The SEPARATES vs. AVR Thread

Do Separates (Preamps or Pre-pros + Amps) Sound Better Than AVRs in Direct/Bypass Modes?

• Yes, Separates sound better than AVRs

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • No, Separates and AVRs sound about the same

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • No, Separates and AVRs sound about the same when they are similar in price range

Votes: 22 26.2%

• Total voters
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Well, the name of this thread is “Separates vs AVR”, not “Pre-pros vs AVR”. :D

And the purest separates are the pure analog stereo preamps and amps.
Yes and I am in the 'separates camp'. I like the flexibility it offers with regards to choices made for individual components. Source > amplification ..... TT (VPI Aries 3) > Fosgate phono-pre > ARC LS28 line stage > Pass labs X260.8's

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Well, the name of this thread is “Separates vs AVR”, not “Pre-pros vs AVR”. :D
Yeah, but with the term AVR in the title, it did direct the discussion. I can see it now, Mikado cross-shops his pre-amps (he uses two in series) with an AVR. Uh-huh. Makes perfect sense. :)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I can see it now, Mikado cross-shops his pre-amps (he uses two in series) with an AVR. Uh-huh. Makes perfect sense. :)
No.......... I use a phono preamp which then feeds my line stage preamp which then feeds a pair of mono block amps.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
No.......... I use a phono preamp which then feeds my line stage preamp which then feeds a pair of mono block amps.
Yes.... a phono pre-amp and a line stage pre-amp are two pre-amps in series.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Really? I meant something you can buy from a store, not DIY though, and audiophile kind of specs and build quality.
Yeah, it was probably something you buy online, not something you could buy at a store. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, but with the term AVR in the title, it did direct the discussion. I can see it now, Mikado cross-shops his pre-amps (he uses two in series) with an AVR. Uh-huh. Makes perfect sense. :)
There’s nothing wrong with using an AVR for Pure 2CH music.

As @PENG has shown with FR graphs, the Denon X3400 7.1 AVR measures at least as well as a separate Stereo Preamp for 2CH.

I’ve compared AVR with other high-end analog stereo preamps. For some people who don’t care for all the audio theories, religions, and SNR of 130dB and just want simple 2CH music, an AVR will do just fine. It may not be for everyone, but it is just fine for many.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General

As @PENG has shown with FR graphs, the Denon X3400 7.1 AVR measures at least as well as a separate Stereo Preamp for 2CH.

I’ve compared AVR with other high-end analog stereo preamps. For some people who don’t care for all the audio theories, religions, and SNR of 130dB and just want simple 2CH music, an AVR will do just fine. It may not be for everyone, but it is just fine for many.
AVRs work for me.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I've heard all of this. An AVR is still like using a Leatherman tool as a steak knife. Why not? It still cuts, right? But I'd just rather have an actual steak knife.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I've heard all of this. An AVR is still like using a Leatherman tool as a steak knife. Why not? It still cuts, right? But I'd just rather have an actual steak knife.

Hate to tell you, it feels good to have both.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis