The total eclipse is coming up soon

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
NASA is in Hopkinsville, KY right now as we speak. They are on my local news. Never thought about NASA showing up! :eek::eek::eek: Totality in only 59 minutes!

Phil

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Watched @NasaTV whole evening, pretty amazing, as close as we could get to it from here :p

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Got really dark here. Was going to make the drive to Hoptown and see it in full. However, have some car troubles and I think it is my battery. I know for a fact it is not the terminals. Going to take it out and have it tested. Have a feeling I am going to be buying a new battery this afternoon. However, batteries sure have gone up! $120 plus tax for a battery? Really? Oh well it is what it is.

Cheers,

Phil

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Got really dark here. Was going to make the drive to Hoptown and see it in full. However, have some car troubles and I think it is my battery. I know for a fact it is not the terminals. Going to take it out and have it tested. Have a feeling I am going to be buying a new battery this afternoon. However, batteries sure have gone up! $120 plus tax for a battery? Really? Oh well it is what it is.

Cheers,

Phil
LOL, It's the Universe playing tricks with you, your car got disturbed by the eclipse :eek:

EDIT: Good luck with the battery Phil, been there, done that
Once I had a car where I had one go to start it, if it failed starting at first try, I knew the battery would be too low.

It was an excersize in concentration to start that car.

Take care :p

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good ol' pinhole camera gave me the best view. Didn't even get that dark here. Looked overcast with blue skies for about an hour.
It was too smoky outside (forest fires) to want to be outside mostly, watched a bit on tv and went outside at the peak....pretty dark but we're only 98.32 % here.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I heard this interesting question on NasaTV today, someone asked: Is it safe to go outside during the eclipse if I don't wear these glasses and don't look at the sun

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I heard this interesting question on NasaTV today, someone asked: Is it safe to go outside during the eclipse if I don't wear these glasses and don't look at the sun
This makes me so sad... :(

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
You know, as paranoid as we're taught to be about looking at eclipses, I'm not surprised someone asked this. During our last full eclipse around 35 years ago or so, the internet wasn't around to explain the dangers and safe viewing procedures during an eclipse. Indeed, I never learned until this year that the danger is in fighting the reflex to look away from the exposed sun, but that it is perfectly safe to stare the eclipse full in its face during totality when only the corona is visible.

Also, I took a few photos if anyone cares. Don't get too excited though. I wasn't quite in the path of totality this time. I just dug the shifting of colors, like a sepia effect overlaid the world and the shadows grew in contrast. It was surreal.

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I just commented in the boring thread... I'm still in KY and will upload a bunch of SLR pics later this week once I replace photobucket.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja

Cheers,

Phil
Hopkinsville had the longest totality and weather was perfect. An amazing experience that I highly recommend to anyone so start making reservations for the next one!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hopkinsville had the longest totality and weather was perfect. An amazing experience that I highly recommend to anyone so start making reservations for the next one!
Yeah, I was thinking about driving on down to Hoptown since it is only 76-miles south of me. However, ended up replacing my car battery. Just wished I had known from the get go that is all it was. Sometimes, things are not so apparent. However, after looking at all the traffic issues from Hoptown all the way north even past my hometown, I am glad that I did not have to deal with any of that. It is still a mess right now as we speak. :D:D:D

Cheers,

Phil

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
You know, as paranoid as we're taught to be about looking at eclipses, I'm not surprised someone asked this. During our last full eclipse around 35 years ago or so, the internet wasn't around to explain the dangers and safe viewing procedures during an eclipse. Indeed, I never learned until this year that the danger is in fighting the reflex to look away from the exposed sun, but that it is perfectly safe to stare the eclipse full in its face during totality when only the corona is visible.

Also, I took a few photos if anyone cares. Don't get too excited though. I wasn't quite in the path of totality this time. I just dug the shifting of colors, like a sepia effect overlaid the world and the shadows grew in contrast. It was surreal.
"Perfectly safe"? Really? How long did that image remain when you closed your eyes?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
To be fair, maybe they were worried about catching a glimpse of the eclipse off of reflective surfaces that could still have been bright enough to damage their vision.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
"Perfectly safe"? Really? How long did that image remain when you closed your eyes?
I'm sure the coronal image is seared into his memory.

To be fair, maybe they were worried about catching a glimpse of the eclipse off of reflective surfaces that could still have been bright enough to damage their vision.
If this is something they are worried about, they should also worry about that everyday with the sun.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, who stares at the sun usually? I can see that the effects would ramp up from totality to return to sunshine, tho...

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Awesome experience, even only by following on NasaTV

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
It didn't. I wasn't in the path of totality. All my viewing of the sun happened through a welder's mask.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
It didn't. I wasn't in the path of totality. All my viewing of the sun happened through a welder's mask.
That was actually a question from someone asking if it's safe to be outside WHEN YOU ARE NOT LOOKING AT THE SUN :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis