The Sierra's have moved east

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
So your 2-channel thoughts are?
I just had my first chance to listen to some serious music on the Sierra's. The album I chose was Chicago II, a very challenging cd for speakers. I then listened to the album on my den system while impressions were fresh in my mind.
The family room has a Marantz A/v receiver and an Onkyo dvd player while my den system has a Bryston amplifier, Parasound pre-amp, NAD dvd player and Infinity Kappa 400 speakers. So keep in mind that the den equipment is far superior. When I began reading these type of forums I thought that my demands were less than most of you. However, after attending a few get togethers, I realized that I was far more demanding in sound quality than the average enthusiast. Please keep that in mind when I discuss the merits of the Sierra-1.

During the initial songs I could not help lamenting the harshness of the brass (Chicago II contains entended and often complex movements of flute, trombone, trumpet, and other brass instruments). On the other hand the piano solos and male vocals were sweet, indeed. The bass was not lacking in any way while not dominating the music.

However, the imaging was spectacular. It was very easy to close ones eyes and hear the different instruments. The trumpet in front, the drums by the fishtank (to the right), piano distinct and clear of the trumpet, etc...

From drums through male vocals there was no noticed brightness though not at all laid back either. I cannot put my finger on the right word but lets say the speakers transmit the spirit of the music (vibrancy, perhaps).

I listened to the album immediately after in the den to determine if I was being unfair. I was not. I have attened concerts in Carnagie Hall and know what instruments should sound like. The brass on my Infinity's was clear, unwavering, with a live performance smoothness. The Infinity speakers were far move expensive (about 3 times). Since few of you are familiar with them I would compare them to the B&W 700 series foorstanders.

I must raise one very important point, however. The owner of Ascend suggests 50 hours break-in for the tweeters. I recall how harsh the Infinity speakers were during the break-in so I have no trouble anticipating a huge improvement in the coming months. On the Ascend site some of the early purchasers mentioned turning loud music on all day while at work to speed the softening process. This leads me to believe my impressions are not singular. Since the Sierra's are in the family room and not my primary music system it may take a few months to fairly judge the speakers as TV and movies are the general rule (The family room I consider the wife's domain).

This is not to say the speakers are unpleasant on material less demanding of the tweeter. Watching an Elton John dvd as well as Phil Collins presented a very satisfying 5 channel listening experience. The midrange of these speakers is special right out of the box.

During the last get together my opinions of the Strata Minni's was similar. Impressive midrange harsh tweeter. I did not like the bass but attributed that to the positioning of the power towers. It is so very difficult to compare speakers right out of the box. I think it will take at least two months before a showdown with your Polks would be useful.

The get togethers with you somewhat younger guys are fun but I think extended listening to just two products along with the 'house speakers' should be the limit in a given day.

Anyway, I have tried to give my initial two-channel impressions. It will be two months before I can makie a definitive opinion. Meanwhile, hopefully some of the other purchasers that are running the speakers in their primary system will give reviews post-break-in sooner than I will be able to.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Mudshark

Thank you for a very honest and insightful review! You are one of very few to have found a minor fault in this speaker. I read the caption that was sent buy Ascend pertaining to the improvement in sound occurring during the break in period. Needless to say, this is one fine speaker and I look forward to your thoughts down the road. One last thing, how much better where they then your previous Ascends.

Thanks, Billy p :)

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
Great stuff.

Is it possible to try them with the electronics in the den?

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
Billy P:

I only had the previous Ascends for 30 days (two 170-Se and 340 center). I had no intention of returning them until the Sierra-1 was released. I only had a few days to mull it over but decided for less than $500 additional going the top of their line was the way to go.

The Sierra speakers are a substantial improvement for music and since they do not require a sub can be equally adept in one's 2-channel music room or the mains in the family home theatre. However, in a HT with a capable subwoofer the 170-se are a great value for the mains and probably overkill for surround duty. I would have been very content to keep the 170's for the home theatre. If you went with the 170-se up front the option of upgrading later to the Sierra and placing the 170-se in surround duty would exist. Just food for thought.

The 340 model I cannot make much of a judgement on since I only used it as a center channel for the 30 days I had it. If your budget can stand it, consider Sierra's up front and the model 200 for the surrounds. I purchased b-stock piano black but cannot find a blemish on it. This may cut the price a bit more. Disclaimer: I am not as picky about appearence as sound quality.

Silversurfer: That's a good idea. I can easily do so although I will not be able to A/b as the Bryston only supports one set of speakers. I will try that in a month when the tweeters have softened a bit.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
A very valid point, Tex. It was an oversight not to mention the tougher environment of the family room.

One thing I did not mention is both of my speaker systems are unforgiving of poorly recorded music. If Staind is your forte this is not the speaker for you. If modern Heavy metal or rap is your preferred outlet then go see your favorite Klipsch dealer.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
One thing I did not mention is both of my speaker systems are unforgiving of poorly recorded music.
:D I've discovered a few bad discs with the Sierras that weren't revealed as such with my 170SEs. On the other hand good discs sound great.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I'm always disappointed when a disc I liked before is shown to be less than ideally recorded or mastered on my speakers.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
But the payoff with the good recordings... heaven!

And I still have my Axiom M3Tis, by all accounts a good speaker but nowhere near as revealing as my Totems.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis