The SEPARATES vs. AVR Thread

Do Separates (Preamps or Pre-pros + Amps) Sound Better Than AVRs in Direct/Bypass Modes?

• Yes, Separates sound better than AVRs

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • No, Separates and AVRs sound about the same

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • No, Separates and AVRs sound about the same when they are similar in price range

Votes: 22 26.2%

• Total voters
Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Sorry for the misunderstanding. It does not go in the telly it goes in the AVR. You then don't use the TV apps. :)

Yesterday I tried the iPlayer 4k HLG output for the World cup final. I lasted about 10 seconds. The OTA HD was much better.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
Agreed, I would add that eARC is probably redundant and not needed for most people because only 2017/18 AVRs will come with eARC or cannot upgraded via firmware, yet 2017/18 models already can pass the latest audio/video codecs/formats so the latest external 4K devices with the latest audio codecs/formats can be connected to them directly. The irony is, those who can benefit from eARC are those with 2016 and earlier AVRs that are not eARC capable and cannot be upgraded via firmware. May be I am missing something..
The value of eARC is primarily for application running on the display. The other is to permit connecting a 4K device to the TV with the TV then relaying the audio. The latter is not very useful for players that can be connected via the AVR/Processor.

I don't get your 2016 AVR point.

- Rich

RichB

RichB

As far as I can tell, HDR10+ seems to require the HDMI 2.1 feature support.

- Rich

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It’s just a matter of time before streaming catches up. The Dolby Digital plus isn’t bad sound for me but I want Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA in at least 5.1. Atmos or DTSX would be even better...

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The value of eARC is primarily for application running on the display. The other is to permit connecting a 4K device to the TV with the TV then relaying the audio. The latter is not very useful for players that can be connected via the AVR/Processor.

I don't get your 2016 AVR point.

- Rich
But that's my point, the smart TV apps typically don't offer the HD audio codecs anyway. I guess you are right in case the 2019 and beyond smart TV apps do, for those who don't have the latest Apple TV, BDPs etc.

RichB

RichB

But that's my point, the smart TV apps typically don't offer the HD audio codecs anyway. I guess you are right in case the 2019 and beyond smart TV apps do, for those who don't have the latest Apple TV, BDPs etc.
Conceivably, PLEX and other apps could provide lossless sound. The primary benefit should be ARC that works reliably.

- Rich

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
This will largely depend upon the chipset and drivers supporting passthru bitstream, and of course the App. This is already possible with some, but not all, Android TV Hdmi 2.0 boxes with the SMTP version of Kodi. Some required a special firmware and others work just fine with the vanilla version of Kodi. I suspect the Plex apps maybe similar.

Since the intended purpose of eARC is to pass the full range of codecs in theory it will, in practice however it will be a very different story. It may be a bit hit or miss when capable TVs first arrive. Likely the big brands such as Sony, LG and Samsung it won't be a problem. I do forsee a lot of threads when this turns up. ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
BTW, the new ATI ATP16 Pre-pro will be showing at CEDIA next month (September).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It’s a fact, no longer rumor. Yamaha is setting up to replace their flagship pre-pro CX-A5100. Official words.

That means prices on the CX-A5100 is about to drop probably today or tomorrow, boys.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
It’s a fact, no longer rumor. Yamaha is setting up to replace their flagship pre-pro CX-A5100. Official words.

That means prices on the CX-A5100 is about to drop probably today or tomorrow, boys.
Will you replace your unit with 5200 or keep it for some time?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wait, aren’t you a dealer? Wouldn’t you know before us? :) Yamaha 5300? :)
They haven't released any details yet to dealers. I just got the news that Yamaha was clearing the CX-A5100 to make room for the CX-A5200. But no details on the CX-A5200.

I think some people may have insider info that dealers don't have. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Got definite confirmation on the clearance price on the CX-A5100 today. :D

Last edited:
Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Apparently the MX A5000 is in line also for an update which would be nice as I think this is the part that lets down the whole package. :cool:

By the looks of it, it will also feature the Dolby up-mixing restriction of the xx80 series. ;)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Apparently the MX A5000 is in line also for an update which would be nice as I think this is the part that lets down the whole package. :cool:

By the looks of it, it will also feature the Dolby up-mixing restriction of the xx80 series. ;)
What is the Dolby upmix issue??

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Breaking News

CX-A5200 / 11.2-channel AV Preamplifier
Supreme Performance. Built from the ground up, this preamplifier processor delivers the best in performance and technology. Harness the latest technologies in audio and video in your theater and pair it with the MX-A5200 Amplifier for the ultimate experience.
  • 11.2-ch with balanced XLR outputs
  • Dolby Atmos and DTS:X up to 7.2.4-channel processing
  • Dual ESS SABRE PRO ES9026PRO Ultra DAC
  • Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, AirPlay®, Spotify Connect and MusicCast multi-room
  • Pandora®, Spotify, SiriusXM Internet Radio, TIDAL, Deezer, Napster and more
  • HDMI with HDCP 2.2 (7 in/3 out)
  • 4K Ultra HD, HDR10, Dolby Vision™, Hybrid Log-Gamma and BT.2020
  • Voice control using your Alexa device like Echo or Echo Dot
  • Surround:AI™ technology automatically optimizes the sound in real-time
  • YPAO R.S.C. with 3D, 64-bit precision EQ calculation and angle measurement
  • Phono input

MX-A5200 / 11-Ch Power Amplifier
Supreme Power. Engineered to deliver on power and performance, this amplifier harnesses the best in power performance that drives from a technological engineering marvel. Featuring the highest quality in components for amplifiers, pair it with the CX-A5200 AV Preamplifier Processor for the ultimate theater experience.
  • 150 W per Channel (8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.6% THD, 2-ch driven)
  • Yamaha engineered toroidal transformer and custom block capacitors
  • Power amp with three-stage Darlington circuit
  • Bridge-Tied Load (BTL) support

Last edited:
Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
@snakeeyes Over at the other place, they have been questioning whether the new Dolby License has already put in place the restrictions on DSU processing of Dts or any other formats. This has been discussed here previously as a bad move and is due for any 2018 and possibly 2017 models as a required update.

Apparently the manual for the Yamaha Axx80 series has a page on this, but there appears to be debate about whether it is actually currently enabled. All manufacturers are to have this imposed as part of the Dolby License agreement but there has been no indication so far with the Marantz or Denon users.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis