The start of a long journey...

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Well... maybe not that long. Long story short, I bought a house and have some challenges.

basement back.jpg
basement front.jpg

My questions are about room design and not equipment suggestions.

The screen you see in the pic is 106 inches on the diagonal. I've learned that your listening angle should be between 36 and 40 degrees and using this tool http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html 12 feet works out to about right for a 120 inch screen. The middle couch in the picture is roughly at 15 feet to the ear.

Room not including bar area is 13 feet wide and change.

Facts:

• Currently have Totem Tribe 5 and Totem Winds for the front section.

• Would like my mains beside the screen and not in behind.

• Center channel mounted behind the screen

• Would like to get some Dual Seaton F18s eventually

• Smart glass for the equipment rack would be pretty swell

Questions:

1. I like the look of the 2:35 aspect ratio but do all projectors work for this type of screen?

2. Also considering a 16:9 fixed screen @ 120 inches. Thoughts?

1. Biggest issue**** Rear channels will be tricky to implement as you can see because of the large space that is currently taken up by the pool table. . I was thinking of eventually making a riser and then having a long table a couple of feet from the rear of the back seat with two Totem tribe 3s horizontally positioned with stands.

1. Adding some mobile acoustic panels on stands that will sit on the same rear table as the rear speakers. Thoughts?

2. The bar side channel is also tricky. Maybe a hanging tribe 3 from the ceiling? Or another stand for the tribe 3?

Thoughts would be appreciated. I will post pictures as I go and hopefully you will enjoy the process as much as I am going to be. Move in will be end of June so we got some time. This will likely happen in stages and will start to set up the equipment I currently have and go from there.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Why are you looking at AT Screens if you won't be putting speakers behind the screen?

Doesn't make sense.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Why are you looking at AT Screens if you won't be putting speakers behind the screen?

Doesn't make sense.
Because the centre channel will be behind it as well as some speakers at the top behind the screen once I get Atmos.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Most projectors are for 16:9 screens.

If you get a PJ with Powered Zoom and Powered Vertical/Horizontal Lens Shift like the Epson 5040UB, then you could change the zoom/shift by remote to fit your 2.35:1 screen at no extra charge. There is also a Memory feature that stores the Zoom/Lens Shift so you easily go back and forth.

Or you could spend another $2,000 for the anamorphic lens. :eek:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Because the centre channel will be behind it as well as some speakers at the top behind the screen once I get Atmos.
I've never used AT screens, so I don't have experience here. But just thinking out loud:

1. You'll have to make sure the screen is far enough away from the wall for the speakers.

2. If you have to change speakers, you'll have to remove the PJ screen first.

3. Since your front L/R speakers are on the sides of the screen anyway, couldn't you place the height speakers above the front L/R speakers? And the Center speaker just below the screen?

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Most projectors are for 16:9 screens.

If you get a PJ with Powered Zoom and Powered Vertical/Horizontal Lens Shift like the Epson 5040UB, then you could change the zoom/shift by remote to fit your 2.35:1 screen at no extra charge. There is also a Memory feature that stores the Zoom/Lens Shift so you easily go back and forth.

Or you could spend another $2,000 for the anamorphic lens. :eek:
hmm sounds like they are more expensive then. I would like to get either a SONY (i.e. Sony VPL-VW285ES) or something like it that is capable of 4K. I am also interested in the JVC. I've heard those two are the best.

Regarding the centre channel behind the screen, The tweeters on the mains will likely be above the bottom level of the screen and I want the centre at the same height. Plus, I think it looks cleaner. I don't like the look of a ton of speakers exposed.

It would be cool to put the subs in the back of the screen and LED them up as well.... maybe. Or, the subs may go behind the couch depending on the measurements. I've also read that they place well behind the listening position as well.

Last edited:
moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I've never used AT screens, so I don't have experience here. But just thinking out loud:

1. You'll have to make sure the screen is far enough away from the wall for the speakers.

2. If you have to change speakers, you'll have to remove the PJ screen first. ( I don't think I will be changing speakers any time soon :) Cost too much to change the front 3. Don't have the loot. Plus, since its a new house, there are a ton of other expenses to consider ;)

3. Since your front L/R speakers are on the sides of the screen anyway, couldn't you place the height speakers above the front L/R speakers? And the Center speaker just below the screen?Don't like the busy look with them exposed.

Last edited:
Z

Zman7505

Audioholic Intern
The whole point of an anamorphic lens is to gain the lost resolution, zooming in especially with an hd projector would be a total waste. No benefit there at all.

You can get away with it on a true 4k projector because it has so much resolution but even then you're not getting the complete benefit.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I will very likely just go 16:9. The room is 15.3 feet wide.... if it was a 20 foot wide room then maybe a widescreen would work better. I will just get the masking panels to blackout the bars that are being projected.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Challenges? Let me make this simple for you...

See that bar to the right? Go over to it and pour a nice long whisky.

See that barstool? Get on it and drink that whisky.

See that remote? Hit the power button and listen to your favorite music.

When you get a chance and it doesn't have to be soon, spread your speakers out 3 more inches and throw a center on a stand.

Tomorrow order a bigger sub.

In between each step, drink another Whisky...

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmkNrbuR Finally moved in and have some slow internet but here are a few more pics of my gear getting into place. I'll be renting a paint sprayer and painting the red walls and white ceiling black.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis