charged but anything I've posted would have been about stereo today in a multi-channel world. My wish is for producers/artists to present their recorded music in multi-channel, in addition to stereo, i.e. hybrid SACD discs. Those with stereo equipment can enjoy and those with multi-channel equipment can get breath and depth not apparent in a stereo performance.

Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic
My favorite is when people try to describe equipment as "warm" or "bright"
I know I am coming into this late but I will say that I have seen equipment that runs quite warm as well as some that the display is much brighter than it should be for use in a home theater setting or even for listening to romantic 2 channel music in a dark room with your significant other...

Oh, you were talking about a warm or bright sound, well, no AVR or stereo amp and seperates I have heard in recent times has had an impact on the sound.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I could be guilty as charged but anything I've posted would have been about stereo today in a multi-channel world. My wish is for producers/artists to present their recorded music in multi-channel, in addition to stereo, i.e. hybrid SACD discs. Those with stereo equipment can enjoy and those with multi-channel equipment can get breath and depth not apparent in a stereo performance.
Sterling
I think I would have a similar wish. I am just a stereo guy but that's by choice and that's the way I like it. But, I've run 5.1 systems before and with the right program material they could sound pretty good too. If production companies gave the choice, I think it would help us all.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis